Off to Vail in about a week, good snow apps?

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Went to one of my favorite local shops today to check out the end of season sale. Ended up buying another new board and bindings. Total retail price? $500+ Amount paid? $181. Loving it. Top of the line bindings and board for the list price of just the bindings.

For beginners and less committed riders, this is the time to buy for next year. This years products at deep discounts.

Get those squats going so you can power through sloppy jump landings! haha

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I absolutely meant leaving the ground! haha Though I doubt you will be doing too much of that (on purpose anyway!) your first week.

I got my exercise today, Hiked all the way up Hunter Mountain (the mountain is closed this week) to really earn my ride back down. Had a great time, and got some good park runs in after the full run.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Not yet. Leave tomorrow night from MIA to DEN. Should get in around 8p local time and hopefully get bags and car by 8.45p. Last time I went in October it was about 2 hours, but it's supposed snowing as I'm driving (10 Day Weather Forecast for Vail, CO - weather.com). I have never driven in the snow (big shock living in Miami, I know), but I did get some tips (shoveling and scraping windows :() from my friend on my January visit to Chicago.

Looks like I'm going at a perfect time though, snow Wednesday through Saturday. Still seems crazy to me though that it's 91F (94F feels) right now and tomorrow night it will in the low 20s.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, if it is indeed snowing when you get in, I recommend staying somewhere in Denver that first night and getting up early when there's light to drive to Vail. Driving on 70 while its snowing at night is terrible and SLOW and dangerous (especially without the experience).

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I'm a lifelong upstate NY resident with a Subaru who loves driving in the snow, but for someone who hasn't done it before definitely be careful. And even if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle at your disposal remember that 4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop. Take it slow. Get hurt having fun on the slopes, not driving from the airport! haha

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, we should be getting an AWD rental. I'm a really awesome driver and drove an AWD eclipse from like 18 to 25 so I know about the stopping thing, but thats why I would always downshift along with breaking which I won't be able to do with an automatic SUV rental.

Thanks for the warnings though, I will be extra careful.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, we should be getting an AWD rental. I'm a really awesome driver and drove an AWD eclipse from like 18 to 25 so I know about the stopping thing, but thats why I would always downshift along with breaking which I won't be able to do with an automatic SUV rental.

Thanks for the warnings though, I will be extra careful.

you can down shift with an automatic. use d3 and d2. very handy on the downhill grades.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
you can down shift with an automatic. use d3 and d2. very handy on the downhill grades.

Yeah, kind of, but it's not the same as stick shift :)
I love stick shift except when I'm in traffic!

I actually did D2 / D3 on my last trip to vail in October in a 2 wheel drive little SUV. Instead of riding the brake I just put it into the lower gears, worked great!

Thanks for the reminder!

On another note I just saw this on weather.com

weather.com said:
Issued by The National Weather Service
Grand Junction, CO
8:11 am MDT, Wed., Apr. 15, 2009

... WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM MDT FRIDAY...

THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM MDT FRIDAY.

SNOWFALL WILL WILL INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON AND STRONG SOUTH WINDS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. SNOWFALL WILL INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON AS A COLD FRONT MOVES THROUGH THE AREA. WINDS WILL SHIFT TO THE NORTHWEST AND GRADUALLY DECREASE TONIGHT. COLDER AIR BEHIND THE FRONT WILL LOWER THE SNOW LEVEL TO BELOW 7000 FEET BY ABOUT MIDNIGHT. EXPECT TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 16 INCHES BY EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, kind of, but it's not the same as stick shift :)
I love stick shift except when I'm in traffic!

I actually did D2 / D3 on my last trip to vail in October in a 2 wheel drive little SUV. Instead of riding the brake I just put it into the lower gears, worked great!

Thanks for the reminder!

On another note I just saw this on weather.com

That's for Grand Junction, you won't be going anywhere significantly close to there. It does look like Vail is going to be getting a decent amount of snow tonight though. If you drive tonight you'll probably run into some thunderstorms at first, and then snow. Personally, I'd still wait til daylight to drive just cuz traffic is gonna be hella slow and you'll get more sleep if you get up early. But that's me ;)

I took a glance at the mountains a little bit ago thinking of you, there's definitely some ugly clouds over them! But they're also very beautifully snow capped!

Oh, and I love driving stick too. I have yet to own an automatic.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, that alert came up under the vail forecast so I expect it will get some of that weather. This will probably be my last post until tomorrow. Hopefully the 2 hour time change won't bug me while driving. Just realized that when I'm driving into vail around 11pm/midnight it will really be like 2am for me :eek:

Thanks again for all the tips everyone! I joined these forums thinking I would just learn about iPhone stuff, but good to see a great diverse community has formed in addition to the iPhone knowledge.

Oh, and I love driving stick too. I have yet to own an automatic.

Me either, good to see a woman who isn't a fan of the automatic!

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Hope your drive is safe!

iPhone users must just not be automatic people, I have never owned an auto either.

I am a manual fan as well. Unfortunately, I haven't had a care with one recently. Trucks and SUV's are a little awkward with manual shift.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
This is so awesome! First day of lessons we stayed on the bunny slope, but today we headed out to the greens. At first I thought vail's idea of greens was different than mine, but by the end of the day I was flying down the same greens I was a bit scared of going down the first time. The snow did soften up when we went back to the same slopes after lunch which made it a bit slower.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Glad you're having fun! Hey how long are you staying here? If you're leaving today or tomorrow, you might wanna check your flight before heading to the airport. I know some have already been canceled. We're supposed to have up to 20 inches of snow by noon tomorrow.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh