No laws were broken when Cambridge Analytica collected the data of 50 million Facebook users and used it to influence the election for president of the United States. There was no leak and no breach; just gross negligence — and that's terrifying.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    03-20-2018 01:10 PM
    Facebook didn't do anything malicious here. And once they found out about the ways user data was being utilized, they cut the cord from Cambridge. These articles seem rather sensational, honestly. The data Facebook has on it's users is no secret. And they make it known. I think we should point our torches at Cambridge. Not Facebook. Using their service is a choice and you use it in exchange for ALL of the data they will get about you.
    Annie_8plus and DMP89145 like this.
    03-20-2018 01:24 PM
    Seriously, if someone is that worried about their information being collected, then I suggest they completely delete ALL online presence, including all email addresses, cancel all power, water, sewer and phone services, move into the woods to live off the land and off the grid.
    Annie_8plus and DMP89145 like this.
    03-21-2018 09:27 AM
    So after the initial alarmed feeling of "oh no, now what!!!???" after seeing the headline, I read the article, as well as a couple of similar articles, I'm with the two of you.
    03-21-2018 09:53 AM
    Seriously, if someone is that worried about their information being collected, then I suggest they completely delete ALL online presence, including all email addresses, cancel all power, water, sewer and phone services, move into the woods to live off the land and off the grid.
    No that will not work because the animals will eventually get information about peeps doing this and finding out there these peeps are living and come over and invade ones privacy.

See there is not any way out of this problem.
    03-21-2018 07:13 PM
    And once they found out about the ways user data was being utilized, they cut the cord from Cambridge.
    Apparently they only cut the cord the day before the news agency called them to tell them that they were going with the story.

On Friday, Facebook said it learned about the academic sharing the data in 2015 and demanded the parties delete the data. Facebook said it learned this month the parties kept those records despite saying the information had been destroyed.
    It seems as though they just took Cambridge's answer in 2015 and never followed up again. It's been a regular practice at facebook.

According to Mr. Parakilas, a media report in 2011 said the social-media startup Klout Inc. had created profiles for minors without their knowledge using Facebook data. Klout quickly stopped the practice after the report, Mr. Parakilas said.

Soon after, Mr. Parakilas said, he called Klout’s management team to ask if the startup was violating Facebook’s data policies. Klout officials denied it violated the policies, Mr. Parakilas said, and he asked the company to make it sure it wasn’t violating the policies in the future.

“And that was it. They continued to access the platform,” Mr. Parakilas said in an interview. “We never got to the answer of what happened.”
    More on this from this WSJ article.
    03-21-2018 07:43 PM
    Apparently they only cut the cord the day before the news agency called them to tell them that they were going with the story.

It seems as though they just took Cambridge's answer in 2015 and never followed up again. It's been a regular practice at facebook.

More on this from this WSJ article.
    So basically Facebook needs to strengthen the enforcement of their policies rather than taking these companies at their word. They should be more proactive in the protecting of user data as it relates to the third parties who have access to this information.
    03-22-2018 12:14 PM
    So basically Facebook needs to strengthen the enforcement of their policies rather than taking these companies at their word.
    Yes. Then the question is if they can police themselves. I say no.

They should be more proactive in the protecting of user data as it relates to the third parties who have access to this information.
    Exactly. Then the question is if that will happen in the future. I say no. Not much will change out of all this.
    03-22-2018 03:03 PM