Weather

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Atlanta had a meltdown. Some **** poor planning for that city. I used to live there, and it's kinda embarassing to admit.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Atlanta had a meltdown. Some **** poor planning for that city. I used to live there, and it's kinda embarassing to admit.

Same thing would happen here if it hit the Corn Patch. We have approximately two snow plows in the entire state and they're at the airport and the governor's mansion. We'd be straight up screwed if anything happened here.

My company is based in Georgia and they all had the day off yesterday and again today. Kinda weird seeing FLORIDA got snow and the Corn Patch didn't get anything.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The northern part of Florida, from Jacksonville to the Georgia border, does get snow from time to time. When it starts to snow in Sarasota, i'm heading for Key West.:p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

An incompetent emergency planning committee, a mayor who is more concerned with public appeal than the safety of the residents, and a governor who likes to pretend that taking the blame is enough to make people forget about his own short comings in this situation.

Honestly, we are just experiencing the same kinds of useless leaders most cities have 24/7, ours just shine brightest during disasters because the world's eyes are on their idiocy...and it doesn't help that our state is never properly prepared for such a storm (because they so rarely happen)...it also sucks that so many businesses and schools failed to take the warnings seriously until it was too late Tuesday afternoon. I remember sitting in my living room Monday night and telling my wife "This is going to be bad, like 2011...let's go to the store tonight and hunker down for a couple of days. So glad we did.

Not sure why it would be embarrassing to admit you used to live here though...this is an amazing city filled with even more amazing people. I watched more humbling acts of kindness from the residents of this area in the last few days than I have seen in years. Southern hospitality waving it's hand and reminding everyone that it is still very much alive and well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
28th Street...that was the major problem...that's about 2" of solid ice...SOLID ice. A lot of it is still there, and it was 45 degrees today.

jV28Oh4.jpg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How bad is it there now? It's heading my way. I'm in Kill Devil Hills, NC, the Outer Banks.

We've had primarily rain and sleet in midtown...but the rough stuff is coming tonight. My mom and my brother both live about 45min.-1hr north of me, and they are getting about 1" of snow per hour (my brother said they have about 4" right now), and the roads are already covered in ice.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I just read something on CNBC about the price of home heating oil going up again because of another "polar vortex" in March. Anyone hear about this yet?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I heard about it too...asked my brother (who is in HVAC) and he said that they are upping the cost of it so that they can maintain a higher cost next winter (because the trends seem to show another really cold winter...and this one, on average, was about 10-15% colder than normal for much of the US according to him). This is just like gas prices, where they jack PPG up and then drop it in the summer to make you feel like they are helping and then they jack it back up for winter. He said the movements today are actually to trend prices much later. Makes sense to me...damn gov't.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
After a high yesterday around 80, and a low this morning near 70; the fluctuations continue. Thunderstorms today with more potential for freezing rain into Mon-Tues.

Many trees and plants have started flowering or leaf out with the relative warmth last week. Actually had to mow and edge to knock down some of the weeds that were already starting to show seedheads.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
We had our FIFTH accumulation of global warming here in Kill Devil Hills last night. Not much, but you could see it. Sleet, snow and freezing rain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal