Samsung quietly removes ads poking fun of Apple’s headphone jack removal

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
So... Samsung j@cked off - I meant ‘backed off’ of the headphone jack?? Truly they are the pacesetter of the industry....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Their ads had no effect on me whatsoever. Still, as a competitor, I didn’t have a problem with the ads making fun of Apple because they were merely taking advantage of the outcry of people denouncing Apple decision to remove the headphone jack. In fact, it was smart for Samsung to do it.

Now that they’ve joined Apple with removing the headphone jack from their own smartphones, it only make sense for them to do away with the ads.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Their ads had no effect on me whatsoever. Still, as a competitor, I didn’t have a problem with the ads making fun of Apple because they were merely taking advantage of the outcry of people denouncing Apple decision to remove the headphone jack. In fact, it was smart for Samsung to do it.

Now that they’ve joined Apple with removing the headphone jack from their own smartphones, it only make sense for them to do away with the ads.

I agree. When everyone else has already removed the headphone jack, Samsung is in fact (I believe) the last major Android manufacturer to have stuck with the jack on their flagships until now, so that in itself deserves some justification in my opinion. Although it makes total sense for them to remove it I hope I can still find them because some are quite funny.

Apple, on the other hand, got a lot of flak for removing the jack but not really increasing the battery size of their phones or adding any new features which would have required the space. Instead it seemed that they wanted to pressure customers to buy their AirPods.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. When everyone else has already removed the headphone jack, Samsung is in fact (I believe) the last major Android manufacturer to have stuck with the jack on their flagships until now, so that in itself deserves some praise in my opinion. Although it makes total sense for them to remove it I hope I can still find them because some are quite funny.

Apple, on the other hand, got a lot of flak for removing the jack but not really increasing the battery size of their phones or adding any new features which would have required the space. Instead it seemed that they wanted to pressure customers to buy their AirPods.

I agree with the exception of the part about pressuring customers into buying the AirPods. Don’t forget that Apple supplies a dongle for customers that would allow their corded headphones/earbuds to work with the newer iPhone that did not have the headphone jack. A lot of people ignored the dongle and came up with all sorts of excuses to not use it. The dongle didn’t have any negative effects on the sound and the fit was snug and secure.

Apple did not have to justify removing the headphone jack and they didn’t have to justify not using the space left by the removal of the headphone jack.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I agree with the exception of the part about pressuring customers into buying the AirPods. Don’t forget that Apple supplies a dongle for customers that would allow their corded headphones/earbuds to work with the newer iPhone that did not have the headphone jack. A lot of people ignored the dongle and came up with all sorts of excuses to not use it. The dongle didn’t have any negative effects on the sound and the fit was snug and secure.

Apple did not have to justify removing the headphone jack and they didn’t have to justify not using the space left by the removal of the headphone jack.

True...I would’ve liked it if they included a dongle. And I agree when you say a lot of people ignored the dongle.

But although Apple didn’t have to justify the jack’s removal and subsequent non-use of the increases space it would have made a hell of a lot more sense to at least give a reason, even if it wasn’t a particularly good one. Because (in my humble opinion) that would:

a) silence a lot of the unjustified whinging by some reviewers/haters (there are always haters on every side)

b) to show that Apple takes note of consumers’ concerns (for PR reasons, even if they don’t care)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree. When everyone else has already removed the headphone jack, Samsung is in fact (I believe) the last major Android manufacturer to have stuck with the jack on their flagships until now, so that in itself deserves some praise in my opinion. Although it makes total sense for them to remove it I hope I can still find them because some are quite funny.

No it doesn't. Either stick to your decisions or don't.

Don't release ads bashing a company for a decision you're going to make literally one year later.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Oh god, you’re here as well. Look, if you want to have a debate do it on the other thread because I can’t be asked to do it here.

I’ve listed (what in my view) are the justifications/reasons for the jack’s removal on the Note 10, why I believe Apple got more criticism etc on the other thread (the one where you called me a hypocrite, so try to keep it civilised).

I don’t remember Google getting this much flak when they did exactly the same with the Pixel ads and then the Pixel 2.

I’ve edited the post you quoted...’praise’ wasn’t the right word, so thanks for pointing that out.

Seriously, if you disagree with me fine, we all have different views. But please just let me have my own opinion or if you want to have a civil debate do it on one thread.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh god, you’re here as well. Look, if you want to have a debate do it on the other thread because I can’t be asked to do it here.

I’ve listed (what in my view) are the justifications/reasons for the jack’s removal on the Note 10, why I believe Apple got more criticism etc on the other thread (the one where you called me a hypocrite, so try to keep it civilised).

I don’t remember Google getting this much flak when they did exactly the same with the Pixel ads and then the Pixel 2.

I’ve edited the post you quoted...’praise’ wasn’t the right word, so thanks for pointing that out.

Seriously, if you disagree with me fine, we all have different views. But please just let me have my own opinion or if you want to have a civil debate do it on one thread.

Nothing to debate here. Samsung doesn't deserve any praise...which you've agreed on. Simple.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
On the other thread we disagreed on which company should have gotten more flak, but ok.

My comment in the other thread is as follows;

Personally, in hindsight, I'm not mad at either manufacturer for their decision to remove the jack. Yea, I complained at the time but I still made my purchase and I'm happy with the outcome. But I wouldn't say neither company deserves MORE criticism than the other.

Note the emphasis on the bolded and underlined. You say Apple deserves more flak. I say neither company deserves more flak than the other but IF a company is to be held accountable at least be fair and equal in the flak you give. Especially considering Samsung went on a crusade bashing Apple only to make the same decision later.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It’s all marketing. Sammy saw an opportunity to exploit a controversial decision that Apple made to remove the headphone jack and they took action. Apple, or any other company trying to make a profit in a competitive and saturated market, would have done the exact same thing. Neither company was right or wrong (maybe just Phil for saying that Apple removed the headphone jack because they’re courageous lol).
Of course Sammy removed the ads. It would have been really stupid for them not to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2