Hey iMore: Let's see your ink!

aloomis76

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know there must be some of us that are tattoo aficionados so lets see what you got...Tell us a story about them...

Do you love them still?
Was it a mistake?
Are you embarrassed of any of them?
Any cover-ups?
Do you plan on getting more?
What else do you want to get?

Those are just some ideas...I'll start it off with my own...

Here is my first one...if any of you are "skaters" then you will notice that it is the "World Industries" little devil. I choose this tattoo for my mom actually. She always called me a little devil and so I got this for her...my own little devil lol...He is cute isn't he? HAHAHA This is on my left arm.

Left arm tat.jpg

This one is on my right wrist and I got it for my recovery from substance abuse. I used to be heavily into drugs and alcohol in my past. So much so that it led me to being actually homeless for almost 3 years. Since then, I have turned my life around and on October 6th of this year I celebrated 10 years clean and sober. This tattoo as a few different meanings for me...first off, it appears to look like "AA" which could stand for "Alcoholics Anonymous" which is where I got my recovery. Second, it means friends/good friends/close friends/best friends depending on where you look it up (maybe someone in here can shed more light on it for me lol) and that is why it is on my right wrist, so that I know that when I shake hands with you that you are my friend and I have let you in close to me...

Right Wrist tat.jpg

This one is on my upper back and it is of my family crest. My last name is "Loomis" as you can see on the bottom and the motto across the top basically means "Don't give in to evil" which I think is very fitting of my life. This one HURT when it was near the spine! lol

Back Tat.jpg

What I hope to get in the near future is the Prayer of St Francis on my left ribs going down my side. If you are not familiar with it here it is...

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace;
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.
Amen.

Also, I want to get this on my right ribs. It is a silhouette of a homeless man (representing my past life) asking for "change" rather than your money. I want to have him as he is with some of the bricks cut away and behind him will be a silhouette of the city of Los Angeles (because that is where I am from and the city that I love) and then a banner over it all that reads either "Lost Angels" or "Los Scandalous"...still not sure which yet

I Want Change.jpg

So that is me...what about you?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I just have one that I regret, BUT I do plan to get another. I'd like to get a recovery tattoo also (11 years in July), but what I'm thinking about is the triangle in a circle symbol on my hand, between my thumb and forefinger. This way I have to see it as I drink IF I ever drink again! ;)

aloomis76

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just have one that I regret, BUT I do plan to get another. I'd like to get a recovery tattoo also (11 years in July), but what I'm thinking about is the triangle in a circle symbol on my hand, between my thumb and forefinger. This way I have to see it as I drink IF I ever drink again! ;)

I'm thinking about getting another recovery tattoo on the inside of my right arm of a man standing on a mount holding the circle and triangle above him and rays of light are coming ouy of it...but that one can wait...no good design yet of the entire thing as I want it because there is more to it that I want but can't really explain lol

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You are far braver than I am. The only ink I have is what's on my hand if my pen leaks or something. :)

My sister is an ink addict so I'll leave that to her. I think at last count she had 5 or 6 tattoos I think and still wants more.

I faked getting a forced flu shot at work because I hate needles that badly so tattooing is out.

aloomis76

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You are far braver than I am. The only ink I have is what's on my hand if my pen leaks or something. :)

My sister is an ink addict so I'll leave that to her. I think at last count she had 5 or 6 tattoos I think and still wants more.

I faked getting a forced flu shot at work because I hate needles that badly so tattooing is out.

Yeah it is not for everyone...but they are addicting...get one and you are hooked! I just wish the first one was free lol

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's my neck.

necksmall.jpg
neck2.jpg

I have others, but they're in places not fit for iMore or I no longer like the subject matter.

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it is not for everyone...but they are addicting...get one and you are hooked! I just wish the first one was free lol

Yeah. I have a female friend who got a little one, just for fun. Then she wanted to match it. Then two more and she's thinking of another. :D All in good taste but it's funny how it snowballs!

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here in my country, if you had ink, you'd be stereotyped as a gangster. You will find that a tattoo comes free with a 1m-radius shield, where nobody would stand within a metre from you.
And if you inked your entire arm... Shield will be upgraded for free to Lvl. 2, where people judge you and the radius is now 2m.
Btw I'm using the metric system, it's metre, not miles :p

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Here in my country, if you had ink, you'd be stereotyped as a gangster. You will find that a tattoo comes free with a 1m-radius shield, where nobody would stand within a metre from you.
And if you inked your entire arm... Shield will be upgraded for free to Lvl. 2, where people judge you and the radius is now 2m.
Btw I'm using the metric system, it's metre, not miles :p
Sweet so where do you live because I love it when people leave me alone.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
After seeing the Talk Mobile 2013 final video I was intending to do just this thread. So you beat it to me :biggrin:

This is the first tat I got about 10 years ago. It was on my right arm, and I loved it. I got it at the same time as a friend and while he searched for a couple days trying to find one that meant something to me I just saw it and I wanted it. I think each tattoo depends on the person yes it can have some meaning but I don't think that is the only way you can get a tattoo. This tattoo had no meaning to me I just really liked it and I knew I always would. It's the smile now cry later masks except without expressions. The masks are hockey masks and while I was getting it the tattoo artist asked me if I want to color the eyes red he would do it for free. LOL I declined

IMG_0031.JPG

Christmas of 2012 my grandmother passed away. I wasn't able to go to the funeral because it was in Jamaica, West Indies. It hit me pretty hard because I hadn't seen my gradma in almost 12 years. My wife was planning on getting her first tattoo so I wanted to get a tattoo as well. So I designed a tattoo which was a mash up of my mom and my wife's name because they are the most important women in my life. When we went in for a consultation they told me the design was great on paper but as a tat it wouldn't work. So they asked me if I was open to them designing something for me. I was good with that and told them that I wanted two roses and some ivy wrapping around it to signify my grandma, Ivy was her name. They did the design and I loved it but the ivy wasn't prominent enough for what I wanted so I ended up adding my grandma's name to the tattoo. It worked our amazing because the names Annette(mom), Ivy(grandma) and Renata(wife) spelt Air with which I couldn't live without. I was intending to get it on my left arm and have them touch up my first tattoo. They couldn't do the touch up because the tattoo was older and very small. So instead they covered up the first one and I would get them to redo the first one on my left arm later this year. So here it is

IMG_0407.JPG

A picture of after the first sitting. The shading and majority done
IMG_3898.JPG

It was done with bamboo. The first sitting was 6 hours and the second sitting a little over 4. It turned out awesome and now I've started thinking about what I want to get on the other arm. I've changed my mind from getting the same tattoo that I got the first time. I'm thinking of something fun that incorporates my astro sign, Libra. So far I'm thinking of an off kilter scale with anime style devilish woman in one side and an angel in the other. We'll see what I end up getting :biggrin: I'm also getting my initials in the same lettering on my tattoo above. The tat will be in the middle between my thumb and pointer finger. My wife is also gettting the same because we both have the same initials.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Singapore, it's famous for being ridiculously tiny. The recent forest fire in Aussie has burned the area of one Singapore already.

And I'm really liking you guys' tattoos! have only saw a few tats IRL, really cool to see them up close here.

aloomis76

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Who knew our community members had so much 'ink'!? Sadly I have none, but am really enjoying this thread! Keep postin'!

Sadly? Never too late to start acquiring some...take a page out of Dan from WPCentral's book...he has some great ink! You should get him in here James and see if he'll enlighten us with all of his ink glory lol ;)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I have a female friend who got a little one, just for fun. Then she wanted to match it. Then two more and she's thinking of another. :D All in good taste but it's funny how it snowballs!

Sounds like my sister. Started out with a tr*mp stamp then moved on to a Chinese character on her neck, a butterfly on the top of her foot, her kids' names on her shoulder and a memorial tattoo for our dad who died 2 years ago. She begged me to get the memorial one as well. I told her that her artist could have at it with a Sharpie but that's it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Sadly? Never too late to start acquiring some...take a page out of Dan from WPCentral's book...he has some great ink! You should get him in here James and see if he'll enlighten us with all of his ink glory lol ;)

yeah it would be great if this thread was cross platform posted. So everyone could join in, MN should think about that. Have an option where you can choose the sites that the thread is displayed on within the forum. So we would be getting posts from everyone not just iMore readers.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I love watching tatoo shows like Tattoo Nightmares and Bad Ink. It's cool to see all kinds of tattoos people get bad and good. My funny story about tattoos was when I was looking for a place to get my first one done. So my cousin and I go to this one tattoo parlor and we're in the waiting area. This guy comes in with his woman and they go over to the artist and she tells him what she wants and she wants it on her boob. There's no curtains and the guy says ok take your top off. Every guy's head in the waiting room just did the same turn to look and the woman's boyfriend stood there mean muggin everyone. We all were laughing and I'm thinking you must have come to check the place out. You saw there was no curtains and you knew where she wanted the tattoo. So did you think every guy was what gonna close their eyes LOL

Xopher

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No ink, personally, but my wife has a few. An Indian feather anklet, a rose with a ladybug, and a green man. She's looking at adding a peacock feather next.

I keep thinking about it, but not sure what to get, or where to place it.

aloomis76

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No ink, personally, but my wife has a few. An Indian feather anklet, a rose with a ladybug, and a green man. She's looking at adding a peacock feather next.

I keep thinking about it, but not sure what to get, or where to place it.

The first one people often think long and hard about...after they get bit by the little inkbug...it's gimme gimme from then on! LOL You will still put thought into it but you won't think for as long that's for sure...the needle addiction will have you ;)

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I got my first, and only, one 2 years ago and I absolutely love it!! Hard to believe, but it's seashells...on my hip! Artist had never done them before and loved my original idea...
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1382754061.477528.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods