NFL Discussion thread

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Here’s the truth...you can absolutely say Super Bowl all you want...

“The NFL has trademarked the terms “Super Bowl” and “Super Sunday,” but that doesn’t mean it actually controls all rights to the phrase. Instinctually, we all know that can’t be how the law works. We see and use trademarked names for things all the time. Grocery stores advertise special deals on Coca-Cola and we put “Windex” on our grocery lists. Commercials namecheck competitors by name all the time.

It doesn’t even make any internal sense. Companies have trademarks so that they can have something that everyone instantly recognizes, not so that they suddenly become Voldemort and can’t be named out of fear.

Having a trademark means being able to make sure no one can slap the name of your product onto theirs and confuse buyers into thinking they’re getting the real thing. It also means stopping an instance where using the name might make someone think it’s an endorsement or sponsorship. If neither of those things happens, you can call the Super Bowl the Super Bowl. The ability to use something’s trademarked name to identify it—even in a commercial—is called “nominative fair use.” Because the trademark is its name.

Thankfully, the NFL and the Super Bowl are really good at letting us know who has paid astronomical amounts to get the NFL’s endorsement. Ads end with things like “official vehicle sponsor of the NFL” and there’s a whole page of sponsor names on the Super Bowl’s website. There are so many instantly recognizable ways to know who has partnered with the NFL and who hasn’t that no one can think your party is an official, NFL-sponsored get together. No one thought that about the one at the church in 2007.

The reason no one says “Super Bowl” has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with the massive amount of resources the NFL has brought to bear on the issue. Its pockets are very deep, its will is strong, and its desire for control ravenous. But its scare tactics don’t change the fact that you can totally say “Super Bowl.”

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok so I was watching the Superbowl commercials and saw the "Chip on your Shoulder" ad from Cure Auto. Its the same couple from the "Screw in your head" commercial. I noticed in the chip one that the woman has a band-aid on her far head, I guess where the screw was? As an homage to the earlier commercial? I thought that was pretty clever. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You know I’m starved for sports when I’m sitting here quarantined and gleefully watching the Patriots vs Falcons Super Bowl LI game on Fox from a few years back....

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
You know I’m starved for sports when I’m sitting here quarantined and gleefully watching the Patriots vs Falcons Super Bowl LI game on Fox from a few years back....

I have been doing the same thing sir, been watching some old NFL and NHL games and some vintage golf while my brother and I are quarantined.

I would never watch this much TV, but I am getting caught up on some old sports shows and Law and Order episodes. It’s all good and if we work together as a nation and watch over each other, we will all be fine.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been doing the same thing sir, been watching some old NFL and NHL games and some vintage golf while my brother and I are quarantined.

I would never watch this much TV, but I am getting caught up on some old sports shows and Law and Order episodes. It’s all good and if we work together as a nation and watch over each other, we will all be fine.

No doubt about it, sir....;)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I’m watching old sports classics too. Our local sports channel has been showing some really good Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Wondering what everyone is thinking about the NFL Draft so far?

Being a Detroit Lions fans, I don’t have faith in the draft. We have had more great picks the most any NFL team and still haven’t made it to the super bowl. Rebuilding since 1957.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I’m still stewing over the final 7 minutes of the Super Bowl. Seriously, how does that defense give up 21 that quickly? And, how does that offense not get at least one first down?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
RIP Don Shula, the Hall of Fame Coach of the only NFL team to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl. He was 90 years old.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2