According to a new report, Ring has been giving some of its Ukraine employees unfiltered access to its customers' smart cameras and doorbells.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    01-10-2019 03:12 PM
    Sounds about right. I basically gave my privacy away the day I started using the internet. What did we think would happen when we started putting cloud-connected microphones and speakers all over our homes?
    joemd60 and Lee_Bo like this.
    01-10-2019 06:21 PM
    Sounds about right. I basically gave my privacy away the day I started using the internet. What did we think would happen when we started putting cloud-connected microphones and speakers all over our homes?
    Understanding that a possibility exist for something like this to occur is one thing but it’s another to ‘expect’ something like this to happen. I don’t think people who are buying these cloud based security services expect those companies to peep through those cameras.
    01-10-2019 07:02 PM
    I still quite like my wind- up doorbell !
    01-10-2019 07:09 PM
    Understanding that a possibility exist for something like this to occur is one thing but it’s another to ‘expect’ something like this to happen. I don’t think people who are buying these cloud based security services expect those companies to peep through those cameras.
    Oh for sure. I certainly don’t expect that my devices are listening to me but if it turned out they were I definitely wouldn’t be surprised.
    01-10-2019 07:10 PM
    Ring employees may have been spying on your security cameras and doorbells
    The NSA has been watching you since way before Ring doorbells.
    01-11-2019 10:13 AM
    There was quite a conversation about this at family gatherings over the holidays. Some of the millennial-aged members of my extended family are so against things like Alexa, Homepods, echo dots, etc. Yet others, mainly people in my age range, are fascinated by the technology. I found that to be intriguing because I would have expected it to be the other way around.
    01-11-2019 10:57 AM
    There was quite a conversation about this at family gatherings over the holidays. Some of the millennial-aged members of my extended family are so against things like Alexa, Homepods, echo dots, etc. Yet others, mainly people in my age range, are fascinated by the technology. I found that to be intriguing because I would have expected it to be the other way around.
    Other than Siri on my Apple Devices, I have a HomePod that I unplug on occasion. Because of the times we live in and the disregard for privacy in general is the primary reason for me not being so welcoming of this tech.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-11-2019 01:45 PM
    According to a new report, Ring has been giving some of its Ukraine employees unfiltered access to its customers' smart cameras and doorbells.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    What I dislike most about the article was this comment when it was discovered that the video footage was unencrypted.

“encryption would make the company less valuable."

That statement tells me that privacy is not even a consideration.
    Annie_8plus, Tartarus and joemd60 like this.
    01-11-2019 01:47 PM
    Other than Siri on my Apple Devices, I have a HomePod that I unplug on occasion. Because of the times we live in and the disregard for privacy in general is the primary reason for me not being so welcoming of this tech.
    That's a really good idea!
    01-11-2019 02:38 PM
    What I dislike most about the article was this comment when it was discovered that the video footage was unencrypted.

“encryption would make the company less valuable."

That statement tells me that privacy is not even a consideration.
    I had noticed this comment too, but have always understood that what is good for business is probably not good for me, nor intended to be.
    01-11-2019 04:43 PM
    I had noticed this comment too, but have always understood that what is good for business is probably not good for me, nor intended to be.
    Don't get me wrong. I understand 'business' and the primary reason for going into business - to offer a product or service at a profit. With that being said, if you're going to offer a 'security-based product', at least let it be secure. Again, I'm just nitpicking.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 01-11-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    joemd60 likes this.
    01-11-2019 05:42 PM
    Modern technology at its finest. Articles like those make people afraid to evolve.
    Last edited by joemd60; 01-11-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    01-11-2019 06:27 PM
    Modern technology at its finest. Articles like those make people afraid to evolve.
    This is a matter of trust and expectation and not an issue of evolving, in my opinion.
    01-12-2019 01:18 PM
    This is a matter of trust and expectation and not an issue of evolving, in my opinion.
    I understand your point. What I was driving at, there are those that refuse to grasp onto modern technology.
    I.E. smartphones, smart homes, ATM’s, and mobile banking etc.
    They’re still old school, they don’t trust it for their own personal reasons.
    Than they read articles like that, and it just cements their reasoning not to.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-12-2019 03:48 PM
    I understand your point. What I was driving at, there are those that refuse to grasp onto modern technology.
    I.E. smartphones, smart homes, ATM’s, and mobile banking etc.
    They’re still old school, they don’t trust it for their own personal reasons.
    Than they read articles like that, and it just cements their reasoning not to.
    Oh okay. I understand what you’re saying now. Thanks for the clarification...
    joemd60 likes this.
    01-12-2019 04:17 PM
    Oh okay. I understand what you’re saying now. Thanks for the clarification...
    01-12-2019 04:18 PM