Will Apple Loosen Up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
^^^ This is the kind of post I'm talking about...what exactly do you want to customize that you can't on the iPhone after it has been jailbroken? You can pretty much turn an iPhone into an android phone after it has been jailbroken. I've yet to see anyone legitimately list what they simply cannot do on an iPhone after a jailbreak...people just like to complain like its the truth, lol.

Here's the deal, Sean. Look at the part of your sentence that says "after it has been jailbroken". That's where the problem lies. All jail breaking, rooting, etc., comes with inherent risks. Download an app from some repo, and it may not work properly. So now you delete it, and guess what, some residue of that bad or corrupted app still remains in the phone. If customizing is important to someone, as it is to me, then a stock (high end) Android phone, beats a jailbroken iPhone any day. The bottom line is this...YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO JAILBREAK, ROOT YOUR PHONE, TO GET IT TO LOOK LIKE YOU WANT IT TO. End of story!:p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I understand your point...but that wasn't my point. My point was that people pretend like the iPhone just plain and simply isn't capable of higher end customizing, period. This is simply not true. With a jailbreak you can make your iPhone look and perform however you want it to, at an almost unlimited frequency.

Do i agree that the iPhone needs some native customizing options? Absolutely! It would be pretty awesome to do so with the ease people have come to expect from an Apple product...but that wasn't what i was debating, i was debating the ability to do so period, which is fully there for whoever wants it.

SayntJ...again, you're referring back to a non-jailbroken state, and I'm not here to argue that because that is a HUGE can of worms that really is kind of moot because of how easy it is to jailbreak an iPhone and how there are essentially no draw backs to doing so since the phone itself can be reverted back to a non-jailbroken state and no one would be the wiser.

Also, the battery life issue...imagine having no control over said terrible battery life. That is the life of most Android phone users, since so many of those features are native, the battery life at its best is simply atrocious. Then the android users root their phones...(the mirror of jail breaking on the other side of the fence), and their battery life becomes almost laughable. The iPhone, even jailbroken and customized to the heavens turns in a pretty respectable power consumption rate when compared to a like phone from the other brands (with the exception of the Windows phones, which i have read have pretty amazing battery lives).

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I understand your point...but that wasn't my point. My point was that people pretend like the iPhone just plain and simply isn't capable of higher end customizing, period. This is simply not true. With a jailbreak you can make your iPhone look and perform however you want it to, at an almost unlimited frequency.

Do i agree that the iPhone needs some native customizing options? Absolutely! It would be pretty awesome to do so with the ease people have come to expect from an Apple product...but that wasn't what i was debating, i was debating the ability to do so period, which is fully there for whoever wants it.

SayntJ...again, you're referring back to a non-jailbroken state, and I'm not here to argue that because that is a HUGE can of worms that really is kind of moot because of how easy it is to jailbreak an iPhone and how there are essentially no draw backs to doing so since the phone itself can be reverted back to a non-jailbroken state and no one would be the wiser.

Also, the battery life issue...imagine having no control over said terrible battery life. That is the life of most Android phone users, since so many of those features are native, the battery life at its best is simply atrocious. Then the android users root their phones...(the mirror of jail breaking on the other side of the fence), and their battery life becomes almost laughable. The iPhone, even jailbroken and customized to the heavens turns in a pretty respectable power consumption rate when compared to a like phone from the other brands (with the exception of the Windows phones, which i have read have pretty amazing battery lives).

You're right that the iPhone is highly customizable (with a jailbreak), but at what price? O.K., if it gets screwed up, you can restore it and try again, but who wants to have to go through that BS. I've been there, and done that, but never again. Now, i can't speak for anybody else's battery life. Androids have a bad reputation in that department, and it's probably justified. I've had my Vivid for only three days, and at the end of each day my battery is at about 40%. An overnight charge, and i'm good to go. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just speaking my personal opinion. :D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

You're right that the iPhone is highly customizable (with a jailbreak), but at what price? O.K., if it gets screwed up, you can restore it and try again, but who wants to have to go through that BS. I've been there, and done that, but never again. Now, i can't speak for anybody else's battery life. Androids have a bad reputation in that department, and it's probably justified. I've had my Vivid for only three days, and at the end of each day my battery is at about 40%. An overnight charge, and i'm good to go. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just speaking my personal opinion. :D

Meh, I have never had a messed up JB that had to be restored due to problems, ymmv.... Is your Vivid running Androids latest ICS, or are you still waiting for it like so many other Android devices? See, that is one of the nice things about Apple that some peeps forget about. At the end of our day, us iPhone users know that we have the most current iOS version that our devices will support.... Just my cents. :D

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Meh, I have never had a messed up JB that had to be restored due to problems, ymmv.... Is your Vivid running Androids latest ICS, or are you still waiting for it like so many other Android devices? See, that is one of the nice things about Apple that some peeps forget about. At the end of our day, us iPhone users know that we have the most current iOS version that our devices will support.... Just my cents. :D

Waiting on my Ice Cream Sandwich, but having fun with my Vivid. Very fast and smooth, and the customizing is outrageous. Don't have to root, to get what i need. Thanks for asking, Rosie.Slainte!:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Again, my point was that the iPhone was highly customizable with a Jailbreak...just like Android phones need to be "rooted" to really get into the meat of the device. Are there more native customization options on the android? Yup! But its also missing things as well...most notably in the hardware department (and battery too but i made that point earlier).

Either way, if the Android phone does what you like and makes life better for you than an iPhone, i got no problem with that, my wife is actually looking at getting some sort of droid when her renewal time is ready this year (just to try something different).

Where my qualms are is when someone makes the comment that the iPhone isn't customizable enough...it tells me that they haven't' tried, and just want to complain about something for the sake of complaining.

As far as "going through" reverting an iPhone when something fouls up while jailbroken...lol...i think we can all agree that the process is much less painless than the downsides of many of the other phones...like Blackberry's battery pulls, Androids constant firmware wars, Windows phones...existance... (lol :p ). I could go on and on...restoring an iPhone in iTunes is one of the most effortless functions i have ever experienced on a cellular phone in my life when it comes to fixing a problem with software.

mbobella

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No Steve Jobs had everything to do with their managerial model and project process, therefore, they will continue to replicate his methods.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If you're an informed consumer you know these things prior to your purchase, therefore you really have nothing to complain about. While YOU may think iOS needs all those little tweeks, apparently there are MILLIONS of people who don't think so. Apple is the most succesful company on the planet right now, someone who makes those decisions apparently knows something you don't... If you need/want all those customization options then the iPhone probably isn't for you.:D

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I'm a former BlackBerry user who does occasionally wish for more customization on the device, but for the most part, I side with Apple on this. The entire success of Apple has been based on taking average consumers and making them feel like "techies". There's no way that happens if you allow individual carrier, manufacturers, whatever to craft their own version of an "iPhone", "iPad" or whatever. The devices are VERY accessible for how inherently complex they are, and that's true across the whole operating system.

That being said, I do think Apple is a little slow to the party to accept some basic change. There was time where people on these forums probably defended the lack of tabbed browsing, multi-tasking, and other features that were only added in OS 4 or 5. And I STILL don't understand why Apple doesn't allow you to do things like turning on/off radios or bluetooth without going through several menus. But as the poster said above, that's the other edge of the sword, and the "stubborn" side has been pretty darn successful!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're an informed consumer you know these things prior to your purchase, therefore you really have nothing to complain about. While YOU may think iOS needs all those little tweeks, apparently there are MILLIONS of people who don't think so. Apple is the most succesful company on the planet right now, someone who makes those decisions apparently knows something you don't... If you need/want all those customization options then the iPhone probably isn't for you.:D

To say that people who "need/want all those customization options then the iPhone probably isn't for you" is unfair and unjust. There is nothing wrong with a customer wanting a company to add certain things to a product to improve his or her user experience. For example: Having a notification L.E.D will not make the iPhone a Blackberry but it would please a great deal of iPhone users.
I have an iPhone 4S and I love it and yes, it is for me, however, it is not a perfect device and it does lack things that a certain segment of its users want and that is a fact!

Just Me, D

Last edited:

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
No, I doubt very highly that Apple well ever loosen up any time in the near future. Jailbreak will still be needed for customization. Btw, Swype is just one of the many tweaks of a jailbroken iPhone. I am using it now on my 4S to post this reply.

Sweet I was wondering if it would eventually come to ios devices.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I'm a former BlackBerry user who does occasionally wish for more customization on the device, but for the most part, I side with Apple on this. The entire success of Apple has been based on taking average consumers and making them feel like "techies". There's no way that happens if you allow individual carrier, manufacturers, whatever to craft their own version of an "iPhone", "iPad" or whatever. The devices are VERY accessible for how inherently complex they are, and that's true across the whole operating system.

That being said, I do think Apple is a little slow to the party to accept some basic change. There was time where people on these forums probably defended the lack of tabbed browsing, multi-tasking, and other features that were only added in OS 4 or 5. And I STILL don't understand why Apple doesn't allow you to do things like turning on/off radios or bluetooth without going through several menus. But as the poster said above, that's the other edge of the sword, and the "stubborn" side has been pretty darn successful!

Exactly I dont want to go through 4 menus to get to get bluetooth to toggle on which makes things like sbsettings extremerrly useful.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Some of us don't want our iPhone's to be android phones...

Damn right! I deal Android crap all day, all the "customization" leads to a garbage customer experience in the end.

The people that jailbreak are generally the people that can responsibly alter their devices to suit their tastes, the mainstream population isn't ready to do that nor is capable of doing it right. Hence Apple's HUGE success with just three phone models, and Android's need to flood the marketplace with new devices everyday to keep up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can now use custom wallpapers with the iPhone. Does that make it an Android device? Of course not. The iPhone now has a drop down notification bar. Did that transform it into an Android device? No, it did not. My point is this: there is only one 'pure' iPhone and that is the original one. Customers wanted certain things and got it. Now a great deal of current iPhone users want a larger display and will probably get it. All of the things I've mentioned are customizations that people have wanted and received and those customizations did not interfere with the iPhone's identity. Neither will future customizations, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I asked is because there are a lot of people who I have seen on other forums who left apple because they were fed up with being in a cage all the time. Personally I like many points about my new phone but at the same time see other areas that are lacking behind the competition and certain things that bug me. I understand that if it was a completely free system that things are not going to run nearly as smooth and thats not what I want. I just think that things are bolted down a little more than they have to be and that it wouldnt kill them to loosen up a hair. Does not having the ability to change your own battery or buy a larger one really make all that much sense, escpecially when there is lots of people who would love to be able to do so? Btw, Blackberry used to make a killing as well and only release phones with small changes each iteration, but now look where that got them. Oh and even if I wanted to return the phone it doesnt make sense for me because the $30 fee that is normally charged is $70 because it an Apple:mad:

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple is extremely successful with their current model. I do not see them making any significant changes to "keep up" with their competition, since they are killing them where it matters.

There will always be some people who value features in another product, and that's not a bad thing.

If you want to "muck around" with your phone, buy an Android. If you want something you can simply use, by an iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You can now use custom wallpapers with the iPhone. Does that make it an Android device? Of course not. The iPhone now has a drop down notification bar. Did that transform it into an Android device? No, it did not. My point is this: there is only one 'pure' iPhone and that is the original one. Customers wanted certain things and got it. Now a great deal of current iPhone users want a larger display and will probably get it. All of the things I've mentioned are customizations that people have wanted and received and those customizations did not interfere with the iPhone's identity. Neither will future customizations, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My "android device" comment was in relation to customizing the home screen, which seems to be the popular "need" from so many people...which is also why i made the battery life comments since that goes hand in hand with all those fancy animated graphics people so desperately want on their iPhones. And honestly, i have no problem with your want to have those things...jailbreak your iPhone and put them on their and enjoy your terrible battery life!

This becomes increasingly frustrating, as it's been asked a thousand times without any REAL answer...but WHAT customizations do you want on the iPhone that you can't do now? And i don't want to hear your sob stories about jail breaking...i want an honest to god answer, what customizations do you want to be able to do that you cannot do right now (native or jailbroken)?

Put some effort into this before you complain about it folks...honestly, all your customization dreams are a jailbreak away.

Status
Not open for further replies.