Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Obviously sacrifices Apple isn't willing to make.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
We don't know that, they could very well make a low end device next year. I wanted to see why would they not do it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We don't know that, they could very well make a low end device next year. I wanted to see why would they not do it.

No, you wanted to argue with anyone that presented evidence or theories on why they don't...and every year someone says "Maybe they'll make one next year"...over 7 years later, still holding strong.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You take these responses personally, which is hilarious to me.

Explain to me how these products are NOT luxury products...

I guess taking a luxury condo tower and turning the bottom 5 floors into low income housing would be a totally understandable move to you based on your logic. LOL!

I'm still kind of shocked that you, for some reason, feel that every company strives to control every section of every market related to their chosen product. Kind of seems weird given the success of other luxury product companies out there who do the EXACT same thing as Apple, and experience similar success.

They arene luxury products, luxury products are high priced items made of the most high quality materials. You may think an iPhone is that but it isn't, aluminum is the cheapest toughest metal, plastic on the outer casing isn't premium materials, and the bending problem at the beginning isn't qualities of luxury device. Last but not least, an iPhone is available in all first world markets no problem. Apple is the biggest smartphone manufacturer in the U.S. popularity is the exact opposite of real luxury products.

And FYI, I don't take any of this personally if anything people around here are taking the suggestion that Apple could make a low cost iPhone personally.

Kind of similar to how people took offense when the iPhone went prepaid. It didn't devalue Apple then like people said it was.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No, you wanted to argue with anyone that presented evidence or theories on why they don't...and every year someone says "Maybe they'll make one next year"...over 7 years later, still holding strong.

No one has presented evidence at all, all that has been presented is personal perceptions and beliefs. And there hasn't been any arguing at all, just discussion, it seems YOU want to argue.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No one has presented evidence at all, all that has been presented is personal perceptions and beliefs. And there hasn't been any arguing at all, just discussion, it seems YOU want to argue.

Look at the way Apple presents itself. When you walk into an Apple Store and the way displays are set up and presented. All the white. It all looks clean. Whether aluminum is cheap or not, look at how well it blends in with presentation. Even the website. You can call what I'm saying here perception. But it is in fact a fact which is evidence enough.

How low would you like to see Apple put an iPhone at? Two to three hundred (without subsidy)? Do you not see how watered down the product would have to be? If aluminum isn't as luxurious as you're pointing out, then why haven't other phone manufacturers followed suit for the most part? Look at how nice the HTC One stands out from other Android phones. Apple is going to put an iPhone with reduced materials alongside their other ones? It would stick out like a sore thumb. It just doesn't fit in.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

What you are presenting is your opinion also.
How can we present anything but our opinions. No one here is a Apple executive to have evidence to the contrary of the topic of this thread.
What evidence could ever be produced?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What you are presenting is your opinion also.
How can we present anything but our opinions. No one here is a Apple executive to have evidence to the contrary of the topic of this thread.
What evidence could ever be produced?

That little tidbit in which Apple hasn't felt a need to produce a low-end iPhone in 7 years is a good way to start. Apparently the OP doesn't feel that that is evidence enough lol

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Look at the way Apple presents itself. When you walk into an Apple Store and the way displays are set up and presented. All the white. It all looks clean. Whether aluminum is cheap or not, look at how well it blends in with presentation. Even the website. You can call what I'm saying here perception. But it is in fact a fact which is evidence enough.

How low would you like to see Apple put an iPhone at? Two to three hundred (without subsidy)? Do you not see how watered down the product would have to be? If aluminum isn't as luxurious as you're pointing out, then why haven't other phone manufacturers followed suit for the most part? Look at how nice the HTC One stands out from other Android phones. Apple is going to put an iPhone with reduced materials alongside their other ones? It would stick out like a sore thumb. It just doesn't fit in.

Aluminum hasn't been used a lot because it isn't cost effective as plastic, nor as durable, creates design issues, and isn't good for cellphone signals. Antenna gate? Plastic lines on.phones for signals such as on the iPhone 6/6+, and the HTC One aren't that good looking.

