We have incredibly powerful smartphones with amazing cameras in our pockets. Is it still worth buying a standalone digital camera these days?

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    10-24-2019 02:22 PM
    In my opinion? Yes. My iPhone 11 Pro Max camera takes excellent photos, but I still tend to reach for my DSLR camera when I want to take photos of moments I consider very special. Weddings, graduation, etcetera.

I’m no way am I saying that smartphone camera aren’t capable because they are, but I still prefer my DSLR camera for certain occasions.
    10-24-2019 09:29 PM
    Um, I wouldn’t have got this with a smartphone:

10-25-2019 01:39 AM
    Smartphone cameras are amazing, but still have limitations. The market for standalone cameras will shrink but in terms of raw photography power they are still far ahead.

For example, the iPhone 11 Pro/Samsung S10 etc have 2x optical zoom. The P30 Pro has 5x optical zoom. However, my standalone camera that’s a couple years old has 14x optical zoom.

That’s still a big gap.

Not to mention that standalone cameras have the space to use bigger sensors that can capture more light/detail etc
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-26-2019 04:20 AM
    Still worth it but iPhone cameras have become the most popular cameras in the world for a reason. My entry-level, decade-old Nikon D40 still takes better photos than my iPhone 11 Pro Max. That said, I use my phone camera daily and my D40 sits in a case and only comes out a couple times a year. Why? Because my phone takes really good photos and it’s already sitting on my pocket wherever I go. The photo quality combined with convenience is what makes my iPhone my go-to camera but, just as @Just_Me_D said, there are those occasions where it’s worth the inconvenience of bringing out the DSLR.
    TgeekB and wenrob like this.
    10-26-2019 07:12 AM
    In my opinion you can’t replace a true camera. Having an amazing mobile phone camera is great because clearly most people don’t have their personal camera on them at all times, nevertheless to me there is no replacement for the true photography experience with a camera and multiple lenses, etc.
    10-28-2019 06:46 AM
    A Kodak box brownie properly used takes better snaps than a phone camera !
    10-28-2019 08:59 AM
    My answer to the original question is NO. For me as much as I remove my DSLR from it's camera bag it wouldn't be worth purchasing a "real" camera this day and age of smartphone cameras. Sure, DLSR cameras are better, but I'm just a Hobbyist (generously speaking), if I was a professional that would be a different story.
    My iPhone 11 Pro Max camera does the job and does it well.
    MSUlover likes this.
    10-28-2019 09:46 AM
    I think they're worth having if you're really into photography and will spend a lot of time using it. I love photography, and I occasionally take a really good photo with my iPhone. Yet, I have never had the serious desire to spend the money on a DSLR with all the lenses. I am quite content with the iPhone cameras. They continue to get better and better and are so much more convenient! In all truth, I covet the iPhone 11 Pro Max more than a DLSR, but that's just me. And that's my point. It's really up to the individual.
    10-28-2019 09:58 AM
    For the vast majority of people smartphone cameras (which these days on flagships have a wide, ultra-wide, telephoto and sometimes a depth/TOF sensor with OIS on the main and telephoto) are good enough. For the photography expert/photographer, a standalone camera is probably still worth it...especially with videos.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    10-28-2019 11:16 AM