Should I buy a PS4 or Xbox One?

eradicator2k14

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been on the fence about both systems since they were announced months ago.
I finally saved the money..but here's the problem...still on the fence!
I have an Xbox 360 and have only played on it..never once played on a PS3.

If anyone has a good link to a great comparison that would be helpful. Every comparison article I have found seems to be biased towards one or the other.

Any articles, advice, tips, or general statements are welcomed!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've written a pretty lengthy review of my Xbox One experience so far: http://forums.imore.com/gaming/272823-my-xbox-one-review.html ...my good friend went the PS4 route first instead of Xbox and his review of the system is surprisingly quite similar to mine with the exception of quite a few less seeming "hardware" issues.

Short and sweet? These are systems with a severe lack of polish right now...an EXTREME lack of content right now...and to me, a serious lack of focus from either developer to get the systems on their feet after launch (neither of them...Xbox in my experience and hearing about the PS4's updates so far...have made any major firmware updates that cue any major shifts in optimization.

To put it simply...these are like jumping into an expensive Beta test...but the promising thing is, both systems are really full of awesome tech, we're just not seeing it at full stride yet. The Xbox 360 and PS3 were both like this when first released as well, so that should be slightly comforting as well.

I'm a masochistic early adopter...and I punish myself every time doing this. I enjoy reporting on the issues and watching the process smooth out personally though, you may not be the same, and if you aren't, you might want to wait a few months.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I bought my Xbox one but like Sean said they definitely lack some polish right now.

I would say stay clear from nba 2k14 of that is a game your interested in. It's fun when yo can play it but it seems the majority cannot access most of the modes and then it deletes saves quite a bit as well.

eradicator2k14

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm a masochistic early adopter...and I punish myself every time doing this. I enjoy reporting on the issues and watching the process smooth out personally though, you may not be the same, and if you aren't, you might want to wait a few months.

Same! I always like the jump on as early as possible! I would have had one or the other at this point had a school issue not arose at the last moment. I did like you're post..very thorough. Makes me wonder if I should jump on or just wait it out with my 360....

Quick question? I have 10 months live of XBL..that transfers over to Xbox One correct?

eradicator2k14

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad I bought my Xbox one but like Sean said they definitely lack some polish right now.

I would say stay clear from nba 2k14 of that is a game your interested in. It's fun when yo can play it but it seems the majority cannot access most of the modes and then it deletes saves quite a bit as well.

That is precisely the first game I was planning on purchasing...ugh. I have COD: Ghosts for my 360 and I figure why buy it for a different system. Hmm..

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That is precisely the first game I was planning on purchasing...ugh. I have COD: Ghosts for my 360 and I figure why buy it for a different system. Hmm..

It is extremely frustrating. I really like the game but as it is right now it is unplayable 90% of the time. Hopeful the update it soon and it will be a good game.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Same! I always like the jump on as early as possible! I would have had one or the other at this point had a school issue not arose at the last moment. I did like you're post..very thorough. Makes me wonder if I should jump on or just wait it out with my 360....

Quick question? I have 10 months live of XBL..that transfers over to Xbox One correct?

Yes, any XBL time and credits you have (used to be XBL points) are totally transferable to the Xbox One.

To add...NBA 2K14 isn't the only one having those issues, as of today, Battlefield 4 has been almost unplayable in all but Deathmatch mode (which is my least favorite mode unfortunately), this also seems to be the same on PS4...and Forza's online hoppers have been dreadful, to the point where people are simply making the online multiplayer a ghost town (which is quite depressing for a game and system that has been out just over a month).

Honestly, the only game I've played with very little issue (online) has been Need For Speed (which is very fun I must admit, given how I'm typically a racing sim fan and not an arcade racer fan).

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought a PS4 was planning on buying both.I still plan on getting a Xbox one when it comes down in price.I just didn't see spending a $100 more for something I don't want ie Kinect.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using iMore Forums mobile app

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm against the Xbox One for the same sorts of reasons that others are against it. I have no doubt it is a capable gaming machine but I am very uncomfortable with how things played out with it. I won't rehash that here: if you like the games and aren't bothered by that stuff the Xbone is sure to please.

For PS4...it is gorgeous and the controller is awesome. I still feel very lucky that I got one before Christmas. I just wish I had something to play on it. With no BC and a lot of titles still slated for 360/PS3, I definitely wouldn't put it as a must own.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm against the Xbox One for the same sorts of reasons that others are against it. I have no doubt it is a capable gaming machine but I am very uncomfortable with how things played out with it. I won't rehash that here: if you like the games and aren't bothered by that stuff the Xbone is sure to please.

For PS4...it is gorgeous and the controller is awesome. I still feel very lucky that I got one before Christmas. I just wish I had something to play on it. With no BC and a lot of titles still slated for 360/PS3, I definitely wouldn't put it as a must own.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

For sure, the games aren't going to come in that's as amazing as Infamous for a good few months. I would say wait out the launch window and then see if you can get one cheaper late in the year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can honestly say that this holiday season is going to be a really excellent time to buy both systems...as they will both have some very attractive titles out by that time.

I'm just crossing my fingers that some polish is also added to both systems by then too.

btw...bought my PS4 (and Kill Zone) last night. Now I'm in a situation where my home theater receiver no longer has enough HDMi inputs to support all the stuff, LOL! First world problems. Looking into some HDMi switches.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I can honestly say that this holiday season is going to be a really excellent time to buy both systems...as they will both have some very attractive titles out by that time.

I'm just crossing my fingers that some polish is also added to both systems by then too.

btw...bought my PS4 (and Kill Zone) last night. Now I'm in a situation where my home theater receiver no longer has enough HDMi inputs to support all the stuff, LOL! First world problems. Looking into some HDMi switches.

Review, Sean, review!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR