I'll admit, I've been doing this for quite some time now. And it very well may be having a negative impact, but I'm curious to know how may are doing this or have done this in the past.

So, you come across a job ad for a position you may be interested in. The requirements fall into place with that which you already have:
    -some form of degree
    -minimum number of years experience
    -experience on this type and that type of equipment
    -some experience can be used in lieu of degree
    -certification from this company and that company

So you fill in all the requested info and submit. Sometime later you get a phone call and first interview. Then you get a callback for a second interview. Then the final interview comes just to find out the job is paying a whole lot LESS than what you are currently making. At this point you've probably spent an hour-ish on the phone and used several lunch hours driving to the interviews.

So you see another ad that you submit for and get a call. During that initial phone call, do you go ahead and ask what the salary range is, or do you take that chance and go through the whole process again, just to possibly find out it's paying less?
    09-05-2018 03:40 PM
    I don’t think it’s rude to ask for a salary range before any interview. Obviously salary offered might influenced by experience and education, BUT they should be able to provide a range. “This job pays between 45 and 75 thousand per year based on experience and education.” Etc
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    09-05-2018 03:51 PM
    I completely agree! It is not rude, and I feel that the companies hiring should offer some indication about the salary range up front! If they don't, then they are potentially wasting their time, as well as the applicants time! SMH
    09-05-2018 04:28 PM
    I once said, when I met the HR:

Hi! I’m <my name>. I’m gonna save us all time, what’s the salary?

HR: In the brackets set by our company.

Me: Which is?

HR: Between <incredibly ridiculous> and <still ridiculous>.

Me: Well, thanks for your time!

And I left.
    mumfoau, pkcable and nikkisharif like this.
    09-05-2018 04:33 PM
    I always ask for their range and Then let them know if that’s acceptable to me.

I never lead with a fixed value because if it’s below their range you’ve locked yourself into less than you could be getting. LOL
    09-06-2018 08:05 AM