Apple today released a message directed at all the concerns swirling around about iPhone security. The message focused on the Google's blog about iOS vulnerabilities.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    09-06-2019 01:30 PM
    Apple today released a message directed at all the concerns swirling around about iPhone security. The message focused on the Google's blog about iOS vulnerabilities.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    Google’s Project Zero is a highly reputable division which is tasked with finding zero-day vulnerabilities such as hackable bugs which are exploited by criminals or state sponsored hackers etc. They work with many companies to make their platforms as secure as possible.

Apple is likely to take issue with their findings because it threatens their claims of iOS being a bastion of privacy and security. No software operating system is perfect...that’s why software security firms/divisions like Project Zero exist. And no, they aren’t used for cheap PR one-ups against rivals.

The fact that iPhones (and Androids) could be hacked that way is concerning. Luckily, security patches have been released to address those concerns.

I doubt whether we will ever know the full truth about the hackers’ targets (whether the targets were Uighurs in China or if the hack was indiscriminate) but given its reputation I’m inclined to give Project Zero the benefit of the doubt and am more likely to believe it than Apple themselves.
    09-07-2019 05:15 AM
    Google’s Project Zero is a highly reputable division which is tasked with finding zero-day vulnerabilities such as hackable bugs which are exploited by criminals or state sponsored hackers etc. They work with many companies to make their platforms as secure as possible.

Apple is likely to take issue with their findings because it threatens their claims of iOS being a bastion of privacy and security. No software operating system is perfect...that’s why software security firms/divisions like Project Zero exist. And no, they aren’t used for cheap PR one-ups against rivals.

The fact that iPhones (and Androids) could be hacked that way is concerning. Luckily, security patches have been released to address those concerns.

I doubt whether we will ever know the full truth about the hackers’ targets (whether the targets were Uighurs in China or if the hack was indiscriminate) but given its reputation I’m inclined to give Project Zero the benefit of the doubt and am more likely to believe it than Apple themselves.
    If Apple has made it widely known that they are pro privacy and pro security do you not think that they would put together a team just as capable as Google’s Project Zero team to assist in keeping its products as secure as possible?

There are tons of Android devices throughout the world in comparison to the iPhone, but since Apple is arguably the bigger name the iPhone is often mentioned to garner interest/clicks. In your comments above, you stated Apple is likely to take issue with Project Zero’s findings and that you would more likely give PZ the benefit of the doubt than Apple. I don’t have a problem with that.

My concern is this: I highly doubt Apple is not doing what it claims to be doing in regard to privacy and security when its CEO has made it widely known that they are about both. Furthermore, since whatever Apple does is big news and is highly scrutinized, I tend to believe Apple more that Google. We know who has the better reputation.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 09-07-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    09-07-2019 07:36 AM
    If Apple has made it widely known that they are pro privacy and pro security do you not think that they would put together a team just as capable as Google’s Project Zero team to assist in keeping its products as secure as possible?

There are tons of Android devices throughout the world in comparison to the iPhone, but since Apple is arguably the bigger name the iPhone is often mentioned to garner interest/clicks. In your comments above, you stated Apple is likely to take issue with Project Zero’s findings and that you would more likely give PZ the benefit of the doubt than Apple. I don’t have a problem with that.

My concern is this: I highly doubt Apple is not doing what it claims to be doing in regard to privacy and security when its CEO has made it widely known that they are about both. Furthermore, since whatever Apple does is big news and is highly scrutinized, I tend to believe Apple more that Google. We know who has the better reputation.
    This!
    Just_Me_D and scruffypig like this.
    09-07-2019 08:43 AM

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/6/20...se-impressions

I’m not saying that Google has a better reputation than Apple or vice versa. I’m saying out of the ‘3’ Project Zero has the best track record in my opinion (just Project Zero, not Google).

I agree that Apple took the situation seriously (the patch released was quite prompt)...but if you read the full report and Apple’s statement, Apple has taken what PZ stated out of context to cast doubt on their findings.

Trying to discredit/take out of context a reputable and true report on software security weaknesses is counter-productive in my opinion, because the bottom line should be fixing the faults as soon as possible and learning lessons from the exploits (the former of which Apple did and I’m hoping that they will do the latter).

I’m sure Apple has a dedicated software security team but in this case PZ found it first before they were aware of it. PZ always publishes its findings, so there’s no inconsistency either.

If this were the other way round with Apple helping Google fix software security flaws and Google trying to discredit them while acknowledging the report’s truth by fixing the exploit, I would be criticising Google as strongly as I’m currently criticising Apple.

Security is too important (and especially for Apple in this case) for cheap attempts to discredit rivals is all I’m saying.
    09-07-2019 11:31 AM