Nexus Prime vs iPhone 5: 720p 4.8" 320 dpi Android vs. 720p 4.0" 326 dpi iPhone

DJChameleon#IM

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I was playing with a calculator and speculating about the next Nexus phone versus the next iPhone.

If you multiply the iphone pixels by 1.125 you get 720 x 1080 resolution. If you maintain the 326 dpi of iPhone 4 you end up with a 4" screen that will still fit inside the current size iPhone with 1.3 mm bezel on each side and of course, smaller bezel top and bottom.

The rumors from BGR indicate the next Nexus phone be made by Samsung and will have a 720 x 1280 Super Amoled Plus HD branded screen (16/9 aspect ratio). I did a little calculating based on the physical phone size of the Samsung Galaxy S II. Since the Nexus Prime will be a button free design merging the tablet and phone android platforms, the screen can be 4.8" and still have a 4mm bezel on each side.

I personally believe the next iPhone needs to increase the screen size and I know most users don't want to lose retina display resolution so that limits the max size screen to 4" without making the phone larger. My question is will that be enough improvement in screen tech for the iPhone to slow down android's market share growth. When I am out in bars I see lots of iPhones but I also see a ton of over-sized android screens out there. I can't escape the conclusion that the large screen is the single biggest selling point for Android versus iPhone. Personally, I use both an iPhone and Android phone but that big screen on the Nexus Prime is like a siren calling to me. I own a LG G2X with a thin case that is the same width as a Samsung Galaxy S II and it does feel good in the hand. If there was a 4.8" native 720p screen on it, how many people will be attracted like moths to a flame.

Will the superior camera, better app selection, Minimal fragmentation, better stability, IOS 5 features and Apple ecosystem be enough to slow the bleeding of market share to Android, even if the phone is bumped up to 720p hd and a 4" screen. I wonder if maybe Apple has a much better implementation of a 3D glasses free technology that will wow people. Kind of like how face time did video calling much better than anyone else even though it wasn't first.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Either way, I'll get both devices.

I've purchased all the iPhones and currently have the i4. I have also purchased both Nexus devices and currently have the Nexus S 4G.

Can't wait =)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2