Emergency Alert on an iPhone WoW!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Got woken up this morning with a flood Warning on both our iPhones on opposite sides of the bed
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1396191056.083364.jpg

It was loud mixed with the vibrating nightstand it got our attention and the dog ran over my face

Happy Sunday 😑

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The first one I experienced was an Amber Alert at 3am one morning that nearly gave me a heart attack...I promptly turned them off afterwards, lol.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Those things are the worst. My first one was an Amber Alert in the middle of the night that wasn't even in my area. Needless to say I turned it off afterwards LOL. But since I accepted an assignment in Oklahoma (Tornado Country), I decided to turn it back on!!!

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I turned my alerts off. I like the concept, but after unnecessary repeats of the same alarms (and the "flash flood" warning for a house that is miles from any body of water), I came to the conclusion that the implementation of this idea seems to be less than great.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I turned my alerts off. I like the concept, but after unnecessary repeats of the same alarms (and the "flash flood" warning for a house that is miles from any body of water), I came to the conclusion that the implementation of this idea seems to be less than great.
You don't need to be near a body of water to experience a Flash Flood... misconceptions like that get people killed.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had one for a tornado warning. I'm glad it was during the day.

SERIOUSLY. I turn my phone on Airplane overnight so thankfully this stuff doesn't scare the hell out of me overnight, but I got one last year driving home from work trying to beat a tornadic storm home and it scared me half to death. I expect we're going to have a crazy season again so I am not looking forward to the beeps. I turned the Amber Alert one off.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I get them almost never. The ones I do get are for crap like this and not for real emergencies like tornadoes or severe thunderstorms. My weather apps alert me more consistently than the built in iOS ones do. :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
SERIOUSLY. I turn my phone on Airplane overnight so thankfully this stuff doesn't scare the hell out of me overnight, but I got one last year driving home from work trying to beat a tornadic storm home and it scared me half to death. I expect we're going to have a crazy season again so I am not looking forward to the beeps. I turned the Amber Alert one off.

If you don't mind me asking...where are you located? I just took a project in Tulsa & I've been here a week. I have no idea what to expect:crying:

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to be near a body of water to experience a Flash Flood... misconceptions like that get people killed.

Granted, but until they fix the notifications to be more precise to my location and also fix the frequency with which they seem to repeat (when there is no change in the message), I do not want to be awoken at night 4 times for something that affects areas half a county away.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Granted, but until they fix the notifications to be more precise to my location and also fix the frequency with which they seem to repeat (when there is no change in the message), I do not want to be awoken at night 4 times for something that affects areas half a county away.

At least you're getting them. This last bout of severe weather we had in the Corn Patch, I got nada from that particular alert system. My weather apps however were going nuts which is why I have so many.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking...where are you located? I just took a project in Tulsa & I've been here a week. I have no idea what to expect:crying:

Sure! I am in St. Louis. How long will you be there?

Don't get yourself terrified, just be prepared. You're probably in a more "danger zone" area than me geographically, really, even though a lot of your storms come to us after you get them, but the best advice I have for you is to not ignore the alerts, don't ignore sirens, and generally be alert. Pay close attention to the weathermen, they've almost all been there a long time, they know how this stuff rolls in. OKC and Tulsa (along 44 really) get a lot of storms like this, and a lot of this weather tends to follow 44 up to my neck of the woods, or come in 70 to my neck of the woods. Then something about the Mississippi River just reinvigorates them again after STL wears them out and they get righteous for Illinois farmers again. Hurricanes and Tornadoes fascinate me.

These storms are usually on the front end of a big front, so like, it's been gross hot out, and a cold front is going to come through, that line where the hot and cold meet is usually the bad stuff. And when you are given the serious warnings and told to go in the basement if you have one, or the absolute lowest level, most interior room, DO IT immediately. These storms are no joke.

Also, get a little flashlight, an LED one if you can, for your keyring or to keep on you, just in case. Keep a few flashlights around your house/apartment/whatever, as well as bottled water and stuff like granola bars. And if you're worried about not having a charge, get one of those Mophie cases, so you have backup juice in case you lose power so you can get to news and reach people as needed. A lot of the news stations have apps, weather apps, and some will stream on your phone now too, so if you don't have a tv or power, you at least have that access. A weather radio might be good for you as well, so you get used to the alerts.

People here complain about how things get overblown and how the weather people are crazy about these storms. I'd rather they overblow the warnings than not. Normally my part of the burb gets missed, but on New Years Eve two years ago, a half mile from my house got levelled. And that was...scary. Our airport got nailed as well. All of this stuff is in heavily built up areas in the burbs of the city. No one takes this stuff seriously and they need to. I am somewhat guilty of that, I often sit in the living room or bedroom watching the weather report but not in the basement.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Sure! I am in St. Louis. How long will you be there?

Don't get yourself terrified, just be prepared. You're probably in a more "danger zone" area than me geographically, really, even though a lot of your storms come to us after you get them, but the best advice I have for you is to not ignore the alerts, don't ignore sirens, and generally be alert. Pay close attention to the weathermen, they've almost all been there a long time, they know how this stuff rolls in. OKC and Tulsa (along 44 really) get a lot of storms like this, and a lot of this weather tends to follow 44 up to my neck of the woods, or come in 70 to my neck of the woods. Then something about the Mississippi River just reinvigorates them again after STL wears them out and they get righteous for Illinois farmers again. Hurricanes and Tornadoes fascinate me.

These storms are usually on the front end of a big front, so like, it's been gross hot out, and a cold front is going to come through, that line where the hot and cold meet is usually the bad stuff. And when you are given the serious warnings and told to go in the basement if you have one, or the absolute lowest level, most interior room, DO IT immediately. These storms are no joke.

Also, get a little flashlight, an LED one if you can, for your keyring or to keep on you, just in case. Keep a few flashlights around your house/apartment/whatever, as well as bottled water and stuff like granola bars. And if you're worried about not having a charge, get one of those Mophie cases, so you have backup juice in case you lose power so you can get to news and reach people as needed. A lot of the news stations have apps, weather apps, and some will stream on your phone now too, so if you don't have a tv or power, you at least have that access. A weather radio might be good for you as well, so you get used to the alerts.

People here complain about how things get overblown and how the weather people are crazy about these storms. I'd rather they overblow the warnings than not. Normally my part of the burb gets missed, but on New Years Eve two years ago, a half mile from my house got levelled. And that was...scary. Our airport got nailed as well. All of this stuff is in heavily built up areas in the burbs of the city. No one takes this stuff seriously and they need to. I am somewhat guilty of that, I often sit in the living room or bedroom watching the weather report but not in the basement.

Thanks for the info Ame!!

I'll be here until sometime in July. I found an apartment down here and based on the info you provided and my own research, I'll make sure my apartment is equipped properly. I've already downloaded a million apps since I got here last week lol and I'll definitely be getting some flashlights. I'm not as freaked out as I thought I would be, I just like to be prepared and the locals don't really explain a whole lot. Thanks again:)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yknow, I think when you grew up with this kind of stuff, you kind of underestimate how absolutely horrific these storms are. A lot of people do not take the warnings seriously, maybe because they've never had the storm actually hit them, or don't actually know anyone that lost everything or was killed. But they're big, they're sometimes instant, but the weather people warn you in advance that the conditions are ripe for them, and it's still easy to blow it off.

Just be aware, have backup power, water and snacks that are non-perishable, and some flashlights and you should be ok!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yknow, I think when you grew up with this kind of stuff, you kind of underestimate how absolutely horrific these storms are. A lot of people do not take the warnings seriously, maybe because they've never had the storm actually hit them, or don't actually know anyone that lost everything or was killed. But they're big, they're sometimes instant, but the weather people warn you in advance that the conditions are ripe for them, and it's still easy to blow it off.

The Corn Patch is under the gun for tomorrow's round of severe storms. A lot of people here, myself included, are numb to the idea of warnings pretty much every other month and nothing ever comes from it. For that, I am thankful. The last time my area got hit by a bad, bad tornado was 1986. I had one hit my house a few years ago. Tore up my fence and took most of the shingles off my roof but that was the extent of the damage. Home owner's insurance took care of both thank God.

Another thing to add in, always make sure you have your ID on you. God forbid something happens to your neighborhood/town, but to keep looters out, cops and first responders won't let anyone by a certain point unless you can prove residence.

If you haven't downloaded iMap Weather Radio, download it. It's $10 but it's well worth the money. I have it on my phone as well as a dozen others but iMap is one of my two go to apps I love, love, love. The alerts are loud enough to wake even me up and I'm a sound sleeper. Even better you can set it to alert you after a certain time to severe storms and tornadoes only, not flood watches or flash flood warnings which usually don't pose much of a threat for me at least. :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The Corn Patch is under the gun for tomorrow's round of severe storms. A lot of people here, myself included, are numb to the idea of warnings pretty much every other month and nothing ever comes from it. For that, I am thankful. The last time my area got hit by a bad, bad tornado was 1986. I had one hit my house a few years ago. Tore up my fence and took most of the shingles off my roof but that was the extent of the damage. Home owner's insurance took care of both thank God.

Another thing to add in, always make sure you have your ID on you. God forbid something happens to your neighborhood/town, but to keep looters out, cops and first responders won't let anyone by a certain point unless you can prove residence.

If you haven't downloaded iMap Weather Radio, download it. It's $10 but it's well worth the money. I have it on my phone as well as a dozen others but iMap is one of my two go to apps I love, love, love. The alerts are loud enough to wake even me up and I'm a sound sleeper. Even better you can set it to alert you after a certain time to severe storms and tornadoes only, not flood watches or flash flood warnings which usually don't pose much of a threat for me at least. :)

Thanks a bunch!! I don't live in Tulsa, I'm just here for business so my ID will do me no good LOL. I'm definitely going to download iMap Weather though. I've been interested in the weather for as long as I can remember. When I was younger I would watch the weather channel for hours on end and before I came here, I'm pretty sure I had at least 7 weather apps...now I have 10 & iMap will make 11. Its an addiction, don't judge me:nerd:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a bunch!! I don't live in Tulsa, I'm just here for business so my ID will do me no good LOL. I'm definitely going to download iMap Weather though. I've been interested in the weather for as long as I can remember. When I was younger I would watch the weather channel for hours on end and before I came here, I'm pretty sure I had at least 7 weather apps...now I have 10 & iMap will make 11. Its an addiction, don't judge me:nerd:

I have 17 weather apps. I got you beat. :) I'm a weather nerd also. I just hope I don't need all of them when the crap hits the cooling mechanism later on tonight. The sun is starting to come out which is a very, very bad thing.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have 17 weather apps. I got you beat. :) I'm a weather nerd also. I just hope I don't need all of them when the crap hits the cooling mechanism later on tonight. The sun is starting to come out which is a very, very bad thing.

Oh wow!! 17...that's nuts & I'm kind of jealous LOL. I hope your weather doesn't get too bad today. There's nothing going on here today. Maybe rain a little later but thats it. Be safe out there!!!

BTW: Where is Corn Patch? I've never heard of it.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
We woke up at 430am to the alerts today. I couldn't hear the sirens in our house but they were going off early again this morning. The thunder and lightning were insane. There was a touchdown in Univ. City apparently. It's going to be madness all day with several more rounds on the way. It looks like it is regrouping across the river again and just hammering Indy again too.

I have my "emergency bag" which has copies of all our important papers, and I can shove my purse inside of it. I have my backup power source in there as well.