One Drop Chrome makes glucose monitoring a simple affair — Let's review

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Having diabetes is no fun, believe me. But this beautiful blood glucose monitor helps make managing it a bit better.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Before committing to any brand of glucose monitoring, do your research with respect to price and availability of both stripes & lancets. They can vary widely with the area where you are purchasing. I was a 'One Touch' user for years, then when the meter went haywire ( and scared me into thinking I was soon headed towards insulin dependency) my Pharmacist suggested Accuchek Performa ( based on local avalibility of supplies) & I haven't looked back. As long as the Dr writes a prescription, the meter was free & I get the strip & lancers at a very reduced price ( half that of the supplies for One Touch) I've been a 'controlled Type 2' diabetic for about 10 years and am stable so far but can't stress enough that monitoring & medical supervision is a must.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
As a controlled type 2 diabetic for about 5 years, I've tried several meters but seem to come back to the OneTouch Verio Flex® meter. It just seems to work the best for me and the app pulls in all data from my watch and phone.

But yes, do research before just going on Amazon and ordering a meter. If you search the webs, you'll find several studies where independent companies tested sever meters for accuracy. You'll be surprised at the ones that made the list and the ones that didn't.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Living in the Caribbean of course further limits the availability of supplies ( and increases the price in some cases) My One Touch I brought with me when I moved from Canada. It slowly started showing rising fasting sugar levels which were never supported by the A1C numbers which are done every 6 months. The readings I get with Accuchek jive with what the A1C approximates and as recently as yesterday (my 3 month Dr appointment & prescription renewal) were very very close to what the doctors meter read. Fortunately he did not accept the wonky failed One Touch readings as gospel and go beyond my Metformin regimen.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I really enjoyed the one touch Verio monitor as well. However my insurance company made me switch to Acura check recently. It’s OK but I really prefer the one touch Verio. It really stinks not being able to choose my own monitor or else I might check this one out.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I really enjoyed the one touch Verio monitor as well. However my insurance company made me switch to Acura check recently. It’s OK but I really prefer the one touch Verio. It really stinks not being able to choose my own monitor or else I might check this one out.

Why? I got my One Touch from Amazon, no prescription. Had to pay a whopping $20 for it, but still.

Well, let me rephrase that. I did have a prescription for my fist one, but then decided to hit Amazon.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been diabetic T2 for 10+ years now and my insurance company tells me what glucose meters it will cover. So in that aspect I don’t have an option to choose. I currently use an Accu-Chek meter together with the app and every time I check my glucose it sends the results right to my phone to keep record of it !

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
At least my former meter ( Ultra OneTouch) from Canada & My AccuChek ( obtained here) are calibrated the same way with international units (mmol/L) and not the mg/dL which a few available here come in. Doctors & labs here do not normally report in US values but many people who obtain meters while visiting the US have their system. Since one normally initializes a meter with a time & date reference ( my One Touch also needed a 'code' for the strips -but it rarely changed) I'm surprised that 'units' isn't changeable by the user at least for set up. The AccuChek 'Lancet Tool'. ( takes a 6 lancet drum) is virtually painless to use unless set far too high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2