I was wondering if any of you has a story of your iPhone saving you in a troublesome time
    04-20-2014 09:05 AM
    Went out with a bunch of guys and was doing some off roading. It was lightly raining when we first started our trek out, but after we were WAY into the woods, the rain picked up and if you've never been in the mountains during a rain storm, flash flooding can come up QUICK. A river we crossed in our vehicles had swelled and we had no idea how to get back to the main roads and the rain was not subsiding. We tried with a couple of the jeeps with us and one got stuck so we pulled him back out and the little rolling river had become this dirty, muddy raging river...and none of us were going anywhere.

My phone had a bar of data connection and I pulled up the maps app...took about 20min. to get it downloaded for where we were, but I was able to find a forestry road maybe 200 yards from us, so we drove over/chopped down little trees for what seemed like eternity and finally made it to the service road and made it back to civilization. Thankfully too because the rain that had only been going for a few hours when we made it out turned into a full day event and they had some of the worst flooding the area had seen in a long time.

Pro tip: If you go off roading on any legitimate trails...make sure you intensely check the weather first. One guy was supposed to...and he didn't (telling us all it was light showers all day). I never go out without checking it myself...on my iPhone no less! LOL!
    nikkisharif and Speedygi like this.
    04-22-2014 10:14 PM
    Since I've been using cellular technology since the late 80s, I can't say I've used it in a life or death situation.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    04-26-2014 09:22 AM
    Went out with a bunch of guys and was doing some off roading. It was lightly raining when we first started our trek out, but after we were WAY into the woods, the rain picked up and if you've never been in the mountains during a rain storm, flash flooding can come up QUICK. A river we crossed in our vehicles had swelled and we had no idea how to get back to the main roads and the rain was not subsiding. We tried with a couple of the jeeps with us and one got stuck so we pulled him back out and the little rolling river had become this dirty, muddy raging river...and none of us were going anywhere.

My phone had a bar of data connection and I pulled up the maps app...took about 20min. to get it downloaded for where we were, but I was able to find a forestry road maybe 200 yards from us, so we drove over/chopped down little trees for what seemed like eternity and finally made it to the service road and made it back to civilization. Thankfully too because the rain that had only been going for a few hours when we made it out turned into a full day event and they had some of the worst flooding the area had seen in a long time.

Pro tip: If you go off roading on any legitimate trails...make sure you intensely check the weather first. One guy was supposed to...and he didn't (telling us all it was light showers all day). I never go out without checking it myself...on my iPhone no less! LOL!
    Wow, Sean!! Awesome story...glad you had your iPhone available!
    04-26-2014 07:59 PM
    Nope. Never.
    04-28-2014 10:40 AM