The last post wins!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Dude, America is the little brother of Europe.. And since I'm in Europe it won't be copying but following your ancestors footsteps;)

It would be much easier if I said it was 16? right now and them Americans new I was talking about 61?f

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The cool thing about the metric system is in its simplicity (fractions and multiples of the metric units are related to each other by the power of 10 (or a moving decimal point, if you will).

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Then why the heck did Americans choose for their system?? I mean come on, I can't even tell how tall I am. 5'7 or 5'8.. But I can say I am 1,72m tall.. That's easy, that's convenient.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I know. I grew up with metrics and now I'm converting everything in my head. You get used to the English system, eventually, but it isn't a "natural" system. For instance, how many inches are in a foot? How many cups are in 2 gallons and how many quarts? And how about converting tons into pounds? Too much work!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
English people are weird. Everything has to be different with them. Like driving on opposite direction and all.

But I have to be honest, I'm racist regarding the UK and its inhabitants

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Then why the heck did Americans choose for their system??
What amazes me is that despite The American Revolution (1765-1783), "in which the colonists in the Thirteen American Colonies overthrew the authority of Great Britain, and founded the United States of America" (~wikipedia), still adopted the English system. It makes no sense :raised-eyebrow:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm prepared! Had this app for 3 years on my phone. It's come in handy many times, including in the kitchen.
Convert Units for Free - #1 Unit Conversion App by John Temple Group Pty Ltd.
https://appsto.re/us/JfAgu.i

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

I pretty much always use google to convert that kind of stuff.. I believe it's faster then opening an app an choosing the right units to convert. I just open safari and type in ## c to f or the other way around for example.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Nah. There's no more sunshine than before. Just shifted s the times it occurs. And now it will be dark when I get up for a month or so. Anyway I'm not anti daylight savings, I just hate the time change and wish we'd pick standard or daylight savings and stick with it all year.

WOW!! Way to be a debbie downer buzz kill 😋 LOL

;) I get your point as far as settling on a standard time without having to change an hour here or there.

I'm sooooooo looking forward to longer days though😊

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately if you've grown up with the English system, it seems "natural" although logically I know it's not.
Agree. I guess I was alluding to logic. instead of the power of 10 (metrics), kids have to memorize (arbitrary) numbers in the English system (12 inch are a foot; one quart is .25 gallon; one foot is 0.000189394 mile; water freezes at 32F and boils at 212F...). In college and high school, where I teach, I occasionally run into students who cannot figure out English distances, measurements and temperatures. My daughter who's 7 knows that water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C because it makes sense.
Blah, blah, blah... Moving on:heart: I hope hydro figured out his clocks by now...:p

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro