Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Nobody here said a Galaxy S5 or a Note 4 or an LG G3 or HTC One weren't luxury goods. They are luxury goods in the same way iPhones are--a non-essential WANT not a need.
Ah, you are talking about wants and needs, I am talking about Apple spreading their brand into third world countries with a lower cost iPhone that would be nothing but good for someone who will be looking for new areas to branch into in the future.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not crazy, you keep trying to convince yourself a $600 smartphone is luxury when every other high end device is the same price. It is your perception of what luxury is.

The other devices in that price range are also luxury tier devices..."high end" as you called them, pretty much admitting that you know exactly what I'm talking about.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You just said luxury is perception.

My perception is that my iPhone is luxury. It's pretty much what Sean has been saying but you couldn't seem to figure that out.

I did figure it out but his perception isn't fact. Apple isn't a luxury brand. Their brand being no luxury won't be affected by making a low cost iPhone. That is my point.

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I just think there are other companies doing that. Its not to say apple couldn't or shouldn't, but there are other people in the space doing it well, so maybe they don't feel like they can compete in the space with as high quality product.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The other devices in that price range are also luxury tier devices..."high end" as you called them, pretty much admitting that you know exactly what I'm talking about.
High end devices arent luxury devices either, luxury for yeah, people who can't afford it, but low cost devices aren't high end and can be priced as low as the manufacturer wants.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I did figure it out but his perception isn't fact. Apple isn't a luxury brand. Their brand being no luxury won't be affected by making a low cost iPhone. That is my point.

Well we can sit here all day and talk about what's good and bad for Apple. I happen to disagree with you. But we'll never know exactly of it's good or bad for a nearly trillion dollar company.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ah, you are talking about wants and needs, I am talking about Apple spreading their brand into third world countries with a lower cost iPhone that would be nothing but good for someone who will be looking for new areas to branch into in the future.

We've been talking wants vs. needs for HOURS man! LOL! You can't be this dense.

Here's a question for you...WHY does Apple need to make this phone to spread their brand into these countries?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
High end devices arent luxury devices either, luxury for yeah, people who can't afford it, but low cost devices aren't high end and can be priced as low as the manufacturer wants.

Except you're being told by people who can easily afford them that they are luxury items, and you were given evidence which supports such (something you still haven't done at all). You simply don't understand or don't WANT to understand the definition of luxury, and because our arguments don't fit your agenda here, you simply use the scapegoat of calling it all our "perception".

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Well we can sit here all day and talk about what's good and bad for Apple. I happen to disagree with you. But we'll never know exactly of it's good or bad for a nearly trillion dollar company.
No we won't. This is a forum after all.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
We've been talking wants vs. needs for HOURS man! LOL! You can't be this dense.

Here's a question for you...WHY does Apple need to make this phone to spread their brand into these countries?

To gain more market share, gain more customers, and in turn make more money when those customers choose to invest in other Apple products as Apple has a well built ecosystem. People traditionally buy one Apple device and want other Apple devices and this is nothing but good for Apple. Little risk on their part, especially since they get so much revenue.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Except you're being told by people who can easily afford them that they are luxury items, and you were given evidence which supports such (something you still haven't done at all). You simply don't understand or don't WANT to understand the definition of luxury, and because our arguments don't fit your agenda here, you simply use the scapegoat of calling it all our "perception".

Agenda? This is a harmless argument on an internet forum, you are taking it too seriously. And yes, everything so far is peoples perceptions and opinions, no facts.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Agenda? This is a harmless argument on an internet forum, you are taking it too seriously. And yes, everything so far is peoples perceptions and opinions, no facts.

My definition was the webster's dictionary definition of luxury. Not a perception. It was absolute fact.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To gain more market share, gain more customers, and in turn make more money when those customers choose to invest in other Apple products as Apple has a well built ecosystem. People traditionally buy one Apple device and want other Apple devices and this is nothing but good for Apple. Little risk on their part, especially since they get so much revenue.

So to make more money...so by your logic, a company like Porsche should unquestionably produce a Civic level entry market car to make more money and hope that it grows their company by future investments in other products...and that this would not degrade the brand?

I also want to point out that your idea of risk being so one sided with monetary investment vs. revenue shows you don't know much beyond a simple facade of business. I'm going to guess you don't run one...which is probably a good thing.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So to make more money...so by your logic, a company like Porsche should unquestionably produce a Civic level entry market car to make more money and hope that it grows their company by future investments in other products...and that this would not degrade the brand?

I also want to point out that your idea of risk being so one sided with monetary investment vs. revenue shows you don't know much beyond a simple facade of business. I'm going to guess you don't run one...which is probably a good thing.

Hope? Low cost market is ripe for someone to take advantage of it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Can you cite exactly where you got this definition from? No need to be rude.

Webster's Dictionary...the place I pulled the synonyms as well. You'll have to forgive my being rude...that's what happens when I repeat the same thing over and over again because you don't know how to read or fail to pay attention to what you are reading.

If a dictionary isn't good enough for you though, here's a more modern source...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxury_goods

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh