Trump calls out Cook on Twitter over the lack of Home button on the iPhone

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We have people in this forum and others who have pitched a fit about the removal of Touch ID/
home button and some of them are still angry about it. Some have opted to hold on to their older iPhones because they prefer the home button over the newer models that have Face ID.

So with the President directly telling Mr. Cook in a tweet that he basically prefers the home button, it’s considered calling him out. SMH

Unbelievable.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
We have people in this forum and others who have pitched a fit about the removal of Touch ID/
home button and some of them are still angry about it. Some have opted to hold on to their older iPhones because they prefer the home button over the newer models that have Face ID.

So with the President directly telling Mr. Cook in a tweet that he basically prefers the home button, it’s considered calling him out. SMH

Unbelievable.

Normally I would agree with you but Trump is the President. A Twitter rant from him is completely different than a rant from someone who isn’t a public figure with millions of followers. Call it a double standard, but it’s true nonetheless.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Normally I would agree with you but Trump is the President. A Twitter rant from him is completely different than a rant from someone who isn’t a public figure with millions of followers. Call it a double standard, but it’s true nonetheless.

From what I gather from the article, the President posted a single tweet. That short, one sentence tweet is not a rant, in my opinion. A President, regardless of who it is, is able to express an opinion, especially one that has been expressed by many people across the internet.

To me, this is additional and purposeful exploiting of an opinion by a President that is unpopular in certain sectors of our society. In other words, it’s being petty.

b7f2c65a55e0fa612e1b7fbc3f97f8df.jpg

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I gather from the article, the President posted a single tweet. That short, one sentence tweet is not a rant, in my opinion. A President, regardless of who it is, is able to express an opinion, especially one that has been expressed by many people across the internet.

To me, this is additional and purposeful exploiting of an opinion by a President that is unpopular in certain sectors of our society. In other words, it’s being petty.

We can debate what a rant is or isn’t but my point stands. Trump is an invalid who can’t keep his mouth shut, whether it be physically or metaphorically. I have zero sympathy for any response he gets from his endless supply of off-handed tweets.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We can debate what a rant is or isn’t but my point stands. Trump is an invalid who can’t keep his mouth shut, whether it be physically or metaphorically. I have zero sympathy for any response he gets from his endless supply of off-handed tweets.

Understood.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’m not one to get political. That said, specifically speaking about this one singular Tweet, the issue to me is timing. Like why now in late 2019 is Trump voicing this opinion? Sure, he has the right to say it and honestly I could care less about him being POTUS. Again, would love to know the context though just out of pure curiosity. Like did his iPhone 8 break and they replaced it with an 11? Anyways, I just find the timing interesting that’s all.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
IMHO, the issue here is what some of the iMore writers think is a good news article.

How is a one sentence tweet, regardless of who the tweet is from, considered a “rant” or “calling someone out”?

Come on, iMore writers. I’d like to think you are all better than this.

Has it been that slow of a news week?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, the issue here is what some of the iMore writers think is a good news article.

How is a one sentence tweet, regardless of who the tweet is from, considered a “rant” or “calling someone out”?

Come on, iMore writers. I’d like to think you are all better than this.

Has it been that slow of a news week?

If the quality of the articles on iMore these days is any indication then it’s ALWAYS a slow news week.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

Political opinions aside, I do agree with Just_Me_D. Seems like iMore is being a bit petty or has just run out of actual news or sponsored products to post new threads about. That said, would anyone expect a headline like this if (theoretically) Hilary Clinton was President and tweeted that?

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Political opinions aside, I do agree with Just_Me_D. Seems like iMore is being a bit petty or has just run out of actual news or sponsored products to post new threads about. That said, would anyone expect a headline like this if (theoretically) Hilary Clinton was President and tweeted that?

Being that iMore is not the only site that was discussing this topic, how are they being petty. What they don't ever have any of these topics at AC.
And being that he was talking about an Apple product, why won't they talk about it.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Being that iMore is not the only site that was discussing this topic, how are they being petty. What they don't ever have any of these topics at AC.
And being that he was talking about an Apple product, why won't they talk about it.

I think the raised eyebrows are more due to the headline itself, specifically the words ‘calls out’, than this being a ‘news’ (not really) article appearing on iMore (most have come to terms with these kind of adverts and articles appearing on iMore long ago). Voicing an opinion that the home button was better isn’t the same as calling out (def: to criticize someone about something they have said or done and challenge them to explain it). In this case Trump criticised Cook, but didn’t challenge him to explain the removal. A more appropriate headline would have been “Trump criticises Cook for home button’s removal”.

You could say we’re being pedantic here, but nowadays quality journalism is essential and words mean a lot.

We don’t have these topics on AC...because for one there is more to talk about (more threads) and politics tends to create unnecessary tension and arguments. We also don’t have all of these posts advertising discounts on various semi-irrelevant products that we have here (e.g all of those ones along the lines of “30% off Anker Lightning cables etc”). Whether having political threads at the cost of spammy adverts in the form of threads is worth it is up to the guys in charge of AC...my opinion is it isn’t worth it.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I think the raised eyebrows are more due to the headline itself, specifically the words ‘calls out’, than this being a ‘news’ (not really) article appearing on iMore (most have come to terms with these kind of adverts and articles appearing on iMore long ago). Voicing an opinion that the home button was better isn’t the same as calling out (def: to criticize someone about something they have said or done and challenge them to explain it). In this case Trump criticised Cook, but didn’t challenge him to explain the removal. A more appropriate headline would have been “Trump criticises Cook for home button’s removal”.

You could say we’re being pedantic here, but nowadays quality journalism is essential and words mean a lot.

We don’t have these topics on AC...because for one there is more to talk about (more threads) and politics tends to create unnecessary tension and arguments. We also don’t have all of these posts advertising discounts on various semi-irrelevant products that we have here (e.g all of those ones along the lines of “30% off Anker Lightning cables etc”). Whether having political threads at the cost of spammy adverts in the form of threads is worth it is up to the guys in charge of AC...my opinion is it isn’t worth it.

You’re really arguing there’s a difference between AC, iMore and the other MONA sites? We’re arguing tallest midget at this point if that’s case...

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
You’re really arguing there’s a difference between AC, iMore and the other MONA sites? We’re arguing tallest midget at this point if that’s case...

I’m not arguing that there is a large difference...just a comment in response to taz323 as to a possible reason why AC doesn’t have these sort of threads.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I’m not arguing that there is a large difference...just a comment in response to taz323 as to a possible reason why AC doesn’t have these sort of threads.

Hence my tallest midget comment. Remember, I forget to use sarcasm emojis or symbols.....LMAO

;-D hopefully this helps

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73