This is what it’s like to get locked out of your Apple account

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Luke Kurtis was a devout Apple user for nearly 15 years, but one day, thanks to iTunes card that was stolen (not by him), he was locked out of his Apple account and a two-month nightmare ensued.Getting locked out of your Apple account can turn into quite an ordeal

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Getting locked out of your Apple account can turn into a nightmare

This isn't really an Apple issue as it is a technology one.

He continued to do that by scooping up discounted iTunes cards through third-party sellers. However, one such purchase led to him being locked out of his account because it was a stolen card.

The moral of the story, according to Kurtis, is not to cast blame on Apple. This was an incident with Apple at the forefront, but the same thing can happen with any other companies the dabbles in cloud services like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Sony, Samsung, and countless others.

Sorry to be the Grumpy Old Man, but if you buy discounted iTunes cards from third-party resellers, NO MATTER HOW REPUTABLE THEY ARE, you run the chance of getting burned.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
“The moral of the story, according to Kurtis, is not to cast blame on Apple. This was an incident with Apple at the forefront, but the same thing can happen with any other companies the dabbles in cloud services like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Sony, Samsung, and countless others.”

Obviously iMore would take care to emphasise that it’s not Apple’s fault, being a pro-Apple site. It could happen to others with other companies. But since we’re doing this in a case by case basis, the way Apple treated one of their long-term faithful customers is disgraceful. There is no excuse for such dismissive attitudes towards their customers.

What iMore didn’t mention was that Luke Kurtis also mentioned this:

“I’m not making any hasty decisions, but when it comes time to upgrade my phone, I’m likely going to try out an Android. After what’s happened with Apple, I want to engage in a bit of digital independence and not tie myself to a single company’s ecosystem. And perhaps after 11 years of using an iPhone, that’s not the worst idea.”

This is the full article by Kurtis himself:

https://apple.news/AXGbHIG_zSZSqWNOR2YXAuA

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is a case of poor lower management and rigid security protocols without someone taking the initiative or having fear to make a judgment call to reinstate the man’s account. This can happen pretty much anywhere.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
This is a case of poor lower management and rigid security protocols without someone taking the initiative or having fear to make a judgment call to reinstate the man’s account. This can happen pretty much anywhere.

Unfortunately in today's society, nobody wants to make a decision that could come back on them. Nobody wants to make a decision because they don't want to be held accountable.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately in today's society, nobody wants to make a decision that could come back on them. Nobody wants to make a decision because they don't want to be held accountable.

No doubt about it, sir. They want the big bucks, but then shun the responsibilities that come with the big bucks.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

I agree (I even said it could happen to others with other companies like Google/Samsung).

But I wish iMore Blog had told the whole story instead of just the rough story and an emphasis on ‘it could happen to anyone’ which is true, but it seems to be selective journalism. The Quartz article is written by Kurtis himself and provides a much clearer picture of what happened and how it felt top be locked out of an ecosystem you rely so much on.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree (I even said it could happen to others with other companies like Google/Samsung).

But I wish iMore Blog had told the whole story instead of just the rough story and an emphasis on ‘it could happen to anyone’ which is true, but it seems to be selective journalism. The Quartz article is written by Kurtis himself and provides a much clearer picture of what happened and how it felt top be locked out of an ecosystem you rely so much on.

The iMore analog article did provide the link to the Quartz article for readers to select and read. If the reader chooses not to view the quartz article, it is not the fault of iMore. It simply gave a summary. Kurtis focused on the trouble he experienced whereas as iMore focused on what could happen.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Moral of the story - in today's 'litigious society' one principle above all is the IF one does nothing, one will do nothing wrong. All levels of most businesses today seem to lean that way, but in dealing with 'third party anything' one can easily wind up with no one backing or supporting you, at any level. Managers when in 'escalated circumstance' in a CYA mode can fall back on levels of protective jargon which simply ignore the old addage where "All it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". That principle should be heralded in any 'introduction to management' protocol - BUT remember, managers are managed by managers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen