Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
No, my reply had nothing to do with statements prior to the one I mentioned. Having said that, try to take at least a little bit of responsibility for some of the replies you've gotten. You have people here with a lot more life experience than you, and when some of them try to explain certain things to you or point out flaws in your argument/statements, you appear to try to justify your statement to save face instead of gaining knowledge from the wisdom of others. You think that Apple should make a low cost phone and take advantage of a certain segment. We all know that Apple could, but some of us explained why they don't have to and why they shouldn't. You've mentioned "third world countries" on numerous occasions and equated it with being poor, yet, everyone who lives in what you refer to as third world countries aren't poor at all. It can be argued that you view the iPhone and/or the Apple brand as a status symbol and maybe you think it's a good idea for everyone to enjoy that status symbol and not feel left out. If so, that's admirable, but impractical. First of all, not everyone wants an iPhone. I'd even argue that many who do not yet have a smartphone would simply be glad to have one, regardless of the brand. Anyway, my apologies for rambling. I'm literally dosing off. That's how tired I am...:)....Anyway, as always, I enjoy the replies. Take care.

Well said d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure sure you would see many more people holding an iPhone than driving a Lexus. I really don't see how the iPhone is any more "luxurious" than; for example, the m8 or the note 4 (note 4 is more expensive in my country). They all just seem like high end premium flagships to me. Apple's brand image to me is about high quality products. Nothing luxurious about them IMO.

It's weird...the only people who keep saying that are you and the 20 year old world traveling business tycoon. I certainly never said anything remotely close to that, nor do I think they are more luxurious than those phones...those phones are also luxury items, but the companies that make the aren't because they cover the broad spectrum of devices from cheap to high end...they have luxury devices, but are not luxury brands. Chevrolet makes some really nice cars that rival luxury brands, but they are not a luxury brand...Cadillac is Chevy's luxury brand, and they do not make cheap, economy cars. Why? It would degrade the brand.

As far as more iPhones than Lexus', that's not really a surprise...the iPhone is far more obtainable due to the relative cost of smart phones vs. automobiles, and can be used by a broader spectrum of consumer (even if a 10-15 year old wanted to drive a Lexus and had the means to get one, they couldn't in most parts of the world because of legalities amongst a dozen other limitations vehicles have).

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Dude, you do realize you just validated Sean's statement about the iPhone being more expensive than average phones. Beside, be careful with your use of "not expensive at all" because there are a good deal of people here in the U.S., especially those who are out of work and struggling, who would disagree with you in that regard.

It isn't luxury price that is my point. A point everyone keeps skipping over. Most of this thread has been arguing semantics and how Apple is luxury as it was just said and proved that iPhones aren't luxury. Because they are not real luxury, they are a consumer brand, so doing a low cost iPhone would not hurt a tech brand.

If anything the media and mass consumers will hail this as Apple revolutionizing low end.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's weird...the only people who keep saying that are you and the 20 year old world traveling business tycoon. I certainly never said anything remotely close to that, nor do I think they are more luxurious than those phones...those phones are also luxury items, but the companies that make the aren't because they cover the broad spectrum of devices from cheap to high end...they have luxury devices, but are not luxury brands. Chevrolet makes some really nice cars that rival luxury brands, but they are not a luxury brand...Cadillac is Chevy's luxury brand, and they do not make cheap, economy cars. Why? It would degrade the brand.

As far as more iPhones than Lexus', that's not really a surprise...the iPhone is far more obtainable due to the relative cost of smart phones vs. automobiles, and can be used by a broader spectrum of consumer (even if a 10-15 year old wanted to drive a Lexus and had the means to get one, they couldn't in most parts of the world because of legalities amongst a dozen other limitations vehicles have).

And anyone can save for a few months and set back $650. Not so much for a luxury car.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
An iPhone and any other phone may have a power button and a touch screen, but they are in two different classes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By your own personal definition it may be, but an iPhone is just another high end smartphone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It isn't luxury price that is my point. A point everyone keeps skipping over. Most of this thread has been arguing semantics and how Apple is luxury as it was just said and proved that iPhones aren't luxury. Because they are not real luxury, they are a consumer brand, so doing a low cost iPhone would not hurt a tech brand.

If anything the media and mass consumers will hail this as Apple revolutionizing low end.

Okay. You made your point.

Going to close this for a cool down. We keep going in circles and we're nearing the black hole.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The Apple brand is considered high end. Period. That doesn't mean it's the best there is. It simply means that it is viewed as high end. Some people will equate high end with luxury. The price of a Hyundai Sonata limited 2.0T is comparable to that of a BMW 328i, yet, the BMW is considered high end / luxury and although the the Note 4, as you've mentioned, cost more than an iPhone, the iPhone is still considered the high end / luxury item in comparison of the two. "Real" has nothing to do with it. Would your view change if Apple bought HTC and then sold the HTC One as its low end device to those "third world countries"?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You just don't get it at all kid. Price is relevant...I pointed out earlier that caviar has various pricing points relevant to the product. Caviar is clearly and universally considered a luxury food product, but by your logic, because the price is not very high for even the really high end stuff, it isn't "real luxury".

Apple IS a luxury brand. The iPhone IS a luxury product. Lots of luxury brands around the world are also consumer brands, as a consumer brand is simply a well known brand who sells to consumers instead of businesses. Here is a nice wikipedia entry that gives a good general idea of luxury products and companies...I would highly suggest you read it: Luxury goods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
You just don't get it at all kid. Price is relevant...I pointed out earlier that caviar has various pricing points relevant to the product. Caviar is clearly and universally considered a luxury food product, but by your logic, because the price is not very high for even the really high end stuff, it isn't "real luxury".

Apple IS a luxury brand. The iPhone IS a luxury product. Lots of luxury brands around the world are also consumer brands, as a consumer brand is simply a well known brand who sells to consumers instead of businesses. Here is a nice wikipedia entry that gives a good general idea of luxury products and companies...I would highly suggest you read it: Luxury goods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt he'll read this being he said he deleted the iMore app.

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The trouble with low cost phones designed by western countries is that they will never win in a race to the bottom against their chinese or korean counterparts.

opehyia

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe that iPhone will lower its price some time sooner. However, their smartphones are truly high-end and deserves a special place in the market. The company is lucky to have their products unique and to be able to maintain the vibrant name in the industry of technology. As long as the competition finds it tough to compete with Apple, the company will likely maintain it lofty prices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73