Off to Vail in about a week, good snow apps?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Found a last min flight for cheap to Denver and decided to go to Vail to go skiing for the first time. Not that I really need a snow app, just though it would be cool to try out now and during my trip.

What's the app that is on the commercial?

Any other good ones?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
When are you coming? We just got a lot of snow, so the slopes should be nice. I can't believe you're going to Vail for your first time skiing, lol. There's a lot of other resorts that are much cheaper and closer and would fit your skill level :)

I don't really know of any snow apps... lol, sorry.

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Colorado Snow Report and The North Face Snow Report are pretty cool, but iTrailMap is the one on the commercial I'm pretty sure you are referring to. There's a 3D version for $4.99 and a regular version for free.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I can't believe you're going to Vail for your first time skiing, lol. There's a lot of other resorts that are much cheaper and closer and would fit your skill level :)

Well I went to Vail for the first time in October last year for a wedding. I really loved it there and wanted to go back to play in the snow. :) This was the same trip I visited the Denver Cherry Creek Apple store.

This trip started by finding a American flight from Miami to Denver for $199 (total with tax). Then got a great deal on the hotel. They were booked for one of the days we needed because of a convention so they gave us one of their one bedroom condos for the whole stay (kitchen, washer/dryer, fireplace, parking spot) and at the same, already discounted, room rate of like $180 or something a night! There is a lot of deals becuase of it being the last week of the season. Also, they have some free concerts...Chris Isaak anyone? :)

I'm flying out on the 15th. I know the mountains just got a ton of snow last night, and I think more is expected before I get there so this should be a great end of season trip. The only thing now is trying to find clothes to wear. I have jackets and stuff, just need to find some pants. There are a lot of deals for end of season at places in Miami, but also slim pickings.

Colorado Snow Report and The North Face Snow Report are pretty cool, but iTrailMap is the one on the commercial I'm pretty sure you are referring to. There's a 3D version for $4.99 and a regular version for free.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I went to Vail the past two years snowboarding. Very nice. Be prepared to spend a lot of $$$. ;)

I went this past Christmas. My friend goes to school up there and his brother and his friends have passes to Vail and Breck. We boarded for 4 days straight and only paid for parking : )

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I went to Vail the past two years snowboarding. Very nice. Be prepared to spend a lot of $$$. ;)

I will only have 4 days there, you think I should try to do both ski and board or just pick one? I am actually more interested in boarding, but figured I've never been snow skiing and should give it a try.

Living in Miami I have a decent amount of hours water skiing, but I understand it's two completely different things.

So what would you recommend? Ski, Board, Both?

Last edited:

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Just snowboard! It's much cooler :) Haha, I don't know. I've never been skiing (on water or snow) and only been snowboarding twice. But I wakeboard and used to skateboard, so the idea of skis just freaks me out.

Sounds like you got a great deal! Have fun!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I've never been skiing (on water or snow) and only been snowboarding twice. But I wakeboard and used to skateboard, so the idea of skis just freaks me out.
Using this logic I'm thinking I should go with skiing as it should be at least a bit more familiar feeling.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Using this logic I'm thinking I should go with skiing as it should be at least a bit more familiar feeling.

If you are going to try snowboarding, please please please wear wrist guards. I used to teach snowboarding at Okemo mountain, and I saw way to many broken wrists...

If you can afford it, I would take a lesson!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
If you are going to try snowboarding, please please please wear wrist guards. I used to teach snowboarding at Okemo mountain, and I saw way to many broken wrists...

I just read that about the wrist on a few websites I found on google. I guess those won't be included with the rental and I would have to buy them separate.

If you can afford it, I would take a lesson!

Yeah, the regular group lessons were pretty expensive, but they have a first timers package which is actually really decent. Vail:

For $340 you get:
Full-day lesson + beginner lift + ski or board rental
Meeting Times: 9:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
For 3 days

So I think I'm just going to go with that. The only downside to this package is you don't get a real lift ticket, but as long as you are with the class they will take you to other lifts, just if you are on your own it's only good for a small base of the mountain lift.

Right now I'm leaning towards just going this $340 route and if I really love it and am not in a lot of pain for more exercise than I've had in years or from several face-meet-snow falls...I'll just buy a one day real pass on the last day.

I'm still debating on whether to just go with skiing or trying both? I'm thinking it might be good to try both and not get decent at either, but get a feel for what I like more and then next season just go with that one.

So many things to figure out, so little time!!! I haven't even found ski pants yet! :eek: There is slim pickings left, although I'm not that surprised since it's the end of the season and the I live in Miami.

Oh, another question, goggles vs sunglasses? My friend that snowboards said for spring skiing the goggles will really fog up and aren't really needed and sunglasses will work better.

Any other tips you can give a first timer?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Don't try both... it will just confuse you. Honestly skiing is easier to pick up for a beginner. In my opinion.

And I'm a goggle guy...

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Don't try both... it will just confuse you. Honestly skiing is easier to pick up for a beginner. In my opinion.

Thanks for the decisive answer, think I'll go with skiing.

With the lesson package I described above it's 3 days of ski or 3 days of board, not both. I was already leaning slightly towards skiing just b/c I have never wake boarded before, but have water skied (even though I understand it's 2 diff. things). Plus, the g/f wants to do skiing...so :rolleyes:

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Plus, the g/f wants to do skiing...so :rolleyes:

Well that changes everything!! Of course you have to ski then! :D

I went snowboarding a couple weeks ago and it was sunny out. My goggles did not fog up. I've known people who's sunglasses broke when they fell. So you might just wanna stick with goggles.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Go with goggles.

Also, don't be to upset about not having an actual ski pass because like you said, you will still get on the lifts. If it is your first time then the bunny slopes are going to be more than exciting enough for you... Trust me!

Have you thought about getting/renting a helmet? Might be a good idea.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Go with goggles.

Also, don't be to upset about not having an actual ski pass because like you said, you will still get on the lifts. If it is your first time then the bunny slopes are going to be more than exciting enough for you... Trust me!

Have you thought about getting/renting a helmet? Might be a good idea.

Yeah, the bunny slope looks very "bunny" on the map, but might be different in person. Plus that's only if I go on my own, but with the instructor we will go all the way to the top.

Haven't thought about a helmet, but hopefully since I'm doing the lesson package they will help me get what I need. Wish I knew what I was doing before jumping in, but I guess you got to start somewhere.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the bunny slope looks very "bunny" on the map, but might be different in person. Plus that's only if I go on my own, but with the instructor we will go all the way to the top.

Haven't thought about a helmet, but hopefully since I'm doing the lesson package they will help me get what I need. Wish I knew what I was doing before jumping in, but I guess you got to start somewhere.

You will have a blast! Have you been working out?! You should do some running and some leg work outs before you go. You are gonna have sore muscles in places you did not even knew existed!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
You will have a blast! Have you been working out?! You should do some running and some leg work outs before you go. You are gonna have sore muscles in places you did not even knew existed!

Funny thing is I noticed I was starting to put on some weight and have been eating healthier the last 3 weeks, started jogging again, and doing some bench press and back exercises. I did all of this before I knew that I would get this great deal to go to Vail.

I've only run 4 days so far (1/2 mile each day), but the last day felt good. I wasn't super tired after and could have done more probably, but didn't want to push it since it's so ******* hot down here in Miami. It got up to 91 today with a feels like of 95.

So yeah, I will be using the next 10 days to train hard. :) Hopefully training in the heat down here will balance out the less O2 up in the mountains.

I'm going out in a bit to look for some goggles now since being a beginner I have an even greater chance of busting them and my eyeballs!

Thanks again for all the advice from everyone...we got a great community of people here, even without the iPhone bond. I'll be watching this thread so if you have any other tips, please don't hold back!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Funny thing is I noticed I was starting to put on some weight and have been eating healthier the last 3 weeks, started jogging again, and doing some bench press and back exercises. I did all of this before I knew that I would get this great deal to go to Vail.

I've only run 4 days so far (1/2 mile each day), but the last day felt good. I wasn't super tired after and could have done more probably, but didn't want to push it since it's so ******* hot down here in Miami. It got up to 91 today with a feels like of 95.

So yeah, I will be using the next 10 days to train hard. :) Hopefully training in the heat down here will balance out the less O2 up in the mountains.

I'm going out in a bit to look for some goggles now since being a beginner I have an even greater chance of busting them and my eyeballs!

Thanks again for all the advice from everyone...we got a great community of people here, even without the iPhone bond. I'll be watching this thread so if you have any other tips, please don't hold back!

All I can tell you is don't be cheap when it comes to gear. Especially pants and gloves or mittens. I prefer mittens as they provide me with a less of a chance of jamming a finger. But I snowboard so if you are going to ski go with gloves. You want to be prepared when you are out there.

And in Vail find the local grocery store and buy Gatorade there... unless you want to pay $6 for a small Gatorade while you are on the mountain. :)