What else do you carry along with your iphone everyday?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I disagree with this. In the story that iBoxtaboy shared, he mentioned that the cop was an alcoholic - that's what probably led the cop to kill a man, not the fact that he was a cop and had certain "cop traits".

Because of the off-topicness of this thread, I'm moving it to the off-topic forum.

I respect your opinion and submit to you that, is it possible that alcohol personifies a person's personality and/or disposition? Or do you think alcohol has an opposite effect on one's personality and/or disposition? Or is alcohol simply a magic potion that supersedes any and all character traits and is solely responsible for making people do bad things?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I respect your opinion and submit to you that, is it possible that alcohol personifies a person's personality and/or disposition? Or do you think alcohol has an opposite effect on one's personality and/or disposition? Or is alcohol simply a magic potion that supersedes any and all character traits and is solely responsible for making people do bad things?

i dont believe that alcohol personifies anyone, nor is it soley responsible for making people do bad things. what i do believe is that it is a main ingredient in making people not necessarily do bad things, but things they wouldnt normally do. it lowers inhibitions, making people more "likely" to do things they normally wouldnt do. road rage is kind of a strange example in that one is not normally drunk when this happens. its just one of those things where you snap, and regardless of the person, or the situation, when it happens, it happens.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I thought of a long time ago while watching a movie, pertaining to the downside of a firearm, is the ease with which you can turn the world upside down. If you put aside the right and wrong arguements just think all it takes is that couple seconds of time and just a little pressure and you can take away someone's life. If you then look at the totality of it, the point of no return takes on such gravity. Imagine all the experiences that this person has had in the lets say 20 years of their life that has just been completely ended. There is no rewind, nothing can be done to reverse that breif moment of time. The value of human life has been so undervalued over time. It is just such a downside that it is so quick a process with such little thought in some cases. This is not a point of arguement because as I've said I understand the need and use sometimes, it is more like an observance. However even before there were guns humans were killing each other we just have a new method now.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
i dont believe that alcohol personifies anyone, nor is it soley responsible for making people do bad things. what i do believe is that it is a main ingredient in making people not necessarily do bad things, but things they wouldnt normally do. it lowers inhibitions, making people more "likely" to do things they normally wouldnt do. road rage is kind of a strange example in that one is not normally drunk when this happens. its just one of those things where you snap, and regardless of the person, or the situation, when it happens, it happens.

I think you make a great counterpoint. And I appreciate your logic in doing so. I like it.

The only thing I thought of a long time ago while watching a movie, pertaining to the downside of a firearm, is the ease with which you can turn the world upside down. If you put aside the right and wrong arguements just think all it takes is that couple seconds of time and just a little pressure and you can take away someone's life. If you then look at the totality of it, the point of no return takes on such gravity. Imagine all the experiences that this person has had in the lets say 20 years of their life that has just been completely ended. There is no rewind, nothing can be done to reverse that breif moment of time. The value of human life has been so undervalued over time. It is just such a downside that it is so quick a process with such little thought in some cases. This is not a point of arguement because as I've said I understand the need and use sometimes, it is more like an observance. However even before there were guns humans were killing each other we just have a new method now.

You also make a great point. And I couldn't agree more with what you say.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site

I totally agree with @cobra302's response to this. I firmly believe that people are responsible for their actions and blaming bad behavior on alcohol (movies, video games, music, etc...) really bothers me. I read a story once of a man who was suing a hotel because the bartender didn't make him stop drinking and he eventually fell down a flight of stairs - that irks me to no end.

Someone who is an alcoholic probably has a lower quality of life in general. They are likely depressed, stressed, and generally not happy... even when sober. Someone under these conditions is more likely to snap. This is what I meant when I said that the fact that the man was an alcoholic probably led him to make such a stupid decision.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone, my keys, wallet, lighter, pack of Camels, a pen (I'm a a student and a waiter, can never have too many pens) a few Dutchmasters, and a bag of alternate dutch fillings.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro