NBA thread

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The Bulls had won 6 by then. Certainly not just Jordan. The thing that kills me is how we rewrite history when talking about Lebrons greatness. Let’s not pretend like Jordan didn’t have help in greats from Pippen to Horace Grant to Dennis Rodman etc.

You're right, Mike did have help but so did LeBron whether we really want to acknowledge it at all. He's never played a game of 1-on-12. LOL

Beyond that Lebron has statistically surpassed Michael in dang near every playoff stat and finals stats. Anyone saying Lebron isn’t on the same list as Jordan is simply rewriting history and ignoring the facts. Him bouncing teams doesn’t make him less of a great player. And in my opinion, having rings doesn’t make anyone great. There are like 9 or 10 players with more rings than Jordan yet we call Jordan the greatest.

Hey, no shots at Robert Horry. HAHA

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t dislike KD for the move. I just think it was in poor character. Of all the teams to join you go to the one who just beat y’all? The lack of loyalty on display in that move is wild. He got a lot of flack from players themselves for such a move. He had every right to make the move. It’s just a character trait I’m not a fan of personally.

Even if you know that the team you’ll be joining is the perfect fit for your game, your personality and your psyche, would you conclude that your own character is poor for making the right decision for yourself simply because of joining the team that just beat the team you were on and was considering leaving anyway?

KD has stated on numerous occasions that he is not a leader and he did not want to go to a place where he was forced to be “the guy”. He wanted to go to an organization that allowed him to be himself, work on his craft and win. Well, he did just that.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Even if you know that the team you’ll be joining is the perfect fit for your game, your personality and your psyche, would you conclude that your own character is poor for making the right decision for yourself simply because of joining the team that just beat the team you were on and was considering leaving anyway?

Yes lol. I’m just too competitive for that. Sports and employment are two different things. I’m, personally, not going to buddy up with the team that just washed me and the guys I’ve played with for years. Nor am I going to think highly of a teammate who does that. I’ve played way too many pickup games to know what the feeling of that loss feels like. Ain’t no way I’m joining the guys that just beat me. We are going to rest up and be right back the next game lol.

KD has stated on numerous occasions that he is not a leader and he did not want to go to a place where he was forced to be “the guy”. He wanted to go to an organization that allowed him to be himself, work on his craft and win. Well, he did just that.

And that’s his prerogative to do so. I’m only saying it’s not for me. There are many other teams he could have went to. And OKC almost took that series. They were a very capable team and, IMO, he bailed on them.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You're right, Mike did have help but so did LeBron whether we really want to acknowledge it at all. He's never played a game of 1-on-12. LOL

Hey, no shots at Robert Horry. HAHA

They both had their share of help. I just think the bulls were a more capable team without MJ. Their 93-94 season without him still saw them with around 57 wins and reach the second round of the playoffs. With Bron, Cleveland didn’t see another playoff appears until he returned (which saw them reach the NBA finals). When he left Miami they didn’t make the finals for another two seasons I believe.

Honestly, I’m not saying Bron is better. I’m just saying he absolutely has earned his spot on the list with the greats.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This presents an interesting question. Do we actually believe Steph is the star on that team? In other words, do we think the Warriors would be less championship worthy without Steph by a large margin? He’s not very consistent in the finals to be honest. The greatness of the warriors is that when Steph is off, there are other stars to pick up the slack. This past finals was the KD show through and through, IMO.

Steph Curry is indeed the star and franchise player of the Golden State Warriors.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All I know is if Lebron wins another championship he will have no choice but to be on the list with all the names you’ve all mentioned in this thread. Moving team to team is a character trait. But from a skills and stats perspective, he’s easily up there with the greats. Let’s not forget Jordan wasn’t a bull his whole career. Heck, he wasn’t even an NBA player is whole career lol.

Even if he wins another championship, he will NEVER be on the list I mentioned above because he has not played for one team his entire NBA career. He will, however, be among the GOATS of the game. There’s no doubt about that!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes lol. I’m just too competitive for that. Sports and employment are two different things. I’m, personally, not going to buddy up with the team that just washed me and the guys I’ve played with for years. Nor am I going to think highly of a teammate who does that. I’ve played way too many pickup games to know what the feeling of that loss feels like. Ain’t no way I’m joining the guys that just beat me. We are going to rest up and be right back the next game lol.
That’s where you’re wrong. Pro sports is an occupation. As for not buddying up to the team that just beat you, what if you get traded to that team. Are you telling me you wouldn’t do whatever it took to win with those guys? Would you sabotage the new season with your new colleagues for them beating you the previous season with your former colleagues?

And that’s his prerogative to do so. I’m only saying it’s not for me. There are many other teams he could have went to. And OKC almost took that series. They were a very capable team and, IMO, he bailed on them.

He didn’t bail on ‘em. He completed the terms of his contractual obligation and then decided to take his services elsewhere. No one can say that he didn’t give his all during his OKC tenure. Apparently, he felt that he could not reach his full potential there and clearly he was right...

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
That’s where you’re wrong. Pro sports is an occupation. As for not buddying up to the team that just beat you, what if you get traded to that team. Are you telling me you wouldn’t do whatever it took to win with those guys? Would you sabotage the new season with your new colleagues for them beating you the previous season with your former colleagues?

He didn’t bail on ‘em. He completed the terms of his contractual obligation and then decided to take his services elsewhere. No one can say that he didn’t give his all during his OKC tenure. Apparently, he felt that he could not reach his full potential there and clearly he was right...

Pro Sports is the occupation. Playing basketball is the occupation. It was his choice to play for the team that just beat him. I’m not debating his ability to do so. I’m just saying from a competitive lens, it was a trash move.

You must be a Warriors fan lol. Only Warriors fans defend KDs move so strongly lol.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Steph Curry is indeed the star and franchise player of the Golden State Warriors.

Career stats put Durant above Steph though. And the finals performances of the last two years of them being team mates are in KDs favor. The year they lost to the Cavs (prior to KD joining them) showed Curry’s weakness. I’m riding with KD on who the true star of that team is personally lol. Finals MVP two years running doesn’t lie lol.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Career stats put Durant above Steph though. And the finals performances of the last two years of them being team mates are in KDs favor. The year they lost to the Cavs (prior to KD joining them) showed Curry’s weakness. I’m riding with KD on who the true star of that team is personally lol. Finals MVP two years running doesn’t lie lol.

Don’t misunderstand me. I didn’t say that Curry was better than KD because he’s not, but that doesn’t mean that the Warriors are better with KD than with Steph. Steph is the engine that makes the team go. He is the face of the team, crowds flock to the arenas to see him and he has the respect of the entire team. He’s their leader and franchise player. That’s a fact!

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess I can see both sides (loyalty vs leaving). At the end of the day though, KD did was best for him and his sensibilities. To be honest, more people need to do that as opposed to staying in “bad” situations and being unfulfilled. And that’s sports and non-sports alike. Lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes lol. I’m just too competitive for that. Sports and employment are two different things.
Hold up! Professional sports and employment are indeed the same thing. The NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, WNBA, etcetera are all businesses and the players and coaches are contracted employees.
I’m, personally, not going to buddy up with the team that just washed me and the guys I’ve played with for years. Nor am I going to think highly of a teammate who does that. I’ve played way too many pickup games to know what the feeling of that loss feels like. Ain’t no way I’m joining the guys that just beat me. We are going to rest up and be right back the next game lol.
Okay, what if you get traded to the team that just beat you? Are you going to purposely sabotage the season with that team because you’re still ticked that they beat you or will you devote your time and effort to making your new team better?

Every NBA team has been beaten by every other NBA team at some point. If you signed a contract to be with an organization for 8 years and then went on and gave that organization your all for those 8 years and then felt that your growth as a man and an athlete was not progressing, would you sign another contract with that team, knowing things will pretty much stay the same or would you opt to go to an organization where you can grow both as a man and as an athlete? Sure, there were other teams he could have joined, but clearly they were not the best choice for him and the one he chose clearly was because he is now a two-time NBA champion and a two-time Finals MVP.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I can see both sides (loyalty vs leaving). At the end of the day though, KD did was best for him and his sensibilities. To be honest, more people need to do that as opposed to staying in “bad” situations and being unfulfilled. And that’s sports and non-sports alike. Lol

No doubt about it and I, too, understand both viewpoints. However, in KD’s case, he completed his contractual obligation to OKC and was preparing to leave anyway.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR