Snowmageddon 2011...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So it's now Thursday and Atlanta seems to be slowly creeping back to life after getting basically shut down by snow and ice. Now having grown up in new england for much of my childhood, i've seen MUCH MUCH worse, but when this happens here, Georgia simply can't cope with it, no resources to fight the weather, we just have to sit back and succumb.

And i'm seeing pictures from family up north of just intense snow levels up there since yesterday.

So who's been/still is stuck at home?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm moving to just north of Clearwater Florida this month. :p

I grew up in Snellville and no, they can't cope with it. The drivers can't cope, the city management can't cope. How is it now?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So glad I'm on the gulf coast where snow is a nonissue and I was back in a t-shirt today. Getting stuck by the blizzard in NJ 2 weeks ago was bad enough - that's why I moved down here! But in order to fly anywhere from here we pretty much have to go through Atlanta, so that's been a huge issue for us.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yea, yea, yea. I'll tell ya what I did enjoy - showing my snow plow videos to my friends down here who have never seen snow plows. LOL!

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
And here I sit in Ottawa, where we're supposed to get TONS of the white stuff, and it's been unusually light on the snow front. Almost a green Christmas, New Years was so mild any snow we did have had all but disappeared. We've gotten a few snowfalls since, but nothing like what one would expect for this time of the year. Mother Nature is really messing with our heads methinks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The roads are about 95% now...still icy in some shaded areas, but travel isn't bad anymore at all, and its supposed to be warm for a few days so hopefully it'll melt the left overs away. There is still snow EVERYWHERE, and it was 60 degrees today! lol...

dorthensensens

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I remember seeing an episode of tales from the crypt where the crypt keeper went to a warm summery climate locale to flee the cold winters from (wherever she was from) only to get buried under a bunch of snow in a freak snow storm. Life imitating art.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
This is what reminds me why I stay here in the Village. We may not have Macy's, Chipotle, or a million other things, but we also don't have snow, ice, or freezing rain. Supposed to be 70 today.

However, lest you think this storm will leave us alone, it is supposed to get cold tomorrow, and your snow storm will probably spawn tornadoes down south. So...thanks in advance.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Chicago area here...under a blizzard warning in a few hours. The killer is that I had to take some friends to the airport this past Saturday. They were flying to, yep, South Florida. That really hurt. They're going to the beach today and we're readying for a blizzard. Man that's just...just...cold. Pun intended.

If we get nailed like they're saying I'll put some pics in this thread.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Rain rain rain is all we're seeing for the better part of this week...thunderstorms tonight, but 50's and 60's. I can deal with rain...you guys up north can keep the snow and ice, thank you.

I do have a friend near Chicago and he said they are freaking right now because they haven't had a "perfect storm" (for lack of better term) come that way in like a decade or more.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Warm Globally, Cool Locally. :)

I'm thankful my vehicle rides high - so I can see over the tops of at least some of the snow piles at intersections so I can see traffic without being in it.

The other issue experienced is the snowblower discharge chute has to be pointed just shy of straight up when adjacent to the piles at the end of my driveway in order to have a hope of throwing snow over or atop them.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
We went out yesterday to run errands. I had to put on shorts for crying out loud. We stopped by the bike shop here and spent two grand on bikes. :)

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Some pics from my front door. Most roads are closed here in Lake County. Don't know an official snow amount, but I'm hearing between 18-20". Lots of blowing and drifting. Some drifts are taller than my kids...this will make for some great pictures later today.

IMG_8947.jpg

IMG_8945.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's warmed up to a balmy zero degrees - just 12 hours and 40 minutes from Verizon iPhone pre-order Launch :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro