i remember when gasoline was..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
this weekend i had the opportunity to fill up my truck twice due to helping a friend move and found it funny that when i saw that gas was ONLY $3.19 at this one particular gas station i was excited!

but after the rape had worn off i could not help but think..

i remember as a very young child my mom would pull into a gas station and reach into the ash tray (she did not smoke) and grab loose change to fill the tank up! :eek:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I remember when... you could fill the car with gas and take a family of 5 to McDonalds - and have change left from a $20 bill.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, my wife and I were talking about that this weekend. I paid $3.47/gallon... and commented that it was odd that we were happy to be paying that amount after almost $4/gallon a few months ago.

I remember a gas war between two stations on the same corner right after I got my license... gas which was normally about $0.30/gallon was down to $0.19/gallon... and I am NOT THAT old :)

jono212.

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow I wish fuel in the UK was that cheap we are paying around $8.30 per gallon here

Edit: I know for you guys that is a lot more than it used to be but for us in the UK it seems a lot cheaper as we pay so much

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was just telling my kids the other day that when I was a teen, gas was somewhere around $.50 to $.75 a gallon. I also remember when the service attendant would clean your windshield, check your oil level as well as pump your gas for you. They can't even fathom such a thing and the same goes for Drive-in theatres. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I was just telling my kids the other day that when I was a teen, gas was somewhere around $.50 to $.75 a gallon. I also remember when the service attendant would clean your windshield, check your oil level as well as pump your gas for you. They can't even fathom such a thing and the same goes for Drive-in theatres. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Yea D, we are dating ourselves, but I remember these days too, and less! When I was a kid I remember my dad paying like .29 or .39 cents a gallon. Of course NOT during the great gas crisis, remember how prices rose then till Nixon froze them, and remember the gas rationing. Even and odd days, and the long LONG lines, and the stations running out of gas?

EDIT: What's ironic? I'm about twice as old now as my Dad was then!!!!!!

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow I wish fuel in the UK was that cheap we are paying around $8.30 per gallon here

Edit: I know for you guys that is a lot more than it used to be but for us in the UK it seems a lot cheaper as we pay so much

****ing **** mother****ing ****!

probably why people ride bikes a lot too lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea D, we are dating ourselves, but I remember these days too, and less! When I was a kid I remember my dad paying like .29 or .39 cents a gallon. Of course NOT during the great gas crisis, remember how prices rose then till Nixon froze them, and remember the gas rationing. Even and odd days, and the long LONG lines, and the stations running out of gas?

EDIT: What's ironic? I'm about twice as old now as my Dad was then!!!!!!

Yes, we are...;)....and yes, I do remember the LONG lines especially during the Carter administration. That sucked, but shortly thereafter, those full-service stations became self-service stations. Those were the days, weren't they?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
pk & D, il jump in and 'show' my age too, Wth!! Lol:D

As a teen I remember paying .87? a gal myself and now with the way prices go, we get happy seeing that we're paying less than $3.50 a gal.

And boy oh boy, do I remember the 'gas shortage' days. Depending on your plate numbers determined when you were 'allowed' to go get gas but at a limited quantity...you weren't allowed to fill up.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, we are...;)....and yes, I do remember the LONG lines especially during the Carter administration. That sucked, but shortly thereafter, those full-service stations became self-service stations. Those were the days, weren't they?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Oh, man do I remember... Help, Mr. Wizard! (Tooter Turtle reference)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Showing my age - and I don't think I'm that old - it was 90 cents a gallon when I started driving. There's an ad in the back of my high school yearbook from a few of the gas stations in town. Anywhere between 90-98 cents a gallon.

I paid $3.11 day before yesterday to fill up my Xterra. Still cost me $62.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Showing my age - and I don't think I'm that old - it was 90 cents a gallon when I started driving. There's an ad in the back of my high school yearbook from a few of the gas stations in town. Anywhere between 90-98 cents a gallon.

I hear ya. I have a Nissan Titan Crew Cab and I want to cry every time I pull in to fill it up. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I started driving it was about 89 cents per gallon. You could fill up easily on 20 bucks.

No doubt. If you used the entire $20, you had to have been completely out of gas...(laughing)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess we all now know who the middle-aged members are, huh? ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I guess we all now know who the middle-aged members are, huh? ;)

I feel sorry for kids... they'll never know that once upon a time, you had 3 channels of TV to pick from, and maybe a 4th if PBS channel came on the air... and there was no such things as cell phones... computers with the tech specs of the average smartphone today filled a room... and we walked barefoot in the snow to school - uphill both ways :D

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

Me too, it was right right around a dollar a gallon, in fact I remember when it broke the dollar mark and how upset we were. Can you imagine how happy we would be now to pay a dollar a gallon? Right now it's more in Philly than in Jersey, so I usually fill up during my trips to visit family there or to the parent's shore house on the weekends. It's about 3.50 here, and about 3.10 in Jersey

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I feel sorry for kids... they'll never know that once upon a time, you had 3 channels of TV to pick from, and maybe a 4th if PBS channel came on the air... and there was no such things as cell phones... computers with the tech specs of the average smartphone today filled a room... and we walked barefoot in the snow to school - uphill both ways :D

Right and the phones that we did have, had rotary dials!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You're a sick man, Keith, in regard to walking barefoot uphill both ways in the snow...(laughing)...but you're right and don't forget about having to go outside to turn the antenna to get the best signal for a clearer television experience. Oh, and the ONE telephone that had a cord that could wrap around the neighborhood. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR