Since my new iPhone 6S Plus, new Apple TV, and iPad Air 2 all support 802.11ac wifi, or up to 866mbps download, I decided I wanted Google Fiber. I was first upset with my apartment complex because they didn't tell me Google Fiber was an Internet option, my only gigabit choice here. However, I made the switch last week. Great, got it all setup and was excited to see that 800mbps limit. I only see 400mbps consistently, 500mbps on a good connection. I was disappointed. Now I work with fiber and copper networks for CCTV at work, naturally I assumed it was maybe transferring from fiber to copper caused the decrease in speed. Nope! Turns out a small amount of research tells you that Google isn't particularly upfront about installing an 802.11b/g/n router than an 802.11ac router.

Why is that an issue? Simply because 802.11ac is backwards compatible and provides near gigabit wifi speeds. Whereas 802.11n caps out at around 450mbps on wifi. I was upset with Google about that, I'm paying them for gigabit Internet, which in modern society means wifi, not Ethernet. So now I'm waiting for a response to see if Google even offers an 802.11ac network box or if I have to go and buy my own router. It's not a huge deal, I'm just more peeved that they weren't upfront about what kind of wireless access they are offering. Needless to say, I will be forewarning anyone wanting to switch that if they want super fast wifi they'll need to buy their own router.
    01-01-2016 04:09 AM
    Good heads up, although it makes sense that if Google Fiber delivers 1Gbit wired connectivity; that an equivalent 1Gbit capable wireless router/access point would be required to get "end to end" 1Gbit capability. I see your point though that on the Support pages there doesn't appear to be an explicit statement about needing a 1Gbit, or 802.11ac capable router/access point. Maybe the info is there, but not apparent.
    01-01-2016 11:44 AM
    Received that response from Google, if you want 802.11ac you'll have to buy your own router. Cue more of my research. Good news, since I'm a T-Mobile I can get a slightly modified and rebranded Asus AC68U for $25 at worst. I will stop by T-Mobile when I can to go get one.
    01-01-2016 02:04 PM
    Well after a few hours of playing with the T-Mobile router and Google Network Box, my speeds really haven't changed much. Maybe 50-100mbps faster. It is however more consistent. It's a little depressing, I'll be happy when Google offers a replacement 802.11ac network box.
    01-01-2016 10:23 PM