little things you love...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Mavericks text to speech... there are some more voice options you can download... The American English 'Samantha' sounds a lot like Siri on the iOS... and there's Australian 'Karen"... another good one. :)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I'm happy with my one Rolex.

Since they changed their stainless to no longer be hypoallergenic surgical steel, I won't probably ever buy one. Platinum is nice but would get destroyed. I can't wear gold anything, it makes my skin literally boil, so stainless was the only option, and since they changed their metallurgy, no Rolly for me.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Since they changed their stainless to no longer be hypoallergenic surgical steel, I won't probably ever buy one. Platinum is nice but would get destroyed. I can't wear gold anything, it makes my skin literally boil, so stainless was the only option, and since they changed their metallurgy, no Rolly for me.

Hmm, I had no idea. I love mine.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's my beloved Rolex. It's been appraised at about 5k.

nice whitegold datejust!

In the late 90s they changed their steel blend to no longer be surgical, raising the nickel percentage significantly. Anyone with a nickel allergy can pretty much not wear that or their white gold. I can't wear nickel OR gold, so IF I wanted a rolex, I'd have to get platinum or a vintage stainless option.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
nice whitegold datejust!

In the late 90s they changed their steel blend to no longer be surgical, raising the nickel percentage significantly. Anyone with a nickel allergy can pretty much not wear that or their white gold. I can't wear nickel OR gold, so IF I wanted a rolex, I'd have to get platinum or a vintage stainless option.

Didn't know that either. I got my Submariner in the 80's, and i remember my wife telling me something about surgical steel, but i didn't pay too much attention at the time, i was just so happy to receive it from her. I guess that i just thought that Rolex still made them that way.:)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh so nice. But what's a Jarhead doing with a Squid watch? LOL

Here's the story. After four daughters, my wife presented me with a son in Nov.1985. For Christmas that year, i bought her a diamond heart necklace, and she got me the Rolex. She said that it looked like the one that James Bond had in the movies. I'll never sell it, no matter what it's worth. I will leave it to my son, when my number is up.:)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Didn't know that either. I got my Submariner in the 80's, and i remember my wife telling me something about surgical steel, but i didn't pay too much attention at the time, i was just so happy to receive it from her. I guess that i just thought that Rolex still made them that way.:)
Yea I was not pleased with that change. There is a huge difference in the surgical vs just the stainless blend they use, a significant nickel content change.

Here's the story. After four daughters, my wife presented me with a son in Nov.1985. For Christmas that year, i bought her a diamond heart necklace, and she got me the Rolex. She said that it looked like the one that James Bond had in the movies. I'll never sell it, no matter what it's worth. I will leave it to my son, when my number is up.:)
Aww that's neat!