Atlanta Braves officially moving to new stadium in 2017!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know most of you aren't in GA...but this was a HUGE announcement today, especially since The Ted isn't that old (completed in 1995). The area they are considering is about 15min. north of midtown (with no traffic...as if that has ever happened, LOL!), but the area is SOOOO much nicer, cheaper and safer. All in all I'm pretty excited about the move, and look forward to a less chaotic experience going to Braves games. Not sure why anyone would even care here but I figured I'd share!

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I just read this on espn and my first thought was "I wonder what Sean thinks about this?" . . . so I went to the forums, and here it is . . imore truly *can* answer all my questions =D

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I've always wanted to ask . . you have two posts not on imore, those must have been truly memorable moments . . do you remember the occasions?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I know most of you aren't in GA...but this was a HUGE announcement today, especially since The Ted isn't that old (completed in 1995). The area they are considering is about 15min. north of midtown (with no traffic...as if that has ever happened, LOL!), but the area is SOOOO much nicer, cheaper and safer. All in all I'm pretty excited about the move, and look forward to a less chaotic experience going to Braves games. Not sure why anyone would even care here but I figured I'd share!

Hey Sean I thought of you when I heard this tonight. Man leaving Turner Field already. What's behind the move??

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sifting through most of the BS...this is what me and a few buddies have come up with as far as legitimate reasons for the move...

- The Ted needed around $150million worth of repairs to infrastructure and then on top of that, about $200million worth of technology upgrades to bring it to 2017 standards. That's $350million...or, just build a new venue for $700million and have everything you want PLUS a better area PLUS more revenue from surrounding business opportunities PLUS more tax incentives.

- The stadium rarely saw a sell out crowd with over 50k seats. Our market, location (and the fact that GA summers are BRUTAL to watch day games) means our average during non-weekend and non-divisional games was 30k over the season. The new stadium is supposed to be 41k seats, which will bring our average closer to sell out. It was funny because so many people argued that the Braves had terrible fans because we were only averaging around 60-70% capacity all season, but looking at the numbers, our average was very close to the total capacity of some of the "sell out" stadiums. Fenway's total seating capacity would look beautiful with our average lol.

- Surrounding development. Turner Field, for those who have never been, has absolutely NOTHING around it. It has residential areas, a tiny little gas station and a holiday Inn...the rest of the area are places that people can't use before or after a game, and that ALWAYS sucked. The new area has SO much more around it, and they also have a complex planned with the stadium with a restaurant and bar district, which will make trips to the stadium more enjoyable regardless of what time you go. As it sits, to see a Braves game, you kind of have to plan to get there close to game time otherwise you're just sitting there waiting...and that sucks.

- Parking. This is a problem at most parks, but particularly in Turner Fields case because the supplied parking areas filled up fast and private parking companies ran the other ones, and usually did not provide adequate security or traffic flow efforts for the $20-$30/car you'd spend to park down there. The new area has a plethora of parking options.

- Tax Incentives. Fulton County simply was not offering the Braves enough to keep them there, where as Cobb county was ecstatic about the move and were pretty much giving the Braves whatever they wanted to move in. Fulton was also not allowing for street vendors and other types of attractive business moves making Turner Field such an isolated place when the team is on the road or during off season...the new location is right next to one of the major malls in the area, next to one of the major performing arts venues and is in a part of town that is really seeing financial growth.

...all in all, it's a better move for the Braves AND for the fans. And it'll still have an "Atlanta" address, so there won't be any changes when it comes to the name or logo.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've always wanted to ask . . you have two posts not on imore, those must have been truly memorable moments . . do you remember the occasions?

Nothing interesting really, when I had a Blackberry, just before I got an iPhone in 2007, I visited Crackberry once to see if people were experiencing the problems I was seeing (battery pulls and what not), and after posting once, I realized that I didn't really care that much and never went back. The other post was on the Mobile Nations forum when they were discussing ambassadors for the first time and invited me and then apparently decided against it LOL! ;)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I hear that Turner Field will be demolished when the Braves leave in 2017. The stadium is what 20 years old?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I hear that Turner Field will be demolished when the Braves leave in 2017. The stadium is what 20 years old?

Not even 20...by 2017 it will have just turned 20 years old (for baseball purposes that is, it was used in the 1996 olympics). The thing about it is though, Fulton County was unwilling to give the Braves really ANY money towards renovations to the stadium (which they requested solely for infrastructure updates that were NECESSARY!)...they asked for $150mill. and Fulton County essentially told them to shove it...this, after giving the Falcons a ridiculous promise of money (especially when the Braves bring revenue over a larger spectrum of time during the fiscal year for the government).

In the end, the Braves bring A LOT of money into the city and Fulton County...and Fulton dragged their feet for about 30 years getting anything started as far as local development around that area...top that with the fact that they were being dicks about money, and it was an easy move for the Braves.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not even 20...by 2017 it will have just turned 20 years old (for baseball purposes that is, it was used in the 1996 olympics). The thing about it is though, Fulton County was unwilling to give the Braves really ANY money towards renovations to the stadium (which they requested solely for infrastructure updates that were NECESSARY!)...they asked for $150mill. and Fulton County essentially told them to shove it...this, after giving the Falcons a ridiculous promise of money (especially when the Braves bring revenue over a larger spectrum of time during the fiscal year for the government).

In the end, the Braves bring A LOT of money into the city and Fulton County...and Fulton dragged their feet for about 30 years getting anything started as far as local development around that area...top that with the fact that they were being dicks about money, and it was an easy move for the Braves.

I don’t see how anyone can argue against the Braves moving, given this information...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don’t see how anyone can argue against the Braves moving, given this information...

I have a really good friend that is just a stickler for "tradition"...and he feels that moving the Braves out of downtown Atlanta (which they really aren't in anyways, they are south of downtown) takes away from the team itself. People want to complain about something, that is what I'm seeing...because regardless of the OVERWHELMING logic FOR the move, people are still caught up on really stupid stuff like "Well, traffic in the new area is just as bad..." or "Turner Field isn't old enough to replace..." or my personal favorite "This is going to make that side of town even worse financially, why are the BRAVES doing that to the town?"

It's just silly. The Braves are making a business move more than anything, and it only helps the fans with what will inevitably be cheaper tickets, a better venue, more things AROUND the stadium, a nicer, cleaner and safer area and ultimately, NEWER stadium.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a really good friend that is just a stickler for "tradition"...and he feels that moving the Braves out of downtown Atlanta (which they really aren't in anyways, they are south of downtown) takes away from the team itself. People want to complain about something, that is what I'm seeing...because regardless of the OVERWHELMING logic FOR the move, people are still caught up on really stupid stuff like "Well, traffic in the new area is just as bad..." or "Turner Field isn't old enough to replace..." or my personal favorite "This is going to make that side of town even worse financially, why are the BRAVES doing that to the town?"

It's just silly. The Braves are making a business move more than anything, and it only helps the fans with what will inevitably be cheaper tickets, a better venue, more things AROUND the stadium, a nicer, cleaner and safer area and ultimately, NEWER stadium.

If he’s that big on "tradition", tell him the Braves are moving back to Boston... and the A's are headed back to Philly... the Giants and Dodgers are going back to NYC... etc...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If he’s that big on "tradition", tell him the Braves are moving back to Boston... and the A's are headed back to Philly... the Giants and Dodgers are going back to NYC... etc...

Hilariously, he was also one that was so dramatically against this hat making a return early this past season...

WhVLOtr.jpg

...stating it was offensive. I honestly think his "tradition" argument is a load of BS, especially since he really doesn't carry that over the spectrum of things he complains about. I also quickly went out and bought the hat while it was available, both because I loved the hat and in spite of his complaining (I wear it every time I see him, lol!)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the move. I'm not a Braves fan or anything, but still. I know it will be a nicer stadium in a nicer part of the city but...it won't be Turner Field :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the move. I'm not a Braves fan or anything, but still. I know it will be a nicer stadium in a nicer part of the city but...it won't be Turner Field :(

People said the same thing about Atlanta Fulton County Stadium as well...how quickly they forgot about that one, lol.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People said the same thing about Atlanta Fulton County Stadium as well...how quickly they forgot about that one, lol.

I think it's just something to remember Ted Turner by. I'm not even a Braves fan and I get all sentimental about that haha.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Fenway boy, love that old park and that green monster, it's history. But I'm glad the Braves have a new stadium. The old just needed way to much in repairs.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Fenway boy, love that old park and that green monster, it's history. But I'm glad the Braves have a new stadium. The old just needed way to much in repairs.

Fenway all the way! I don't see that being torn down any time soon ;). Under John Henry's ownership, they've done a lot of renovations and improvements to the park. There's no better seat in baseball than on top of the Green Monster.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2