Weather

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd start of this thread by saying its been a weird week here in Central Texas. Mid-week lows were in the mid to low 30s in the Austin Metro, with below freezing in low spots and in the non-urban areas. Several days of low to mid 50s for highs. Cool for us here.

Starting Friday, and likely ahead of the advancing system sweeping in from the Northwest, yesterday's high was near 80. Today its already 87.

Of course I took advantage of that by doing some edging to keep the bermuda grass from invading the planting beds (bermuda was here when we moved in), and some general brush maintenance and weed pulling. Then fixed a fence gate door that was installed too low, causing the gate to drag on a high spot on the sidewalk. Sweated some, but nothing like the middle of summer here. Delayed mowing the grass as I thought a few weeks ago I'd be done for the season. Will let it freeze or go dormant unless we continue with warm weather.

Today went for a bike ride before lunch with temps already in the low 80s. Tonight it should begin to cool down and continue throughout the day tomorrow. Maybe some more yard work and garage cleanup if the schedule allows.

Anyway, how's the weather in your area? Are these temperature swings normal this time of year?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Prayers out to Washington, IL -- twitter has some pictures of horrific tornado aftermath... and other areas in Illinois as well hit... Da Bears game in delay due to tornadic thunderstorms...

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
It's sunny and mild here today in Kill Devil Hills. The day before was in the 70s, yesterday was 45, and today is going to hit about 60 or so. My knees hate this stuff.

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a nice and sunny day here on Long Island. Getting a bit cool and breezy though...wind chill is 32F right now. They are talking about some kind of "weather" for next week and all I can say is it better not frigging snow on Thanksgiving with all the cooking I'm doing!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It's sunny and mild here today in Kill Devil Hills. The day before was in the 70s, yesterday was 45, and today is going to hit about 60 or so. My knees hate this stuff.

I know the feeling. Wear and tear over the years is catching up to me. Strange how weather triggers that.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It's a nice and sunny day here on Long Island. Getting a bit cool and breezy though...wind chill is 32F right now. They are talking about some kind of "weather" for next week and all I can say is it better not frigging snow on Thanksgiving with all the cooking I'm doing!

That's getting chilly, especially with windchill. Looks like the first big Arctic system is moving Southwest this week. Tomorrow's high is 80 pre-front, falling to 39 by Friday evening. That may be the same system heading your way.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, mine is the result of 20 years in the Navy. 7 surface ships and 4 subs will ruin your knees.

Yes, mine are probably ground down some from my Army days. I think its more likely from years of running now combined with aging and arthritis.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Arctic system is here. Rained all day yesterday and off/on overnight. Light drizzle and mid 30's now. Light snow and freezing rain to the west and north yesterday. Tomorrow and Monday freezing rain, sleet, or light snow mix in the forecast.

Realize this is mild weather for many parts of the country. Problem here is hilly terrain and frozen precip do not mix well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2