Galaxy Note 10 is the Seventh Sign — The End of 3.5mm jacks is nigh

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Despite making all kinds of fun of Apple when they deleted the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 back in 2016, Samsung has already kicked the 3.5 mm to the curb on the Galaxy Fold, and now rumor has it they’ll be killing it off the Galaxy Note 10 as well.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Headphone jack?!?
‘Note’ for you any more...
Here, have a dongle - that’ll be $9.00 thank you very much!!

At least they made the battery bigger, added some cool new features and gave you usb-c earbuds in the box. When Apple killed the jack they didn’t add any new features which needed the space or increase the battery life.

Personally I would have preferred they kept the jack or included a dongle instead of the usb-c earbuds but it was inevitable.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
At least they made the battery bigger, added some cool new features and gave you usb-c earbuds in the box. When Apple killed the jack they didn’t add any new features which needed the space or increase the battery life.

Personally I would have preferred they kept the jack or included a dongle instead of the usb-c earbuds but it was inevitable.

And here is the issue...

When Apple killed the headphone jack a lot of people, myself included, killed them for it. But now Samsung does it (when they were releasing advertisements killing Apple for doing it) and people come around excusing it and rationalizing it.

No...keep the same energy you had when Apple did it.

I wasn't a fan of it...but now...I'm good. I love my wireless options and I've adjusted. But Samsung should DEFINITELY get criticism for doing this especially after they released ads slamming Apple for doing it. They don't deserve praise or justifications for their decision. That's incredibly hypocritical.

Additionally....saying "Apple didn't add any new features but Samsung did" is factually incorrect.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
And here is the issue...

When Apple killed the headphone jack a lot of people, myself included, killed them for it. But now Samsung does it (when they were releasing advertisements killing Apple for doing it) and people come around excusing it and rationalizing it.

No...keep the same energy you had when Apple did it.

I wasn't a fan of it...but now...I'm good. I love my wireless options and I've adjusted. But Samsung should DEFINITELY get criticism for doing this especially after they released ads slamming Apple for doing it. They don't deserve praise or justifications for their decision. That's incredibly hypocritical.

Additionally....saying "Apple didn't add any new features but Samsung did" is factually incorrect.

They don’t deserve praise, I agree. But I think there is reason behind it and it is more justified than with Apple’s move. I’m not being a hypocrite or making factually incorrect statements. And Samsung has been getting criticised for it...but notice how people aren’t making it to be as big a deal as it was with Apple? That gives me reason to suspect that people might agree when I say that Samsung’s removal of the jack isn’t as criticism-worthy as Apple.

Compared to the older Note 9 which had a jack, this is what the Note 10(+) had in terms of new features: Wireless PowerShare (the coils take up a lot of space), an in-screen fingerprint sensor and 2 more cameras. People will question how the S10 had the jack but remember...when you’re talking about all these components being fitted into a small device like the N10 then an S Pen takes a significant amount of space.

As I said before, Apple had no major space-hungry upgrades between the iPhone 7 or 6 and just removed the jack. Don’t even an increased battery life or IP67 because the first was minimal and the second doesn’t need to have the jack removed, as demonstrated by Samsung and other companies.

And as I’ve tried to point out on the other thread, those ads were short term in the grand scheme of things. They only ran for less than a year and were intended to highlight the advantages of the Note 8/S9+ compared to the iPhone X. They weren’t an advert for the Note 10. Those ads achieved their marketing purpose. As far as Samsung is concerned nobody seriously considering buying a Note 10 is going to decide not to over some hypocritical (yet effective) adverts that are over a year old.

The truth is, it’s far easier to rationalise Samsung’s removal of the jack because there was a substantial amount of new features incorporated compared to their previous phones with the jack. Apple, not so much.

BOTH companies deserve to be criticised to an extent for the jack’s removal...with that I’m behind you. But Apple deserved to be criticised more.

I hope you can see where I’m coming from (I understand your logic). It seems like we both can’t agree with each other...in which case agree to disagree.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
They don’t deserve praise, I agree. But I think there is reason behind it and it is more justified than with Apple’s move. I’m not being a hypocrite or making factually incorrect statements. And Samsung has been getting criticised for it...but notice how people aren’t making it to be as big a deal as it was with Apple? That gives me reason to suspect that people might agree when I say that Samsung’s removal of the jack isn’t as criticism-worthy as Apple.

Compared to the older Note 9 which had a jack, this is what the Note 10(+) had in terms of new features: Wireless PowerShare (the coils take up a lot of space), an in-screen fingerprint sensor and 2 more cameras. People will question how the S10 had the jack but remember...when you’re talking about all these components being fitted into a small device like the N10 then an S Pen takes a significant amount of space.

As I said before, Apple had no major space-hungry upgrades between the iPhone 7 or 6 and just removed the jack. Don’t even an increased battery life or IP67 because the first was minimal and the second doesn’t need to have the jack removed, as demonstrated by Samsung and other companies.

And as I’ve tried to point out on the other thread, those ads were short term in the grand scheme of things. They only ran for less than a year and were intended to highlight the advantages of the Note 8/S9+ compared to the iPhone X. They weren’t an advert for the Note 10. Those ads achieved their marketing purpose. As far as Samsung is concerned nobody seriously considering buying a Note 10 is going to decide not to over some hypocritical (yet effective) adverts that are over a year old.

The truth is, it’s far easier to rationalise Samsung’s removal of the jack because there was a substantial amount of new features incorporated compared to their previous phones with the jack. Apple, not so much.

BOTH companies deserve to be criticised to an extent for the jack’s removal...with that I’m behind you. But Apple deserved to be criticised more.

I hope you can see where I’m coming from (I understand your logic). It seems like we both can’t agree with each other...in which case agree to disagree.

An argument could be made that Samsung isn't getting as much criticism for their decision because they are the last ones to do it. Apple already dealt with the backlash for them. Now Samsung is simply following suit and since other manufacturers have already done this...there's no need for as much critique.

I also think Apple was laying groundwork. The removal of the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 series devices may not have added much immediately, but it certainly allowed for what turned out to be the iPhone X series and the features added to those devices.

Personally, in hindsight, I'm not mad at either manufacturer for their decision to remove the jack. Yea, I complained at the time but I still made my purchase and I'm happy with the outcome. But I wouldn't say neither company deserves MORE criticism than the other.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well I personally use bluetooth for everything and never used wired earphones. So it's a non-issue for me.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
An argument could be made that Samsung isn't getting as much criticism for their decision because they are the last ones to do it. Apple already dealt with the backlash for them. Now Samsung is simply following suit and since other manufacturers have already done this...there's no need for as much critique.

I also think Apple was laying groundwork. The removal of the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 series devices may not have added much immediately, but it certainly allowed for what turned out to be the iPhone X series and the features added to those devices.

Personally, in hindsight, I'm not mad at either manufacturer for their decision to remove the jack. Yea, I complained at the time but I still made my purchase and I'm happy with the outcome. But I wouldn't say neither company deserves MORE criticism than the other.

Ok then...debate resolved :)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I personally use bluetooth for everything and never used wired earphones. So it's a non-issue for me.

Same here I was on Bluetooth long before the removal and one of many that didn’t complain when it took place. Never liked my smartphones looking like a Sony tape player

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I’m still not a fan of it, no matter how mainstream it has become. If my Bluetooth headphones lose battery, I’m screwed unless I use ’s headphones. I don’t like them, so I’m screwed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73