NFL Discussion thread

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I saw that, but then again that player is paid higher for 1 year than he would have been if he had a multi year deal, but now that he blew out his knee, hes kinda screwed for next years free agency if the "Dabears"  dont step up. So it's a glass half full scenario I guess.

In Melton's case it’s true that he got a huge bump. His 2013 salary, based on the franchise tag is $8.45M. And if what I read on the blogs is correct, his 2012 salary was only $565K. Not sure if these are base salary numbers that have performance bonuses attached or not... clearly he won’t get any performance bonus bump this year with only 3 games played... in Melton's case, he made out like a bandit. He needs to invest it wisely now, though, because of the knee injury, he may not play next year... and when he does come back, he won’t command anywhere near $8M without proving himself.

I just happen to think that, overall, the franchise tag stinks. The Bears have (had) serious cap issues this past year, so perhaps they were waiting for a better time to re-up Henry... but doubt they will now.

They pulled the same thing last season with Forte. Forutunately (for him and us fans) he stayed relatively healthy, performed well and got rewarded for it. I guess you win some, and you lose some.