And again it is perception and opinion point blank, not fact.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
At least you're seeing a point in why the low cost phone hasn't been made.
It does not have to be aluminum, that is the point. It won't be exactly the same as the higher end iPhones but that worn change much, the iPhone wasn't always straight aluminum and glass.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Exactly. That is the Apple brand. That's their presentation. Everyone else's presentation is to make jokes about Apple.
Microsoft and or HP has that notebook ad comparing it to a bunch of papers and a paper notebook. WTF. They gotta come better than that.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. That is the Apple brand. That's their presentation. Everyone else's presentation is to make jokes about Apple.
Microsoft and or HP has that notebook ad comparing it to a bunch of papers and a paper notebook. WTF. They gotta come better than that.

To be fair the Surface Pro 3 is supposed to be notebook, tablet and laptop. That is what they are emphasizing.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They arene luxury products, luxury products are high priced items made of the most high quality materials. You may think an iPhone is that but it isn't, aluminum is the cheapest toughest metal, plastic on the outer casing isn't premium materials, and the bending problem at the beginning isn't qualities of luxury device. Last but not least, an iPhone is available in all first world markets no problem. Apple is the biggest smartphone manufacturer in the U.S. popularity is the exact opposite of real luxury products.

And FYI, I don't take any of this personally if anything people around here are taking the suggestion that Apple could make a low cost iPhone personally.

Kind of similar to how people took offense when the iPhone went prepaid. It didn't devalue Apple then like people said it was.

Interesting...so to you, a luxury item is only those products made from luxuriously high quality/grade materials? I'm going to give you 3 very modern examples that completely throw your idea out the window...

1.) 2011 Aston Martin Cygnet - Official Photos and Info - Car and Driver
2.) Prada Sweater - Men Prada Sweaters online on YOOX United States
3.) Arcam FMJ AVR450 review - AV Amplifiers & Receivers

...one is a rebadged Toyota Scion with some luxury cosmetic changes, one is a polo shirt that is made from the same materials as the polo shirt you can buy at any athletic store, and the last is a very nice receiver (which I personally own) that is made in Britain but is composed of about 50% re-designated Sony and Pioneer internals.

So tell me again how true luxury items are only made of top end luxury materials? Forgive me for chuckling while you try and explain yourself.

I think you have a tough time distinguishing between luxury products and "PREMIUM" products. Like I explained in my first post, my discussion talks about needs vs. wants...which is commonly referred to as "life's luxuries". Apple doesn't make products you need, Apple makes products you WANT...luxury tier.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes really, how does earlier iPhone prices compare to 2014 prices for low cost devices?
the 3G and I believe the 3GS started at $599. Fifty bucks lower than the starting price of the iPhone 6.

Do you realize that you're arguing against yourself?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Interesting...so to you, a luxury item is only those products made from luxuriously high quality/grade materials? I'm going to give you 3 very modern examples that completely throw your idea out the window...

1.) 2011 Aston Martin Cygnet - Official Photos and Info - Car and Driver
2.) Prada Sweater - Men Prada Sweaters online on YOOX United States
3.) Arcam FMJ AVR450 review - AV Amplifiers & Receivers

...one is a rebadged Toyota Scion with some luxury cosmetic changes, one is a polo shirt that is made from the same materials as the polo shirt you can buy at any athletic store, and the last is a very nice receiver (which I personally own) that is made in Britain but is composed of about 50% re-designated Sony and Pioneer internals.

So tell me again how true luxury items are only made of top end luxury materials? Forgive me for chuckling while you try and explain yourself.

I think you have a tough time distinguishing between luxury products and "PREMIUM" products. Like I explained in my first post, my discussion talks about needs vs. wants...which is commonly referred to as "life's luxuries". Apple doesn't make products you need, Apple makes products you WANT...luxury tier.

Again you are trying to prove your definition of a luxury item, Apple products agent luxury, maybe premium, but no luxury tier. REAL luxury tier.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
the 3G and I believe the 3GS started at $599. Fifty bucks lower than the starting price of the iPhone 6.

Do you realize that you're arguing against yourself?

I said they weren't made out of aluminum and glass, you brought up their prices.