Best Racing Simulator For Xbox One?

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am buying a game for my step-dad for Father's Day this month and I need some help deciding what game would suit him best. Gran Turmiso, in its heyday, was his pride and joy. He spent so much time playing to unlock all the cars and upgrades. However, it has since gone downhill so he stopped playing but I'd like to get him something that he might enjoy as much, but this time for the Xbox One. He loves racing games but only simulation-style, not arcade games like Need For Speed. The three options I see at first glance are Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, and Project Cars. So far I'm leaning toward Forza 5 because it is very highly rated as is being hailed as "the new Gran Turismo." I also read on here that Sean said Forza Horizon 2 has a bit of an arcade feel and Project Cars didn't get great reviews (from the few I saw anyway). I'm certainly open to opinions, though.

Thanks guys. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's my take on it since I've owned all of them...

Forza 5 - Absolutely gorgeous game that severely lacks in online presence...Turn 10 kind of dropped the ball (that or they were rushed too much by MS to release the game when the console was released) when it comes to online multiplayer and the servers really aren't that great (especially in the variety department). They used to have a stock car hopper (which forced everyone to choose from stock cars in a certain class) and that was so much fun, but they got rid of it for some unknown reason (it was their most popular online hopper too, so it was very strange).

Forza Horizon 2 - Definitely more of an arcade feel, but probably the most "FUN" of all the racing games on Xbox One. I've put more time into this game than I did on Forza 5, and mainly because it was more entertaining and enjoyable. There are some downsides...car selection is one (it's much smaller than Forza 5), no race tracks and the story mode can be a bit silly, but the game is very fun for the most part, but not really a sim.

Horizon is a lot closer to a sim than NFS...but definitely not like normal Forza.

Project Cars - This is the only game of the 3 that I didn't like AT ALL. For starters, the game is very VERY buggy...sound issues plague the gameplay and there have been no truly legitimate patches to fix anything of note so far. The game is almost MADE for a full on simulator setup...so if he doesn't have a racing wheel with a fixed racing seat, clutch and shifter set...it's kind of odd. I found playing this game with the standard Xbox One controller completely pointless as it is much to sensitive, and even playing on my brothers quite elaborate racing wheel/seat setup, it still wasn't exactly fun...more like frustrating and tedious.

...overall, if he wants the best sim, Forza 5 is the way to go (but keep in mind that Forza 6 comes out this fall and will be shown at E3 next week)...Horizon 2 is very fun but will not satisfy a craving for a SIM, and to me, Project Cars was rubbish.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take on it since I've owned all of them...

Forza 5 - Absolutely gorgeous game that severely lacks in online presence...Turn 10 kind of dropped the ball (that or they were rushed too much by MS to release the game when the console was released) when it comes to online multiplayer and the servers really aren't that great (especially in the variety department). They used to have a stock car hopper (which forced everyone to choose from stock cars in a certain class) and that was so much fun, but they got rid of it for some unknown reason (it was their most popular online hopper too, so it was very strange).

Forza Horizon 2 - Definitely more of an arcade feel, but probably the most "FUN" of all the racing games on Xbox One. I've put more time into this game than I did on Forza 5, and mainly because it was more entertaining and enjoyable. There are some downsides...car selection is one (it's much smaller than Forza 5), no race tracks and the story mode can be a bit silly, but the game is very fun for the most part, but not really a sim.

Horizon is a lot closer to a sim than NFS...but definitely not like normal Forza.

Project Cars - This is the only game of the 3 that I didn't like AT ALL. For starters, the game is very VERY buggy...sound issues plague the gameplay and there have been no truly legitimate patches to fix anything of note so far. The game is almost MADE for a full on simulator setup...so if he doesn't have a racing wheel with a fixed racing seat, clutch and shifter set...it's kind of odd. I found playing this game with the standard Xbox One controller completely pointless as it is much to sensitive, and even playing on my brothers quite elaborate racing wheel/seat setup, it still wasn't exactly fun...more like frustrating and tedious.

...overall, if he wants the best sim, Forza 5 is the way to go (but keep in mind that Forza 6 comes out this fall and will be shown at E3 next week)...Horizon 2 is very fun but will not satisfy a craving for a SIM, and to me, Project Cars was rubbish.

Thank you, Sean, I really appreciate the time and input. I was heavily leaning toward Forza 5 and you've cemented my decision. He doesn't care about online play so that's not really a factor anyway. But that also brings up another question, do you know anything about wheels? I'd like to get him one of those too like he had for his PS2 and PS3 but I don't know anything about them anymore. I read the reviews but they all seem to be about the same and I haven't read anything too impressive about any of them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, Sean, I really appreciate the time and input. I was heavily leaning toward Forza 5 and you've cemented my decision. He doesn't care about online play so that's not really a factor anyway. But that also brings up another question, do you know anything about wheels? I'd like to get him one of those too like he had for his PS2 and PS3 but I don't know anything about them anymore. I read the reviews but they all seem to be about the same and I haven't read anything too impressive about any of them.

No problem...if there's something I really know a lot about, it's cars...so racing games are usually the ones I jump on first, lol.

As far as wheels go...I only have experience with my brothers setup (which is pretty elaborate for a normal user). He has a Fanatec GT3 wheel with shifter and full pedal set, an adjustable Recaro seat and frame for the seat and pedal set. To me, even with the force feedback in the wheel and pedals, I don't really think it feels "realistic", at least in comparison with what it costs to have even his setup (there are much more elaborate ones with hydraulic frames and stuff that move, and even those don't really feel "real" to me...and I've driven many cars on a track in real life).

At the end of the day, to me, I can't see justification in the cost...but my brother, he would argue that he'd never own a racing game without wheel support. I guess it just comes down to how much you enjoy the immersion...I found it a bit gimmicky since it didn't make me feel like I was really driving a car, it just felt like I was playing one of those old arcade games you sat in to play. To me, if I can't enjoy it with a controller, I'm not really interested.

My brothers setup cost him about $1,500 all together with wheel and stuff...he's also had to replace the rubber banding system in the force feedback unit of the wheel because I guess they are prone to breaking (I'm sure they've upgraded this since he bought his in 2013 though).

That and the wheel setups are EXTREMELY hard to master. I'm not sure how familiar you are with racing and stuff, but Randy Pobst (test driver for several magazines and instructor at Laguna Seca) is a close family friend, and he tried my brothers setup and said "This is too damn difficult!"...that guy has won over a hundred road races in his life and he gave up after about 10min on a wheel setup, lol!

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
No problem...if there's something I really know a lot about, it's cars...so racing games are usually the ones I jump on first, lol.

As far as wheels go...I only have experience with my brothers setup (which is pretty elaborate for a normal user). He has a Fanatec GT3 wheel with shifter and full pedal set, an adjustable Recaro seat and frame for the seat and pedal set. To me, even with the force feedback in the wheel and pedals, I don't really think it feels "realistic", at least in comparison with what it costs to have even his setup (there are much more elaborate ones with hydraulic frames and stuff that move, and even those don't really feel "real" to me...and I've driven many cars on a track in real life).

At the end of the day, to me, I can't see justification in the cost...but my brother, he would argue that he'd never own a racing game without wheel support. I guess it just comes down to how much you enjoy the immersion...I found it a bit gimmicky since it didn't make me feel like I was really driving a car, it just felt like I was playing one of those old arcade games you sat in to play. To me, if I can't enjoy it with a controller, I'm not really interested.

My brothers setup cost him about $1,500 all together with wheel and stuff...he's also had to replace the rubber banding system in the force feedback unit of the wheel because I guess they are prone to breaking (I'm sure they've upgraded this since he bought his in 2013 though).

That and the wheel setups are EXTREMELY hard to master. I'm not sure how familiar you are with racing and stuff, but Randy Pobst (test driver for several magazines and instructor at Laguna Seca) is a close family friend, and he tried my brothers setup and said "This is too damn difficult!"...that guy has won over a hundred road races in his life and he gave up after about 10min on a wheel setup, lol!

Wow, I didn't even know they made anything quite that elaborate. I have heard of Randy Pobst via YouTube test driving videos and if he thought it was too difficult, it's probably too difficult. :laughing:

He wants a fairly simple wheel and pedal setup that they made back in the day, I just haven't found any with stellar reviews. I personally also do far better with a controller but he's the opposite, like your brother.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If he really wants a setup like that, I'd go with Fanatec...seem to be the most feature rich and legitimate wheels on the market. You can get a nice Porsche replica wheel right now for like $200, which isn't too bad. I don't think the pedal sets cost a whole lot more on their own, the money comes into the mounts you end up wanting because placing the wheel on a table and doing it is kind of awkward.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't sure if it was compatible, I just saw the price...looks like the cheapest wheel for XB1 is around $300. Still not too bad.

Yeah, I'll find something. Thanks very much for your help, Sean.

P.S. I ended up going with Horizon 2 instead of 5 because it appears to have a few more racing modes and he loves rally racing as well. Also because it's newer.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'll find something. Thanks very much for your help, Sean.

P.S. I ended up going with Horizon 2 instead of 5 because it appears to have a few more racing modes and he loves rally racing as well. Also because it's newer.

He will enjoy Horizon 2...I'm a stickler for racing games and hate pure arcade stuff, and Horizon 2 really impressed me (graphics are INSANELY good). Also, they just released the Porsche pack for it, something Forza 5 does not get. Get him Forza 6 this fall when it comes out...I think Turn 10 is going to really surprise some people with it.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
He will enjoy Horizon 2...I'm a stickler for racing games and hate pure arcade stuff, and Horizon 2 really impressed me (graphics are INSANELY good). Also, they just released the Porsche pack for it, something Forza 5 does not get. Get him Forza 6 this fall when it comes out...I think Turn 10 is going to really surprise some people with it.

Sounds good. And I'll definitely get him Forza 6 as well, it looks like it'll be pretty incredible. Also, as far as the wheel, I'm gonna have him try it on the One controller first and see how he likes it and if he still insists on a wheel then I'll see what I can find, because right now the options don't look overly promising.

And thanks again for all your help, Sean, I appreciate it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good. And I'll definitely get him Forza 6 as well, it looks like it'll be pretty incredible. Also, as far as the wheel, I'm gonna have him try it on the One controller first and see how he likes it and if he still insists on a wheel then I'll see what I can find, because right now the options don't look overly promising.

And thanks again for all your help, Sean, I appreciate it.

Not a problem, let me know if you ever need anymore help or suggestions with this stuff... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2