i remember when gasoline was..

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, we are...;)....and yes, I do remember the LONG lines especially during the Carter administration. That sucked, but shortly thereafter, those full-service stations became self-service stations. Those were the days, weren't they?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

I remember that too. I also remember the stations went from full serve to mini serve before adopting self serve. Mini serve was where the attendant only pumped gas but didn't clean windshield, check tires, etc.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it amazing any of us survived??? With all the new "safety" regulations now, seriously, how did anyone grow up? No helmets, sitting in the front seat, buying smokes from a machine...
Also I got my license in 1996 and gas was .99 a gallon, and I would drive hard and fast and fill it up all the time and not care!!! Now I don't even hit the gas pedal in traffic!! I just coast through the city!!! 60 dollar fill ups is a TRAVESTY!!!

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
OMG! We had the 1970 edition encyclopedia books and I had to rely on those things (when doing research at home) until I graduated from high school. Kids today (generally speaking, of course) have information at their fingertips but are brain dead to the core.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

My parents bought me an Encyclopedia Britannica in the 70s. I used it for all of my homework papers from grade school through high school. I also learned how to use the library card catalogs to find books for homework assignments.

I actually ended up working at the local public library when I was in high school and college, but by that time (starting in 1985) the library had computerized its catalog.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The really funny (scary?) part is that when I tell my kids about this, they don't believe me. And my grandkids look at me like I have 3 heads. They can't grasp the concept of "records", a single B&W TV with 3 snowy stations to watch, and movies that you watch with a film projector... we had one phone in the house and it was a big, black "desk" model with a rotary dial, connected to the wall with a terminal block - didn't even have the RJ-11 plugs...

And we didn't go out to eat every day - or even every week. Eating in a restaurant was a real, special treat...

I learned to ride my bike without a helmet, probably ate lead paint, and my "seatbelt" in the car was the back of Dad's arm to keep me from flying around in the car as I stood in the front seat between him and Mom... but we all survived, anyway. :)

There were no such things as booster seats in cars either. Once kids were too big for car seats or being held they just sat in the car.

How about when TV stations signed off? I don't think any do that anymore.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
There were no such things as booster seats in cars either. Once kids were too big for car seats or being held they just sat in the car.

How about when TV stations signed off? I don't think any do that anymore.

The national anthem and the Indian on the screen. I remember that. The Indian scared the crap out of me too. The local PBS station used to do that a long time ago when I was a kid. It'd end with the National Anthem followed by that annoying beep and that Indian screen.

Filled up my truck on Friday after work. $3.04/gal. Never thought I'd be so happy to see gas at $3/gallon.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I never paid attention to gas prices until I got my first car in 1986. I remember finding places around Atlanta that were 79 and 80 cents a gallon. Even until as recently as 2000 it was 1.10 in Yorktown, Virginia where I used to live and it's exploded, pardon the pun, upwards lately.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The national anthem and the Indian on the screen. I remember that. The Indian scared the crap out of me too. The local PBS station used to do that a long time ago when I was a kid. It'd end with the National Anthem followed by that annoying beep and that Indian screen.

Filled up my truck on Friday after work. $3.04/gal. Never thought I'd be so happy to see gas at $3/gallon.

The indian on the screen? Are you referring to the one in regard to pollution?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The indian on the screen? Are you referring to the one in regard to pollution?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

No. This:

testpattern-hd-720.png

That Indian looked mean to a five year old ginger kid.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember that one either. Where did you grow up? Perhaps it was specific to certain locations (midwest plain states where the Native Americans lived)... The "test pattern" that I remember was just the charts, no photos or other images were in them.

Same here. No other images except that of the test pattern and I grew up in central Florida.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember that one either. Where did you grow up? Perhaps it was specific to certain locations (midwest plain states where the Native Americans lived)... The "test pattern" that I remember was just the charts, no photos or other images were in them.

The corn patch in which I reside is in Arkansas. This was way back when I was a kid some 25 years ago or so. The local PBS station used to use it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal