Anyone else out there upgrading tomorrow??
    10-21-2009 08:07 PM
    sure am I got the free upgrade so I think mine ships tomorrow
    10-21-2009 08:47 PM
    so i've never upgraded before...been running xp as long as I can remember.

when i upgrade does it reformat everything like it's a new install on the hdd? or just go over everything with the new windows? am i going to have to reinstall all my programs and settings?
    10-21-2009 09:12 PM
    You will have to reinstall everything. 7 can't upgrade from XP, only certain versions of Vista.

It's well worth it though. 7 is amazing.
    10-21-2009 10:08 PM
    I would think if you really wanted to upgrade you could upgrade to vista and then to 7 but that would depend how badly you wanna upgrade. I love it I've been running it on my MB Pro through fusion forever. I just bought two copies for my work and home machines 
    10-22-2009 11:02 PM
    My preorder will be here tomorrow. In any case just a clean install and start fresh I say.
    10-23-2009 12:30 AM
    i might give it a try and see if its worth it... but i still want a macbook pro
    10-24-2009 07:40 AM
    You will have to reinstall everything. 7 can't upgrade from XP, only certain versions of Vista.

It's well worth it though. 7 is amazing.
    I used PCMover Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant from Laplink and it worked quite well. So far, I haven't found any programs not functioning. It kept my settings, favorites, iTunes library, email (from Incredimail) all in tact.
    10-24-2009 11:48 AM
    I downloaded it yesterday for $30 and put it on my usb drive and installed from there. Total time until completion was about 3 hours. Windows 7 I am shocked and surprised to say is pretty good so far.
    10-24-2009 01:25 PM
    Windows 7 - it just works.
    10-24-2009 05:08 PM
    Alli,
    I have Vista home premium and wainting on my Windows 7 home addition. Will I have to re-install everything? i.e MSN, winscp, and other random programs
    10-25-2009 02:42 AM
    No, I didn't have to reinstall anything. I did the upgrade, but if your disc is the full version, you have the ability to do a clean install. Depending on how old your Vista installation is and how borked it might be, doing a clean install to Windows 7 will be a good idea. Then, yes, you will have to reinstall everything. Just backup your stuff first.
    10-25-2009 05:28 AM
    I have already put all docs, pics, music, etc on my ex HD. I just got the comp in June of this year so not that long ago, so I might just do the upgrade. If it goes crazy could go back and still do a clean install?
    10-25-2009 06:43 AM
    Just do the clean install right out the gate. If you have everything backed up why not? I know it's a pain to re-install all your apps but if you have all their info I say do it. Sometimes we use little progs and plugins for one time needs that are just taking up space and littering your registry why not do a clean sweep.
    10-25-2009 08:46 AM
    If you have Vista home anything, when you try to do an update, it will tell you that you have to do a clean install and cannot upgrade from the home version. (That makes life simple for you.)

As I've mentioned before though, it will still take all your old files and move them nicely to a new folder called WindowsOld unless you actually slick your hard drive first (which is the best idea).
    10-25-2009 10:14 AM
    Really? I upgraded from Vista Home Basic to Windows 7 Home Premium. That was not a clean install.
    10-25-2009 10:31 AM
    Interesting. Maybe it will let you do a home to home update. I went from home to ultimate.
    10-25-2009 11:47 AM
    I upgraded my wife's from Vista Home to 7 Home without a glitch. And, as I stated earlier, I used PCMover Assistant to upgrade my XP machine to 7 Enterprise without having to reinstall my apps. So far, only three days, all is working well on both machines.
    10-25-2009 12:29 PM
    7 really surprised me how much i like it. never ugraded to vista (i heard to many horror stories) about time MS has done something worthy of how much $$ they have.
    10-26-2009 03:05 PM
    I downloaded it yesterday for $30 and put it on my usb drive and installed from there. Total time until completion was about 3 hours. Windows 7 I am shocked and surprised to say is pretty good so far.
    Where'd you get it for $30? I need to get another copy for my netbook. So I see that Apple has already got ads making fun of Win7 that was fast LOL
    10-26-2009 04:02 PM
    If you have a university email, you can get Win7 from Digital River... for $30. (I forget the exact url for getting to the educational software.)
    Last edited by Alli; 10-26-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    10-26-2009 04:56 PM
    Thanks Alli, I have a friend who is a Prof at a university so I can get him to grab it for me.
    10-27-2009 11:44 AM
    I'm really digging Windows 7. I only got the Home Premium as I have no need for domain or XP Mode at home. I did a clean install since I was going from XP and it took all of about 40 minutes or so to install off a USB drive ( which was a pain in the arse to get working from XP...grr ).

But it's all up and running, most of my apps are installed ( just need to install Visual Studio 2008 still ) and then I'll be back where I was, with a more responsive computer
    10-27-2009 12:16 PM
    I was in Mac OS and opened ZDnet article about Windows 7 in Safari and as soon as it loaded Safari quit unexpectedly Is Apple monitoring my surfing habits? is it a built in Mac preservation mode? LOL obviously not but it was so ironic you have to admit.

I think it was a really good idea to start out suggesting that users do a fresh installation this time. I think that was also one of the things they did wrong last time was to allow users to think that upgrading would be a seamless effort. So people who had shaky XP installations that weren't exhibiting signs made Vista even worst. I'm loving the feedback and I fully agree because it has been nothing but rock solid since I've been running it. Then again so was Vista for me
    10-27-2009 01:37 PM
    I love Win7 compared with XP, but still OS X seems better for me
    10-29-2009 12:26 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD