DragonStorm: So 20 years ago I wrote an RPG...

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
20 years ago I was bored and trying to figure out how to use PageStream on the Amiga, so I took a summer off and put together a role-playing game. I'd call it an old-fashioned RPG, but back then I was still playing Dungeons & Dragons and War Hammer, and both of those were pen-and-paper based, so it was fairly current for its time.

All the words were written in plaintext and type-set in PageStream. The drawings were illustrated and colored by hand, scanned in, processed in OpalPaint, and then embedded into PageStream. The whole thing on sitting in AmigaHD floppies, which I have no way of accessing, but I spent some time scanning the only hard copy I had just so I could keep a digital copy around for posterity.

It was designed for 10 sided dice exclusively, and while it was play-tested a bit, I never got it to a truly fast, enjoyable state.

In any event, since I once again lacked time to participate in NaNoWriMo, I figured I'd share this at least. I don't recommend playing it, and I'm slightly embarrassed by the quality of the content (not that my skills have improved much in the interim), but maybe this will motivate me to dig out -- and actually finish up! -- some other projects I have kicking around the non-Apple parts of my brain.

This is the low-res scan. About 9MB.

DragonStorm beta

Adam Zeis

Administrator
Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This makes me want to go buy a ream of paper (and a printer) so I can print out this bad boy and play all weekend. Good stuff Rene!

nf_tammy

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Rene,

I had no idea you wanted to participate in NaNoWriMo... that's cool. Too bad you weren't able to do it this year. Maybe next year you'll have some time. It's a lot of fun!

This looks pretty cool. I remember the D&D days. Wow! That was a lifetime ago. My brother and I would play all day while KISS was playing in the background. Good times! Good times!

In any case, this game looks awesome! You really should revive it. Maybe Kickstart it! I bet it would do well.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I always *want* to do NaNoWriMo, but I write about 60,000 words a month for iMore, and I haven't found a way to viably scale that higher without dying :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice