Users take to Apple's website to complain of early scratching on iPhone 11

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Following the launch of the iPhone 11, a discussion thread over on Apple Support is gaining significant traction over claims that the iPhone 11's screen seems to be particularly prone to scratching.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. What a pity. It’s Apple’s fault that they’ve scratched the display of their new iPhone. SMH!

There are cases and screen protectors to purchase for the sole purpose of protecting the iPhone from sustaining minor scratches and damages.

I suppose I should blame BMW for not making my car immune to bugs and debris.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. What a pity. It’s Apple’s fault that they’ve scratched the display of their new iPhone. SMH!

There are cases and screen protectors to purchase for the sole purpose of protecting the iPhone from sustaining minor scratches and damages.

I suppose I should blame BMW for not making my car immune to bugs and debris.

EXACTLY this. Seriously people, it's not Apple's fault for the mistreatment of YOUR iPhone unless when you opened the box it had these flaws.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
EXACTLY this. Seriously people, it's not Apple's fault for the mistreatment of YOUR iPhone unless when you opened the box it had these flaws.

I get that their upset about sustaining g scratched to their shiny new iPhone, but to blame Apple for it is straight up ridiculous. How many times must people be reminded that glass is “glass”. It can be scratched, cracked and broken, but it’s up to the owner for keeping those things from happening. If my windshield can get cracked from flying debris then an iPhone display can get scratched from putting it in contact with items that can cause scratches.

It’s not rocket science, people. Yet, we read about these complaints every year. [sigh]

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
While I agree people should take responsibility and probably use a screen protector, let’s not immediately (as usual) attack these users just to back Apple at every turn. Let’s get facts first.
Are the screens more susceptible to scratches based on what the iMore article says? Could it be a screen manufacturing fault?
Give it some time and I’m sure we’ll know the truth.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While I agree people should take responsibility and probably use a screen protector, let’s not immediately (as usual) attack these users just to back Apple at every turn. Let’s get facts first.
Are the screens more susceptible to scratches based on what the iMore article says? Could it be a screen manufacturing fault?
Give it some time and I’m sure we’ll know the truth.

No sir! I am not defending Apple. I am simply not going to blame Apple for damages I’ve caused. It doesn’t matter if the display is more susceptible to scratches or not. It’s still ‘glass’ and it’s still my responsibility for keeping it protected from scratches and other damages as best as I can.

Screen manufacturers fault? I doubt it! I literally just took my fingernail and quickly slid it back and forth multiple times over my display and it did not scratch. Am I stupid enough to take a coin or some keys and do the same thing? Um, No!

Year after year, many of the complaint are the same. They put the device in their pockets. What they don’t say is what was in the same pocket with the device or that they sat with the device in their pocket and the stiff threading or clothing material had enough pressure to cause the scratches. It is still not Apple’s fault or the glass manufacturer’s.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
No sir! I am not defending Apple. I am simply not going to blame Apple for damages I’ve caused. It doesn’t matter if the display is more susceptible to scratches or not. It’s still ‘glass’ and it’s still my responsibility for keeping it protected from scratches and other damages as best as I can.

Screen manufacturers fault? I doubt it! I literally just took my fingernail and quickly slid it back and forth multiple times over my display and it did not scratch. Am I stupid enough to take a coin or some keys and do the same thing? Um, No!

Year after year, many of the complaint are the same. They put the device in their pockets. What they don’t say is what was in the same pocket with the device or that they sat with the device in their pocket and the stiff threading or clothing material had enough pressure to cause the scratches. It is still not Apple’s fault or the glass manufacturer’s.

That’s you. One person in the world! You cannot objectively make a factual decision based on your experience alone. I see this all the time. It may end up being true, that some people are abusing their phones, but we don’t know yet. Even the iMore article states the newer screens may be more susceptible to scratches. Hoss was about we wait and see?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That’s you. One person in the world! You cannot objectively make a factual decision based on your experience alone. I see this all the time. It may end up being true, that some people are abusing their phones, but we don’t know yet. Even the iMore article states the newer screens may be more susceptible to scratches. Hoss was about we wait and see?

True, but I’m not saying that those people are ‘abusing’ their iPhones. Still, as you wish, we’ll wait.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
True, but I’m not saying that those people are ‘abusing’ their iPhones. Still, as you wish, we’ll wait.

Putting your phone in your pocket with your keys, in my humble opinion, would be abusing it. Having nothing in your pocket and the stitching of your pocket scratches it? Then I have questions about the screen.
That’s just my opinion and in no way some official definition of “abuse”.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I disagree. Once I purchase my device/product, it's my responsibility to maintain it not Apples regardless of how fragile it might be. When I purchase a Vase (extremely fragile) the company/manufacture is not responsible. Let's not continue to blame others for our own shortcoming as this is what's wrong with the world now in my honest opinion. Apple does us a favor by making the screens less susceptible to scratches, but consumers make the final decision to purchase.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, based on the independent scratch tests I’ve seen on line the 11 falls exactly where Apple claims as far as scratching. Also, look at the picture in the iMore article. It looks like someone took a drill to that screen. I’d like to know what was in his pocket with that phone. What did he have in there, a honey badger?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I disagree. Once I purchase my device/product, it's my responsibility to maintain it not Apples regardless of how fragile it might be. When I purchase a Vase (extremely fragile) the company/manufacture is not responsible. Let's not continue to blame others for our own shortcoming as this is what's wrong with the world now in my honest opinion. Apple does us a favor by making the screens less susceptible to scratches, but consumers make the final decision to purchase.

I knew you would disagree but I will make my own comments and stick by them.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I knew you would disagree but I will make my own comments and stick by them.

I can only agree with you if the iPhone 11 is more prone to scratching compared to the previous iPhone versions. If under the same circumstances the iPhone 11 scratches the same or more than an iPhone XS, then yes, Apple made a false statement and should be held accountable.
But if the iPhone 11 scratches less or is harder to get scratched, than those complainers have no ground for complaining and should be told so by other people.

But then again, even if Apple said that it wouldn’t scratch under any circumstances, people shouldn’t have taken Apples word for it.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I can only agree with you if the iPhone 11 is more prone to scratching compared to the previous iPhone versions. If under the same circumstances the iPhone 11 scratches the same or more than an iPhone XS, then yes, Apple made a false statement and should be held accountable.
But if the iPhone 11 scratches less or is harder to get scratched, than those complainers have no ground for complaining and should be told so by other people.

But then again, even if Apple said that it wouldn’t scratch under any circumstances, people shouldn’t have taken Apples word for it.

I’m not saying Apple is lying.

Read the article from at the top of the page. Remember, it’s from iMore, not some individual who is trying to hate on iPhone. I imagine iMore posts these articles so we can have intelligent conversations about them. The article states “Having said that, Apple's iPhones in recent years have tended toward being more shatter resistant, which can sometimes mean compromising how resistant the screen is to scratching. It remains to be seen whether these reports fall into the category of previous launch complaints, or whether there is something more significant afoot.”

Thus my comment let’s wait and see before automatically blaming the users. Glass scratches but we all know products can be defective also. Some people on here want to defend Apple so badly that we can’t even have a civil conversation.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Read the article from at the top of the page. Remember, it’s from iMore, not some individual who is trying to hate on iPhone. I imagine iMore posts these articles so we can have intelligent conversations about them. The article states “Having said that, Apple's iPhones in recent years have tended toward being more shatter resistant, which can sometimes mean compromising how resistant the screen is to scratching. It remains to be seen whether these reports fall into the category of previous launch complaints, or whether there is something more significant afoot.”

Thus my comment let’s wait and see before automatically blaming the users. Glass scratches but we all know products can be defective also. Some people on here want to defend Apple so badly that we can’t even have a civil conversation.

We’re good. I understand you and you understand me.
I wouldn’t say those people are defending Apple to a fault, but they’re simply asking for common sense to prevail, above pot stirring and cheap thrills from attention seekers.
Apple is one of the biggest and might I add, successful companies of the world. People throw more mud at it than to other companies. Some people on this forum are just tired of that.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
We’re good. I understand you and you understand me.
I wouldn’t say those people are defending Apple to a fault, but they’re simply asking for common sense to prevail, above pot stirring and cheap thrills from attention seekers.
Apple is one of the biggest and might I add, successful companies of the world. People throw more mud at it than to other companies. Some people on this forum are just tired of that.

I get it, trust me.
I use both iPhone and Android. Mostly iPhone but I’m one of those people who get bored once in a while so I use something different for a few weeks. It also helps me to understand why I prefer iPhone after all. It works best for me.

The same thing happens on Android Central. Rabid “fans” calling iPhone users sheep, lazy, etc. I always jump in and attempt to redirect those ridiculous claims also. They claim they are looked down upon by iPhone users so they have to defend Google.

All I’m saying about the above article is let’s not draw conclusions before the jury has been picked or the evidence analyzed.

Enjoy your day everyone and thanks for understanding @Tartarus.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Fanboys will be Fanboys. For some, Apple can do no wrong.
There's too much we don't know yet. Are there considerably more complaints about the iPhone 11 screen scratches than any of the previous iPhones? Were users simply more careless, because of how Apple pushed the screens as the most durable ever? I had my first 6s Plus over 3 years with not a single scratch. I didn't use a screen protector. Had I upgraded to the iPhone 11, and suddenly started seeing scratches under the same use habits, yeah, I'd have been upset.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Fanboys will be Fanboys. For some, Apple can do no wrong.
There's too much we don't know yet. Are there considerably more complaints about the iPhone 11 screen scratches than any of the previous iPhones? Were users simply more careless, because of how Apple pushed the screens as the most durable ever? I had my first 6s Plus over 3 years with not a single scratch. I didn't use a screen protector. Had I upgraded to the iPhone 11, and suddenly started seeing scratches under the same use habits, yeah, I'd have been upset.

Well said.
Thank you for clearly verbalizing what I (poorly) intended to.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
13e3e43cf4c760399d0c7c9030690179.jpg

A curved scratch on the screen?

No idea how the user accomplished that, But that’s certainly not from anyone’s pocket.