What else do you carry along with your iphone everyday?

NotCrazy

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
heh i always thought it was a bad stereotype that americans carry guns with them at all times. i just find it strange because i know no one who owns a gun and the only time i have seen one was at my friends uncles farm, and it was a small rifle he used to shoot feral cats.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Gun_Collection_2.jpg

not pictured: Hello Kitty purse and pepper spray

Where's the iPhone?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a cop either. But I do have a permit to carry concealed. People often forget that guns don't kill people, people kill people. If we didn't have guns, we'd find another way to kill man....probably baseball bats or something. What we gonna do then? Ban baseball? I can take your eye out with a kitchen fork. We gonna outlaw forks now?

A lot of the crimes committed with guns in my city are with people who obtained their gun illegally in the first place. I certainly don't want to live in a society where the government and criminals have all the guns and private citizens are left to fend for themselves with whatever.

Alli, you go girl!

I don't want to turn this is in to a gun control thread, but why do people blame the gun used in a crime, but in the case of a DUI, they blame the person and not the alcohol or the car?

1911luver

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
ctt1wbw makes a very valid point and to your point I say this sir. Your logic is spot on however alot of people don't see logic only emotion in times of tragedy,that coupled with being uninformed/misinformed about guns and you have the gun control debate. guns don't kill people people kill people,and they were doing it long before guns were invented.

When I worked as a bail enforcement agent I often worked along side cops and I can tell you first hand I've seen and heard some of the worst things that human beings are capable of. I think alot of people forget or just choose to go through life in denial acting and hoping nothing bad will every happen to them,but as we know from the evening news life doesn't work this way. Bottom line here is bad things happen to good people everyday for no reason. I've made a choice that if that day ever comes I'll defend my life and the most effective way of dealing with a violent attack is a firearm.

I personally know some people who consider anyone who carries a gun a "pussy" and they proudly boast "I don't need no gun I use my hands" well thats all well and good if your a professional boxer or navy seal. But lets face it 98% of the population is not in that kind of shape nor do they have the skills to fight 6 people hand to hand or disarm an attacker,this isn't the movies its real life. I've been in my share of fights and I've kicked ass and had my ass kicked as well,but I never pulled a gun for a fist fight. I've also walked away from alot more fight in my life.

I'll end this by saying I think there's a stereo type to American gun owners that not true,and thats we are not all toothless,uneducated morons who shoot each other over traffic accidents. In fact we are quite the opposite in that gun owners and concealed carry permit holders are among the most law abiding members of the population. I carry my gun for defensive purposes only not to intimidate of to compensate for anything,I'm a Proud American and I exercise my right lawfully and safely. No matter what your country of citizenship self defense is one the most basic human rights there is,as long as your alive you have the right to stay that way.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
ctt1wbw makes a very valid point and to your point I say this sir. Your logic is spot on however alot of people don't see logic only emotion in times of tragedy,that coupled with being uninformed/misinformed about guns and you have the gun control debate. guns don't kill people people kill people,and they were doing it long before guns were invented.

When I worked as a bail enforcement agent I often worked along side cops and I can tell you first hand I've seen and heard some of the worst things that human beings are capable of. I think alot of people forget or just choose to go through life in denial acting and hoping nothing bad will every happen to them,but as we know from the evening news life doesn't work this way. Bottom line here is bad things happen to good people everyday for no reason. I've made a choice that if that day ever comes I'll defend my life and the most effective way of dealing with a violent attack is a firearm.

I personally know some people who consider anyone who carries a gun a "pussy" and they proudly boast "I don't need no gun I use my hands" well thats all well and good if your a professional boxer or navy seal. But lets face it 98% of the population is not in that kind of shape nor do they have the skills to fight 6 people hand to hand or disarm an attacker,this isn't the movies its real life. I've been in my share of fights and I've kicked ass and had my ass kicked as well,but I never pulled a gun for a fist fight. I've also walked away from alot more fight in my life.

I'll end this by saying I think there's a stereo type to American gun owners that not true,and thats we are not all toothless,uneducated morons who shoot each other over traffic accidents. In fact we are quite the opposite in that gun owners and concealed carry permit holders are among the most law abiding members of the population. I carry my gun for defensive purposes only not to intimidate of to compensate for anything,I'm a Proud American and I exercise my right lawfully and safely. No matter what your country of citizenship self defense is one the most basic human rights there is,as long as your alive you have the right to stay that way.

You said it sir, and I don't even have a gun but understand and agree with what you are saying.

In my pocket house keys, car keys, change and my wallet I'm a simple kinda guy LOL in my backpack now that's a whole other story :D

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site

The part that scares me about guns is not the gun, but the people who carry them. I don't think they are "pussies" as you say, for carrying. I just think it's possible to get by in life without one. I agree with you that there might come a time when it can come in handy and save your life in a desperate situation, but I'd rather take my chances and not risk putting myself or others in danger by carrying because I simply cannot trust that I'll always make the right decision if I ever had to make that decision. Sometimes, when people are in a rage over something stupid, they might do something stupid. Perfect example- I met this retired NYC cop through a friend at a dinner once. He seemed perfectly normal to my wife and I, and told me that even though he was retired, he had to carry a gun for his own protection (I think he said the reason was that since he arrested a lot of people in his career, he needed to protect himself). He knew my friend, by the way, from Church/bible study. We all had a nice dinner and I never saw him again.

Well, not long after, I read a story in the news about how he went into a fit of road rage on strangely enough, another retired cop (which he didn't know at the time), while driving down a road. He was mad, apparently, because the guy was driving too slow. He followed this guy whose wife and dog was in the car too, to a strip mall where he then opened fire and killed the driver and also shot their dog. He's now in prison for virtually the rest of his life. Now there's obviously more to the story (he was an alcoholic too), but the one thing that stuck in my mind was that this was seemingly a nice guy, and if he didn't carry on that day, he probably would be a free man as well as not taking another life because he would've just instead cursed out loud at the guy a few times and then go home to blow off his steam with a few cases of beer. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel. If you don't have it, you can't use it, and you'll have to find another way to work around the situation. JMHO.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I respect everybody's opinion and do not wish to offend or force my beliefs on anybody. I can also sympathize and relate to the story iBoxtaboy shared with us. And I mean no disrespect to law enforcement. But there's a distinct difference in cops/ex-cops that carry and most, not all, law abiding citizens. A lot of cops, not all, have this cocky arrogant swagger about them. It's something they need to do their job effectively however it tends to spill over into their personal lives and it affects the people around them. That's probably what led that cop in iBoxter's story to kill a man and land himself in prison.

This just my opinion being a member of a lodge that has 100+ of Metro's finest and observing how they carry on off duty.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
The part that scares me about guns is not the gun, but the people who carry them. I don't think they are "pussies" as you say, for carrying. I just think it's possible to get by in life without one. I agree with you that there might come a time when it can come in handy and save your life in a desperate situation, but I'd rather take my chances and not risk putting myself or others in danger by carrying because I simply cannot trust that I'll always make the right decision if I ever had to make that decision. Sometimes, when people are in a rage over something stupid, they might do something stupid. Perfect example- I met this retired NYC cop through a friend at a dinner once. He seemed perfectly normal to my wife and I, and told me that even though he was retired, he had to carry a gun for his own protection (I think he said the reason was that since he arrested a lot of people in his career, he needed to protect himself). He knew my friend, by the way, from Church/bible study. We all had a nice dinner and I never saw him again.

Well, not long after, I read a story in the news about how he went into a fit of road rage on strangely enough, another retired cop (which he didn't know at the time), while driving down a road. He was mad, apparently, because the guy was driving too slow. He followed this guy whose wife and dog was in the car too, to a strip mall where he then opened fire and killed the driver and also shot their dog. He's now in prison for virtually the rest of his life. Now there's obviously more to the story (he was an alcoholic too), but the one thing that stuck in my mind was that this was seemingly a nice guy, and if he didn't carry on that day, he probably would be a free man as well as not taking another life because he would've just instead cursed out loud at the guy a few times and then go home to blow off his steam with a few cases of beer. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel. If you don't have it, you can't use it, and you'll have to find another way to work around the situation. JMHO.

i understand the point, but what if the person he killed had one as well, might this have turned out differently? anyone can break, cops, postal workers, bakery workers, anyone. this could have been the same story, but with a box cutter, or baseball bat.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I respect everybody's opinion and do not wish to offend or force my beliefs on anybody. I can also sympathize and relate to the story iBoxtaboy shared with us. And I mean no disrespect to law enforcement. But there's a distinct difference in cops/ex-cops that carry and most, not all, law abiding citizens. A lot of cops, not all, have this cocky arrogant swagger about them. It's something they need to do their job effectively however it tends to spill over into their personal lives and it affects the people around them. That's probably what led that cop in iBoxter's story to kill a man and land himself in prison.

This just my opinion being a member of a lodge that has 100+ of Metro's finest and observing how they carry on off duty.

I disagree with this. In the story that iBoxtaboy shared, he mentioned that the cop was an alcoholic - that's what probably led the cop to kill a man, not the fact that he was a cop and had certain "cop traits".

Because of the off-topicness of this thread, I'm moving it to the off-topic forum.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR