Hi folks. I just inherited a Dual Core Macbook Pro running OSX 10.5.8
    Any advice Macbook Pro users can give me I'd much appreciate. I am a long time Windows user and have always respected and admired OSX and it's capabilities. So I'm really excited to play with iMovie, iPhoto, and maybe Xcode. Three questions I do have are:

1. Is there any advantage of connecting iPhone to Mac over Win?

2. Is there any issues connecting or syncing back and forth from Mac and Win?

3. Does the latest iLife come with the $29 upgrade to OSX 10.6 or does it need to be purchased separately?

TIA,

hermdog
    05-22-2011 08:59 PM

If you want to keep the phone and two computers synced - you need to do a 3-Way sync...and use something like G-mail or MobileMe. You'd sync both computers and the phone to "the cloud" (gmail or mobileme) - that way any change you make in one place will get picked up by the others.
    05-22-2011 10:13 PM
    I'm synching OTA with exchange. I guess this should not be an issue for me.
    Thanks for the response.
    05-23-2011 10:10 AM
    I switched from a PC to a Mac when i got my iPhone4 last year. To answer your questions: 1) I believe that Apple to Apple runs smoother. 2) No issues that i know of. 3) Can't help you there( I have 10.6.7, but i don't know anything about iLife ). Sorry i couldn't do better.
    05-23-2011 04:01 PM
    I switched from a PC to a Mac when i got my iPhone4 last year. To answer your questions: 1) I believe that Apple to Apple runs smoother. 2) No issues that i know of. 3) Can't help you there( I have 10.6.7, but i don't know anything about iLife ). Sorry i couldn't do better.
    Thanks for the feed back. I went to the Apple store and did find out that iLife is not part of the 10.6 upgrade.
    Last edited by hermdog; 05-23-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Correction
    05-23-2011 04:19 PM
    Nice inheritance.
    05-24-2011 08:24 AM
    The MacbookPro is only good if the screen. And the thing is so expensive that most people who buy it get a small 13 or 15 inch screen which isn't good at all
    05-26-2011 11:52 AM
    Hi folks. I just inherited a Dual Core Macbook Pro running OSX 10.5.8
    Any advice Macbook Pro users can give me I'd much appreciate. I am a long time Windows user and have always respected and admired OSX and it's capabilities. So I'm really excited to play with iMovie, iPhoto, and maybe Xcode. Three questions I do have are:

1. Is there any advantage of connecting iPhone to Mac over Win?

3. Does the latest iLife come with the $29 upgrade to OSX 10.6 or does it need to be purchased separately?

TIA,

hermdog
    It's been awhile so you probably figured these out already.

I find it much smoother using the iPhone on Mac vs Windows. I only ever sync mine on my Mac but work in a Windows dominated company so all the other iPhones here are synced with Windows and it seems different whenever I've had to work with them in terms of iTunes. It's not something you can put your finger on but it is different.

If you want to copy between two of your own machines you can use home sharing between the two machines so they both have all the media between the two. You can also copy the iTunes folder from the My Music location from one to the other putting it back into the same location. This way syncing between the two should be good. If there is anything that you only sync on one then you have to uncheck it on the other machine or it will be removed when you sync to computer 2. So for example if you sync your calendars with outlook on your windows machine but on the Mac you don't use anything then uncheck the sync calendars option on the Mac.

I have 10.6 and I had to buy it seperately

You should also think about running Windows virtually it makes using both OSes, if that's your need, so much easier. If you do I recommend VMware Fusion over Parrallels.
    05-27-2011 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD