Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This thread seems like
d?j?
d?j?
d?j?
d?j?
d?j? vu

Haha. I mute the tv when it comes on. I think it's stupid marketing to mock your potential customers.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess you don't remember the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC commercials lol

I will 2nd the who cares notion, I find the the commercial where the guy is holding his parents place in line to be hilarious and I don't like my SG3 and can't wait to recieve my iP5 but it doesn't mean it's not ammusing.

We were talking about the phones...not the computers. Microsoft (PC) and Apple will always have a rivalry that stems back to both companies birth...and that particular marketing campaign was specific to a conversation between Jobs and Gates if I remember correctly (origin wise).

There's funny, witty marketing, and then there's the Samsung commercial...it's about as funny as walking up to someone who's using an iPhone at the mall and going "Your phone is a piece of sh*t, my phone can do this...u jelly?" Hilarious, right?

---------- Post Merged at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:06 AM ----------

I was simply saying Samsung has sold a ton of phones, I wasn't comparing the sales figures. The demand globally for Samsung phones seems to be doing OK, its why they are the only major player in the game with apple right now.

The siri commercials made it seem as if siri responded instantaneously with perfect answers every time, which we all know is bs. I'm not the first to point this out about those commercials.

Anyhoo the Samsung commercials are funny, but once the Note 2 comes out you'll see Samsung focus on their own stuff and move away from this type of marketing.

So you think every company should make sure to point out that their product doesn't work or look like what people see on TV 100% of the time? lol...hopefully you're pursuing a career outside of marketing.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was funny myself. They make some good points in a lot if features they have had fit a while and some other minor ones are played up. I'm a big iPhone fan but if you can't laugh at yourself a bit life is going to be a lot harder.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So you think every company should make sure to point out that their product doesn't work or look like what people see on TV 100% of the time? lol...hopefully you're pursuing a career outside of marketing.

I just think (as do many others in the media...just google it if you care to bother, but I'm guessing you don't care that much about this) those particular commercials were disingenuous. And yes, that's what marketing is all about, point out the good stuff, avoid reality if possible. I understand marketing just fine. Those commercials with celebrities using SIRI probably sold a few people on SIRI (and the iPhone) for sure. But it was marketed, in those particular commercials, as being able to operate a certain way, which it does not. The feature Samsung markets in their current commercials (touch to share) actually works they way they advertise it to work. Do a lot of people have a use for it? Maybe not. And yes, Samsung is pushing some potential customers away by telling them you are stupid if you want an iPhone and not a Samsung phone. But how is that any different than marketing a 4" device as having common sense design? So every single other person who is using a phone bigger or smaller than 4" is lacking common sense? Including everyone with previous gen iPhones? Common sense tells me there are a lot of people who have bigger or smaller hands, and 4" is not perfect for them. Steve Jobs thought the smaller screen was perfect. I guess he and all the designers lacked common sense too?

I'm just saying Apple's creative direction in Marketing in the past year or so has been pretty bad IMO. Samsung's current commercials are just funny to some of us, nothing more or less, and maybe off-putting for others. As much as some find the Samsung commercials stupid, or bad marketing, I find Apple's recent commercials to be pretty lame. I liked the MAC vs. PC ones, and some of the iPad commercials over the years have been fantastic, and I've always liked the iPod commercials. Just saw the new one last night, and it's not bad.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There used to be a time when only Apple got it. Samsung gets it too. These are clever commercials. Their success with the Galaxy series and as just one of several android makers is impressive.

Instead of being angry at Samsung, I'd direct it at Apple. The Siri celeb ads were horrible. The genius ads were a new low. The latest ones were an obvious attempt to get back on track but definitely not on par with the past.

The Thumbs one in particular is bad because it's the argument Apple made for the original iphone's size. This new iphone is definitely worse for the majority in terms of one handed use. But even if it wasn't, it's just something you shouldn't focus on for marketing given their better options.

But keep in mind that Apple's goal isn't to be a leader in sales or marketshare. Talking about who sells more is stupid. Apple's goal is to maximize revenue and profit margin. They are a premium brand and have a required healthy margin for each sale. It's rare for a premium product to actually lead in marketshare for any product. Apple is one of the few who does this especially in areas like tablets and ipods (mp3 players). It's why they're valued as one of the top companies on the planet. It's unlikely things will remain that way for Apple in the tablet market that they pretty much established. The question will be how much share can they retain? An ipad mini should help.

If Apple's goal was to be a sales leader, we'd see them adopt such a strategy. Cheap phones, different form factors, low margin, all the carriers, etc.

IMO, Apple should focus their marketing on why people love iphones. Features, support, ecosystem, services, itunes. It just works. Promote the premium-ness. The red carpet treatment so to speak.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Samsung doesn't have a product that sells like the iPhone does without these kind of marketing tactics...I'd rather have a product sell and still be able to take the high road of sticking with marketing that supports our own products and not having to stoop to taking pot shots.

Watch out, you just may get samsunged!!! LOL.:p

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Samsung ads are ridiculously stupid because it just does so many things wrong. In advertising companies make fun of other companies not of users. Their ads are not making fun of Apple it is making fun of the users who wait in line to get the device. They are basically calling anyone who waits in line for a device and pays with their hard earned money an idiot. It is their choice which device to buy and that is not something that should be made fun off it's called choice. The next thing is that pissing off people who are buying an iPhone has a negative effect because those people will hate the company and if at some point they want to switch to Android that negative feeling will go a long way. I mean let's be honest we all know Samsung would love if users lined up for their devices like that and they would also love each and ever person in line to switch from an iPhone to a Samsung device. The next problem was their ad that tried to make the iPhone look uncool by having a young guy keep a space in line for his older parents. So now Samsung is making fun of older people saying that once the older generation buys it, it's not cool anymore. They are also saying that older people don't know technology. These are the people who might not know every smartphone on the market but when they walk into a carrier store they should be Samsung's biggest target because they don't already have the pre-programmed intention of getting an iPhone, HTC, LG, etc. They are targetting the younger audience by alienating the older generation. It's just not a smart move instead you want to appeal to all demographics, cast your net to catch the most fish.
My problem with the ads showing them tapping to share pictures and "You did that without a dongle" is that in the real world does it really work that way? In order to tap and share the device needs to be running Jelly Bean with Android Beam as far as I understand it. Now how many devices actually do? So when the guy with the Motorolla tries to share with the Galaxy S3 Uh oh it doesn't work. I know the same can be said for Siri so perhaps it's my bias showing up on that one.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
We were talking about the phones...not the computers. Microsoft (PC) and Apple will always have a rivalry that stems back to both companies birth...and that particular marketing campaign was specific to a conversation between Jobs and Gates if I remember correctly (origin wise).

There's funny, witty marketing, and then there's the Samsung commercial...it's about as funny as walking up to someone who's using an iPhone at the mall and going "Your phone is a piece of sh*t, my phone can do this...u jelly?" Hilarious, right?

This is a thread about a company making a commercial taking jabs at another companies product that is meant to be a competitor. It is the exact same thing as Apple did 8ish years ago when they decided to call PC's inferior products to Mac's and if you like PC's you're boring nerd and if you like Mac's you're cool and young in a funny way. Samsung never called the iPhone "a piece of sh*t" however Apple basically did exactly that with the Mac/PC commercials. If you can't see the comparison, I think you're drinking too much of the koolaid lol.

Is Samsung Going Too Far with Its New Ad Campaign? - LockerGnome

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is a thread about a company making a commercial taking jabs at another companies product that is meant to be a competitor. It is the exact same thing as Apple did 8ish years ago when they decided to call PC's inferior products to Mac's and if you like PC's you're boring nerd and if you like Mac's you're cool and young in a funny way. Samsung never called the iPhone "a piece of sh*t" however Apple basically did exactly that with the Mac/PC commercials. If you can't see the comparison, I think you're drinking too much of the koolaid lol.

Is Samsung Going Too Far with Its New Ad Campaign? - LockerGnome

Are you seriously trying to argue your point and then make this statement legitimately? LoL...what were they calling the iPhone in those commercials?

And i never said i didn't see the comparison...the comparison is almost a mirror to be perfectly honest, but like i said before, we were talking about Samsung vs. Apple, a relatively new squabble in the world of consumer tech, not a 25 year old back yard brawl between Jobs and Gates that filtered into their marketing. But alas, it must be the koolaid right? I think Samsung is a little early to the fight to be taking pot shots like they have been...get a phone that exceeds the iPhone in some way and maybe it'll be a little more "in good fun" (for lack of better term). Right now they just kind of look like the new kid on the playground who sucker punched someone to feel badass...

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
ehhh.. commercial doesn't bother me. I personally thought it was funny because I went through the same thing with the iPhone AND the iPad. The only thing that matters to me is that I love my iPhone.. even if it doesn't have some of the features S3 might have.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Methinks there may be a little bit of this going on...from the LockerGnome article posted by xoxospecialk

"A lot of the backlash might be due to the fact that this particular campaign hits home to more people. Apple fans are a rabid bunch, and the same could be said for Android fans. We’ve covered this ongoing heated debate at length here on LockerGnome. The fact is that the bandwagon effect is very powerful, and it’s never fun to have your end of the bandwagon made fun of."

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you seriously trying to argue your point and then make this statement legitimately? LoL...what were they calling the iPhone in those commercials?

And i never said i didn't see the comparison...the comparison is almost a mirror to be perfectly honest, but like i said before, we were talking about Samsung vs. Apple, a relatively new squabble in the world of consumer tech, not a 25 year old back yard brawl between Jobs and Gates that filtered into their marketing. But alas, it must be the koolaid right? I think Samsung is a little early to the fight to be taking pot shots like they have been...get a phone that exceeds the iPhone in some way and maybe it'll be a little more "in good fun" (for lack of better term). Right now they just kind of look like the new kid on the playground who sucker punched someone to feel badass...

Samsung Slams Apple Commercial - Galaxy S3 - YouTube

There is the whole commercial... please tell me where it calls the iPhone "a piece of sh*t", oh that's right you can't. Do I still prefer the iPhone, yes but it doesn't mean the commercial isn't funny or a truthful about the iPhone and a large precentage of the people that are buying it. You initially said you'd rather be a company that can sell it's products without having to take pot shots at it's competitors, I pointed out that Apple had in fact done the exact same thing and your response was "this is a thread about phones" lol. This is a pointless debate, feel free to continue to think whatever you'd like. I am 100% correct and anytime someone doesn't agree with you, you start to border troll territory though most people won't actually say that you personally as you have been a member here for a while with thousands of posts. Anyway have a nice day I am off to play with my new i5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Slams Apple Commercial - Galaxy S3 - YouTube

There is the whole commercial... please tell me where it calls the iPhone "a piece of sh*t", oh that's right you can't. Do I still prefer the iPhone, yes but it doesn't mean the commercial isn't funny or a truthful about the iPhone and a large precentage of the people that are buying it. You initially said you'd rather be a company that can sell it's products without having to take pot shots at it's competitors, I pointed out that Apple had in fact done the exact same thing and your response was "this is a thread about phones" lol. This is a pointless debate, feel free to continue to think whatever you'd like. I am 100% correct and anytime someone doesn't agree with you, you start to border troll territory though most people won't actually say that you personally as you have been a member here for a while with thousands of posts. Anyway have a nice day I am off to play with my new i5

Aww...did someone forget to take their midol today? Cry me a river...troll territory? Because i don't agree with YOU? Hypocritical much?

Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem, as i said that i very obviously see/saw the similarities between the two situations...I just pointed out that i thought Samsung was a bit early to the fight, and Apple can have marketing strategy that takes a higher road between the two...did i ever say that Apple always does this? Nope. We were talking about the phones, which is why i said Apple takes a higher road in marketing strategy, yet some how you thought your "100% accurate" recollection of Apple's computer marketing campaigns was something i was oblivious to...and in that sweetheart, you were 100% wrong. You can walk away though, it's ok, i still think Samsung is a little early to the fight to make this kind of commercial, you don't agree, and nobody cares either way.

As far as Samsung calling the iPhone sh*t, you're right, no where in their video did they literally call the iPhone sh*t...congratulations, thanks for the obvious report. My comment was a generalized (and yes, sensationalized) view of what they DID say (or better put, infer)...that the iPhone was old news, drab, mainstream, pedestrian (feel free to add 100 other synonyms)...forgive me for adding "sh*t" to that list, if it makes you feel better, just replace the word with any number of negatively reflective descriptives terms you would feel more comfortable with, i'll personally stick with what i originally said, because that's what i got out of their marketing personally.

All that said, you knock yourself out with trying to criticize me and call me a troll...i guess I've just brain washed hundreds of members on here or something.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
When I said you bordered troll territory I was being nice, you come across as a rude hypocritial person that thinks he is smarter and better than others and when someone tells you otherwise you have to resort to absurd "insults" because you can't keep up on an intellectual level. I hate to break it to you, but you are the hypocrite with reading comprehension issues. I took myself out of this because it's pointless debating with someone that is not worth debating witth. You said I knocked myself out by calling you troll (which isn't exactly what I said) but you starting your post with some dumb comment about midol doesn't knock you much less makes YOU a hypocrite?!?!?! LMAO, the mere fact that you would even go there proves my points about how you come across perfectly. I'm not trying to criticize you, I am telling you flat out how you come across. Anyone can go back and look at all your posts in this thread, and I honestly can't even believe I wasted my time replying to you again. Oh and I highly doubt that 100's of people in here care about what you have to say, all I said was you have 1,000's of posts... goes back to that reading comprehension thing you need to work on lol.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When I said you bordered troll territory I was being nice, you come across as a rude hypocritial person that thinks he is smarter and better than others and when someone tells you otherwise you have to resort to absurd "insults" because you can't keep up on an intellectual level. I hate to break it to you, but you are the hypocrite with reading comprehension issues. I took myself out of this because it's pointless debating with someone that is not worth debating witth. You said I knocked myself out by calling you troll (which isn't exactly what I said) but you starting your post with some dumb comment about midol doesn't knock you much less makes YOU a hypocrite?!?!?! LMAO, the mere fact that you would even go there proves my points about how you come across perfectly. I'm not trying to criticize you, I am telling you flat out how you come across. Anyone can go back and look at all your posts in this thread, and I honestly can't even believe I wasted my time replying to you again. Oh and I highly doubt that 100's of people in here care about what you have to say, all I said was you have 1,000's of posts... goes back to that reading comprehension thing you need to work on lol.

I thought you were done? How many more epic novels are you going to write me telling me you think I'm rude? lol...it's ok sweetheart, the world will keep spinning.

Not that it really matters, but since you're so vested in my history here, I'm surprised to hear you think i resort to insults on here much at all, because honestly, i don't unless provoked, but either way, like i said before, it's no big deal, part of the fun of being part of a community is having people of all kinds, i guess that kind of has to include those that don't like you when looking at the whole spectrum of things.

Have a good night! And thanks for the general review of me...i have to admit, until this post, i had no idea who you were.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought you were done? How many more epic novels are you going to write me telling me you think I'm rude? lol...it's ok sweetheart, the world will keep spinning.

Not that it really matters, but since you're so vested in my history here, I'm surprised to hear you think i resort to insults on here much at all, because honestly, i don't unless provoked, but either way, like i said before, it's no big deal, part of the fun of being part of a community is having people of all kinds, i guess that kind of has to include those that don't like you when looking at the whole spectrum of things.

Have a good night! And thanks for the general review of me...i have to admit, until this post, i had no idea who you were.

Maybe you shouldn't write an epic novels also lol.... and you don't know who I am because I haven't been on this site in a long time because there is usually nothing that is worth talking about. I didn't know who you were either I until I started realizing that everytime there was some rude comment your name was to the left ;)

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

You're still mad that the Braves lost arent you :(

:D GO CARDS!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're still mad that the Braves lost arent you :(

:D GO CARDS!

Yes, yes i am...lol. ;)

Maybe you shouldn't write an epic novels also lol.... and you don't know who I am because I haven't been on this site in a long time because there is usually nothing that is worth talking about. I didn't know who you were either I until I started realizing that everytime there was some rude comment your name was to the left

Still here?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice