How long before 'free speech' is totally banned in America?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The attack on free speech has been under way here in the U.S. for quite some time now, but as of late, it's gotten even more ridiculous. It has gotten so bad to where a disagreeing reply is considered harassment or bullying and we've noticed this trend here at iMore on occasion. There is no understanding without some form of communication, but if we can't say anything for fear of offending then how will we ever be able to understand anyone? Anyway, how long before free speech is banned in America, if ever, in your opinion?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I do hope I don't see it in my lifetime...

I agree, but the way things are going, it may not work out that way. It's so frustrating to see how insignificant people view the Constitution these days. They seemingly do not have a clue to how important it is in regard to our liberty. The thing about censoring free speech is the fact that the reasons are often 'vague'. For example, 'offensive content'. Who will determine what is or isn't offensive and when it is offensive and when it is not? If I compliment a pretty woman, will she be offended because I am not the one she wants a compliment from? Of course , there are people who are thinking, "but D, no one's going to take it to that extreme". Bullcrap! Someone will.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
To my knowledge, nothing has been totally banned from everywhere with punishment if you don't heed the ban. It's a here and there thing. And some things, such as hurtful words, we all agree should not be done. In my mind the question becomes where do we draw the line? It gets to, "Enough is enough!". I believe we're there. And from what I'm seeing, folks aren't going to put with it any more. We have too many real problems in our country to put up with whiners. I see avatars here that offend me. But I'm not going to whine about it. If it offends me, then I need to get a grip. It's my problem. They have a right to use whatever they want. We should not have to constantly walk on eggshells because someone might be offended. That said, we should all use good judgement and be nice.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The attack on free speech has been under way here in the U.S. for quite some time now, but as of late, it's gotten even more ridiculous. It has gotten so bad to where a disagreeing reply is considered harassment or bullying and we've noticed this trend here at iMore on occasion. There is no understanding without some form of communication, but if we can't say anything for fear of offending then how will we ever be able to understand anyone? Anyway, how long before free speech is banned in America, if ever, in your opinion?

I usually stay clear of online political discussions but, because the topic you raise is an interesting one, I'm going to make an exception here. I will also preface my comments by saying the examples I am about to give are only examples and don't reflect my opinion on any issue.

The problem isn't a mass take away of free speech. It is more dangerous than that. It is the silencing of certain sides of a discussion because the view of that side is "not correct." Take the most recent American hot button issue, the Confederate battle flag. I found it interesting that people who took the position the flag represented their heritage and was a symbol of pride in their culture were flat dismissed as KKK racists. I'm not saying the flag should have stayed or been removed from where it was flying in South Carolina either. What I am saying is there was never a rational discussion on the issue because one side of the discussion was dismissed out of hand. When that happens we are all worse off.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Society is becoming soft. The government loves this because it means they have to do less to quiet us. As society grows weaker and softer, and turns to the government to ENFORCE the blocking of opinions groups of people don't like, the more regulations we'll face on simply speaking our minds or standing up for what we personally believe it.

I hope I'm dead before I see a day where I have to hold my tongue, by law, because someone is offended by it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's been beyond ridiculous and getting worse. This is one of the few political things I don't hold back on. Maybe it's because I'm weird it seems, I really don't get offended, I don't see the point. The best censorship is yourself. If you don't like something, move past it, whatever it may be, you're not forced to subjugate yourself to it. If it does offend you, shut up, move on, there are better things to spend your time on. I really hope I don't see full blown censorship in my lifetime, I will not stand for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's been beyond ridiculous and getting worse. This is one of the few political things I don't hold back on. Maybe it's because I'm weird it seems, I really don't get offended, I don't see the point. The best censorship is yourself. If you don't like something, move past it, whatever it may be, you're not forced to subjugate yourself to it. If it does offend you, shut up, move on, there are better things to spend your time on. I really hope I don't see full blown censorship in my lifetime, I will not stand for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowadays, too many people can't seem to move past it. It's as if any opposition or disagreement is a matter of disrespect. They'll quickly point out that it is their 'right' to voice their opinions, but totally disregard 'your right' to voice yours particularly if it's opposing theirs. Instead of trying to understand why there is an opposing view, they rush to report opposing views as hateful and/or bullying. #smh.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ugh don't even get me started on this LOL. Too much 'tolerance' crap going on but only when it benefits the side who wants to be tolerated. It's a slow process of freedoms being taken away and I'm afraid there's too many people who are oblivious and simply don't want to talk about it and then before we know it the America we know and used to know will no longer exist.

The Lannisters send their regards.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I figured it was banned already.

You know, not that long ago when Jerry Seinfeld was asked why he didn't like to perform at colleges and he said it's because they're too politically correct. Millennials just want to accuse someone of being something. They want to use words like "racist, sexist" and things of that nature. That's coming from a not even close to edgy comedian who never says anything controversial. This is where freedom of speech is being impeded on and it bothers me. What bothers me most is when someone is outspoken they end up apologizing for vocalizing an opinion. Why the hell should someone apologize for stating an opinion? This is why I love seeing Donald Trump not back down from anything he is saying. Instead he's reinforcing his opinion and doubling down. Why should he apologize? I don't agree with some of the things he's been spouting off on lately, but I'd respect him less if he started backtracking.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I figured it was banned already.

You know, not that long ago when Jerry Seinfeld was asked why he didn't like to perform at colleges and he said it's because they're too politically correct. Millennials just want to accuse someone of being something. They want to use words like "racist, sexist" and things of that nature. That's coming from a not even close to edgy comedian who never says anything controversial. This is where freedom of speech is being impeded on and it bothers me. What bothers me most is when someone is outspoken they end up apologizing for vocalizing an opinion. Why the hell should someone apologize for stating an opinion? This is why I love seeing Donald Trump not back down from anything he is saying. Instead he's reinforcing his opinion and doubling down. Why should he apologize? I don't agree with some of the things he's been spouting off on lately, but I'd respect him less if he started backtracking.

Trump is speaking his mind. He knows that saying what people want to hear won't get problems solved.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
What I hate the most about this free speech thing is when people from a certain race decide that it's ok for them to talk about them themselves using certain words, but feel offended when others start using them.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am Turkish and thus a minority in the Netherlands. By displaying self-deprecation in a fun way, I take away people's opportunity to make weird comments about my culture or race. Ultimately, I end up making fun of them by doing so.

It's been a proven fact people can't use your culture against you.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
“Congress shall make no law...abridging freedom of speech.”

Note the word Congress. And there you have it. There are consequences of what comes out of your mouth, especially in public. I am not addressing specifics of iMore forums... but in general.

Many people think that freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want, whenever you want. That is not the case. If it was, then there would be no such thing as slander.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What I hate the most about this free speech thing is when people from a certain race decide that it's ok for them to talk about them themselves using certain words, but feel offended when others start using them.

Its their right to be a hypocrite..... free speech isnt an issue here.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are consequences of what comes out of your mouth, especially in public.
Yes, however, many of the 'consequences' aren't justified or even equal. What are the consequences for one person speaking ill of Christ publicly as opposed to someone speaking the exact same ill words of Islam's Mohammed? If there are consequences, shouldn't they be the same? My point is that we all should be tolerant beyond our personal tastes or we will risk being punished for offending anyone for anything.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Note the word Congress. And there you have it. There are consequences of what comes out of your mouth, especially in public. I am not addressing specifics of iMore forums... but in general.
Tell that to the bakery owners in Washington state that have been ordered by a state commission to not speak of their faith...

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, however, many of the 'consequences' aren't justified or even equal. What are the consequences for one person speaking ill of Christ publicly as opposed to someone speaking the exact same ill words of Islam's Mohammed? If there are consequences, shouldn't they be the same? My point is that we all should be tolerant beyond our personal tastes or we will risk being punished for offending anyone for anything.

I never said that the consequences are justified or equal.

Is this about the fairness of public discourse or free speech being restricted by a government entity?