Intel vs. AMD

Intel vs. AMD

• Total voters

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not much of a gamer, but I do play some PC games from time to time (Skyrim, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Rust) and I know out there in the PC gaming market the competition between Intel and AMD is pretty tough. I don't really have a preference, as I don't build custom PCs or anything, but I wanted to know what you guys think! :)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I build PCs for me and for friends. Hands down the Intel chip is my preference. It just seems to play better with other hardware from my experience. I've installed both types of CPU and i've had more issues with AMD CPU systems than with Intel ones.

Although the AMD chips are usually less expensive, the intel chips seem to perform better. However, picking chips at a comparable price point, Intel chips still seem to bench marginally better.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

If you look at the above link, the first 37 places on the list are populated with Intel chips. I'm running a hex-core Intel 4960X overclocked and watercooled to 4.5Ghz and it stomps all over the nearest AMD rival.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you're building your own setup, AMD can sometimes offer values and you can still build a screamer with an AMD brain but AMD just really struggles to compete against Intel in raw performance. The last gaming PC I built before I moved to desktop Macs had an AMD CPU and it was a pretty good system but if I would have just bought a Sandy Bridge i7 at the time, I'd probably still be using it.

AMD mobile CPUs are a mess. They merged with ATI a few years back so you can get an integrated Radeon chip which isn't bad as far as integrated video goes but Intel has really stepped up their game ever since Ivy Bridge with the HD Graphics and Iris/Iris Pro...to the point where Radeon and Nvidia integrated GPUs (are there any from Nvidia right now?) aren't really worth pursuing.

Lenovo and HP have a couple of AMD-powered laptops that are at least mildly interesting and quite price competitive though so there is that.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've only had AMD processors in my computers [Athlon XP 2500+ (5 years of use) and a Phenom X4 9550 (almost 7 years of use)] both work really good and I had no problems. I don't overclock so everything runs at stock clock speeds on my computer. In terms of gaming they both work good, got close to overheating once but it was hot that day to begin with anyways so I could only remove the side cover and hope. I'm actually looking to upgrade soon and deciding weather to go intel this time or stay with AMD. I usually look for processors that will last me for at least 5-6 years. I think the AMD vs intel is more of how the processor is going to be used. In terms of APUs I would have to give it to intel.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You know to be honest, I've had nothing but trouble with AMD. Seriously. Driver issues, performance instabilities, random crashes, etc.

Is that just me?

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.

Netforza

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I used both AMD and Intel both worked great for me.
Lately Intel has an advantage in manufacturing process so AMD is behind in power consumption and heat generation.
But I still voted for AMD because it's the underdog now and kind of needs our support. Without it Intel prices would jump to the sky.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner