DXOMark has released its iPhone 11 Pro Max camera review, giving the device a score of 117 overall.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    11-07-2019 10:30 AM
    Interesting because every where I look and read ranks the 11 Pro Max #1. Who is this DXOMark and what makes their findings better than the next?
    Annie_8plus and taz323 like this.
    11-07-2019 10:34 AM
    Interesting because every where I look and read ranks the 11 Pro Max #1. Who is this DXOMark and what makes their findings better than the next?
    DxOMark is generally considered to be pretty much the top authority/reviewer of cameras, including by review sites themselves. Their camera tests are extremely thorough in my experience (much more than review sites), with hundreds of photos being taken by cameras/mobiles they test and comprehensively analysed in dozens of different situations by qualified technicians/photography experts using advanced equipment.

They have faced accusations of bias in the past, but those have been by aggressive fanboys from both sides with no proof. Personally I doubt they are biased...no single manufacturer or company has topped the rankings for a dubiously long amount of time and the ones that were at the top (in my opinion) more or less always deserved it (e.g the iPhone XS had brilliant noise control and all-round performance, hence why it beat the S9+ which was slightly better low light but had slightly more noise and less detail).

Spec-wise the 11 Pro is outmuscled by the Mate 30 Pro and CC9 Pro/Mi Note 10...and neither Huawei or Xiaomi are known to skimp on processing and camera performance so it could be a surprising win for Huawei and Xiaomi. I didn’t expect that result either, but as I’ve said before, DxOmark’s tests are unparalleled and highly regarded by reviewers and consumers alike.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Golurk; 11-08-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    11-08-2019 01:46 PM
    DXOMark has released its iPhone 11 Pro Max camera review, giving the device a score of 117 overall.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    They used to sell an external camera that connected to the iPhone. It wasn’t very good.

Thier scores usually have no bearings in reality, especially when you compare images or video from their highest scoring android phones with iPhones.

They also used to score android phones that weren’t capable of 4K @ 60 fps higher than iPhones that could. Resolution and framerates seem to be an unimportant criteria according to their point system.

Reviews and comparisons make it pretty clear which phone has a better camera.

Spencerdl likes this.
    11-09-2019 03:03 PM
    They used to sell an external camera that connected to the iPhone. It wasn’t very good.

Thier scores usually have no bearings in reality, especially when you compare images or video from their highest scoring android phones with iPhones.

They also used to score android phones that weren’t capable of 4K @ 60 fps higher than iPhones that could. Resolution and framerates seem to be an unimportant criteria according to their point system.

Reviews and comparisons make it pretty clear which phone has a better camera.

Thanks for this information @FFR and once again, who is this DXOMark and what makes findings/opinions better than the next?
    11-09-2019 05:09 PM
    Thanks for this information @FFR and once again
    They are a business, they charge phone manufactures, camera module fabricators and image sensor and isp chip designers a consulting fee to get high scores, that does not include dxo marks proprietary software which is required, that is a supplemental charge payable to dxo mark.

They claim to be independent but they were spun off from dxo labs after artificially lowering iPhone scores to help sell their lightning connected camera attachment. They never made a dxo two .

Here is a blurb about them becoming an “independent” or private company where they do not have to disclose who they are doing business with.

“We’ve had an important internal change as well: In September, DxOMark Image Labs was spun off from DxO Labs. DxOMark Image Labs is now a privately-owned, independent company. As such, we continue to pursue the development and commercialization of image quality solutions and services that support our customers in designing the best-quality camera systems for a range of markets, including smartphones, DSC/DSLRs, drones, action cams, surveillance, and automotive.”

https://m.dpreview.com/news/37767322...-owned-company

what makes findings/opinions better than the next?
    That’s the thing they aren’t.

They do not test the iPhone with the camera app or the heif/hevc format which is what the majority of consumers use. They don’t seem to care that the iPhone 11 was the only smartphone with all cameras color calibrated and could capture 4K @60 fps. Including the selfie camera. They don’t even mention the superior audio recording capabilities compared to the competition.

It’s not much of a secret.

“But there’s also another reason to take the scores with a grain of salt: the fact that DxOMark works with manufacturers (for a fee) to design cameras that score highly on DxOMark’s tests.

“DxO Labs is a consulting company as well as a testing company,” Brownlee says. “For a fee, they will work with smartphone manufacturers before their phone comes out to create a better camera.””

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/13/tru...amera-ratings/
    Spencerdl likes this.
    11-09-2019 06:18 PM
    11-09-2019 06:30 PM
    Oof my post just got ignored lol.

They did wait for Apple’s deep fusion to be released before reviewing the 11 Pro, while they don’t always wait for final software to be released with other devices. It is important to realised that just because you don’t agree with something (in this case the 11 Pro isn’t at the top) doesn’t mean the test is unfair/biased/invalid.
    11-10-2019 04:04 AM