Sometimes, as in this instance, I feel so awkward.

Not sure why exactly, but, it has just dawned on me. From an employee perspective, there is no law or employee handbook ruling that says you must have your work email on your smartphone.

Why do we subject ourselves by having work email on our smartphones? Even more so, when certain companies do not pay a phone allowance.

My career is in IT, and well, I just presumed it came naturally to have my work email on my phone.

Over the past few months, there has been a change afoot, at work. And, well, it is causing me to pay even closer attention to things. In addition to now asking the question about work email on any personal device.

Thoughts
    03-10-2020 07:58 AM
    I have it one one of my main phone but not my secondary one. It is not good for me to have access to my work email at all times because it does not allow me to step away from the job. It is something that I have been battling and have even considered removing my work email from my main phone. Right now, I’ve just been forcing myself to not check.
    nikkisharif and ivantwilliams like this.
    03-12-2020 07:45 PM
    I have it on one of my devices, so I can check it when I’m on the clock but out & about without a laptop. Other than that, I never feel the need to look at it. I’m just not that person...when I’m off I’m off or you need to compensate me. My work week is 37.5 hours, you get nothing more! I’ve also never had the mentality that I’m needed to the point that it interrupts my personal life. I don’t even have notifications turned on. When I’m off, I literally don’t care
    03-12-2020 11:14 PM
    I have it on one of my devices, so I can check it when I’m on the clock but out & about without a laptop. Other than that, I never feel the need to look at it. I’m just not that person...when I’m off I’m off or you need to compensate me. My work week is 37.5 hours, you get nothing more! I’ve also never had the mentality that I’m needed to the point that it interrupts my personal life. I don’t even have notifications turned on. When I’m off, I literally don’t care
    Can you please teach me your ways? Lol! But seriously, I need to practice this mindset.
    nikkisharif and ivantwilliams like this.
    03-13-2020 07:02 AM
    I am in tears here, LMAO at this. Love it!
    As I get older, that is my mentality.

nikkisharif likes this.
    03-13-2020 04:26 PM
    For the last three business days, I have not checked company email on my smartphone or tablet (both during and outside of business hours).

Yep, progress.
    nikkisharif and Anastayja1 like this.
    03-13-2020 04:26 PM
    Can you please teach me your ways? Lol! But seriously, I need to practice this mindset.
    It’s my mindset for everything!! Family & friends included It keeps me at peace & drama free. My phone stays on DND & I make phone calls as it’s convenient for me, & I have a few people that are in my favorites. I’m too old to be bothered

I am in tears here, LMAO at this. Love it!
    As I get older, that is my mentality.
    It’s the best...time is money!!! Don’t sell yourself short!
    Anastayja1 and ivantwilliams like this.
    03-13-2020 04:43 PM
    I have access to work email on my personal phone so that I don't have to tote around 2 phones all the time. If need be, I just call forward my work phone. My work email is setup on its own in the Outlook app with all notifications turned off.
    03-14-2020 11:14 PM
    Brilliantly said!
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-28-2020 09:43 AM
    Nothing wrong with this logic and I understand completely. I traveled the world when I was working and what always amazed me when I worked in the auto plants in Europe, Asia, South America and the U.K. was when you are off the work clock, you leave your job at the plant.

They don’t talk about work. Unlike us folks here in the US where we would talk shop while eating dinner and actually solved some of the issues we had had during the day when you don’t have someone looking over your shoulder.

It taught me a lot about people working in different countries and to this day I have always had the same logic when I was traveling in another country, when in Rome, you do as the Romans do. My hats off to you sir
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-28-2020 05:51 PM