Apple’s TV service: Everything you need to know!

timboehm

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What the hell was that??? Everything was epic until we got TV Channels and TV +. That was so confusing... why not just announce Apple New TV Subscription service with local channels for half the cost of all the other streaming services with the best UIX in the world and have all these awesome Apple produced shows... no, we got mass confusion.
Why do I want to use your TV App to watch my Hulu Live? I'm used to Hulu Live and your UIX looks to be as confusing as everything else out there. Steve, you gotta be rolling in your grave on that one.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What the hell was that??? Everything was epic until we got TV Channels and TV +. That was so confusing... why not just announce Apple New TV Subscription service with local channels for half the cost of all the other streaming services with the best UIX in the world and have all these awesome Apple produced shows... no, we got mass confusion.
Why do I want to use your TV App to watch my Hulu Live? I'm used to Hulu Live and your UIX looks to be as confusing as everything else out there. Steve, you gotta be rolling in your grave on that one.

Maybe I’m the minority because I understood it just fine. I actually use the TV app now when I want to continue watching something. It’s a great common area that keeps me from going in & out of tons of apps.

timboehm

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Well said. My point was that they used the word subscription and service together. So, is this an actual service we subscribe to now or does it exist as a layer over our existing streaming services? Instead of mentioning two different services it would've made more sense to simply showcase it all as one, with local channels, etc for a monthly fee. Instead we are left in the dark as to what any of this will eventually cost us or if it will in fact replace our existing streaming services like Hulu Live, DirectTVNow, YouTube +, etc.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This was....boring and extremely underwhelming, imo. I'm still not sure why we need Apple in this space nor do I understand what they are offering that we need.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Well said. My point was that they used the word subscription and service together. So, is this an actual service we subscribe to now or does it exist as a layer over our existing streaming services? Instead of mentioning two different services it would've made more sense to simply showcase it all as one, with local channels, etc for a monthly fee. Instead we are left in the dark as to what any of this will eventually cost us or if it will in fact replace our existing streaming services like Hulu Live, DirectTVNow, YouTube +, etc.

Gotcha!! It seems like a layered thing. The TV app will function as it is with added features plus there’s a subscription people have the options to sign up for to watch original programming. Seemed very Netflix to me.

This was....boring and extremely underwhelming, imo. I'm still not sure why we need Apple in this space nor do I understand what they are offering that we need.

I honestly don’t mind it because options are great. I hate Hulu programming, so something in addition to Netflix is a welcome option. I have Prime mainly for shopping, but I do watch their programming occasionally. It’s also not that great. The good thing is that it’s a subscription & it can be canceled at any time.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha!! It seems like a layered thing. The TV app will function as it is with added features plus there’s a subscription people have the options to sign up for to watch original programming. Seemed very Netflix to me.

I honestly don’t mind it because options are great. I hate Hulu programming, so something in addition to Netflix is a welcome option. I have Prime mainly for shopping, but I do watch their programming occasionally. It’s also not that great. The good thing is that it’s a subscription & it can be canceled at any time.

I certainly don't mind it either, just unsure why Apple felt the need to go in this direction, is all. And maybe it's because I'm not sure why they felt a keynote was necessary? The end product isn't exciting enough to necessitate what has become an iconic means of announcing their products. They gave us a keynote but left a lot of questions unanswered.

I don't know...I just wasn't personally impressed. I'll keep my eye on the service though to see what all it has to offer. Maybe my opinions and views will change once it's in the wild and I'll realize this is a service I didn't know I needed until I needed it. Apple has done that in the past.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I certainly don't mind it either, just unsure why Apple felt the need to go in this direction, is all. And maybe it's because I'm not sure why they felt a keynote was necessary? The end product isn't exciting enough to necessitate what has become an iconic means of announcing their products. They gave us a keynote but left a lot of questions unanswered.

I don't know...I just wasn't personally impressed. I'll keep my eye on the service though to see what all it has to offer. Maybe my opinions and views will change once it's in the wild and I'll realize this is a service I didn't know I needed until I needed it. Apple has done that in the past.

I agree with not understanding the purpose of the keynote. It’s mind boggling. Regardless of how they announced it, I’m very interested in the lineup & the updated book club.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No exaggeration, but first time I’ve ever just rage stopped watching the keynote. It happened during the montage of the Hollywood elite telling me how creative they are and how their job isn’t easy. It was pretentious and cringeworthy at the same time.

Apple is like Howard Stern. They used to go against the grain and now they pander to an audience that worships Hollywood.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
No exaggeration, but first time I’ve ever just rage stopped watching the keynote. It happened during the montage of the Hollywood elite telling me how creative they are and how their job isn’t easy. It was pretentious and cringeworthy at the same time.

Apple is like Howard Stern. They used to go against the grain and now they pander to an audience that worships Hollywood.

While some definitely worship Hollywood, I think most folks just want to know they’re subscribing to something more than the crappy D list movies & actors.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
While some definitely worship Hollywood, I think most folks just want to know they’re subscribing to something more than the crappy D list movies & actors.

The beauty of services like Netflix is that it’s actually that much more diverse than what Hollywood claims to be. Doesn’t matter how great or bad the content is. It can end up on someplace like Netflix. Apple seems to want to push hollywood’s narrative more.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't mind Hulu for being able to catch up on shows that I missed when they originally aired. I'm not wild about much of their "original programming" either. We have a Roku box, on which Apple TV will supposedly be available. I'm very interested to see what that means exactly.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The beauty of services like Netflix is that it’s actually that much more diverse than what Hollywood claims to be. Doesn’t matter how great or bad the content is. It can end up on someplace like Netflix. Apple seems to want to push hollywood’s narrative more.

I can agree with this!! Hopefully, they’ll be able to offer well rounded content...otherwise it’ll probably cost way more than anyone wants to pay.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am starting the free trial for a week. I love animal documentaries, and wanted to check out The Elephant Queen, the 4K picture is incredible on my LG tv.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I’m taking advantage of my 1 year free trial ! I’ve already watched S1 all episodes of The Morning Show...LOVE IT ! Can’t wait till that’s back.
Haven’t had time to venture into anything else yet...it’s been a busy weekend !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox