The only way to win the social game is not to play.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    03-19-2018 09:10 AM
    The title of this article and thread is not correct. It should be "Delete your Facebook profile".
    03-19-2018 09:55 AM
    The title of this article and thread is not correct. It should be "Delete your Facebook profile".
    That’s implied
    BreakingKayfabe and Sherry_B like this.
    03-19-2018 02:29 PM
    "So the firm harvested private information from the Facebook profiles of more than 50 million users without their permission.........."

That's really no big deal if you consider all the info the government collects when you simply power on your device.

Just saying.
    03-19-2018 03:12 PM
    I would argue the majority of FaceBook users simply don't care about this. Facebook truly has people "addicted" to their devices.
    03-19-2018 04:15 PM
    The users (mostly old people) that “don’t care” are usually the easiest to exploit and get what they deserve. I understand when a person is unsuspecting but when it gets to the point that you’re being told straight up about what your data is being used for and you keep going you’ll get what’s coming to you. I have no sympathy.
    03-19-2018 05:54 PM
    This has been going on for at least 5 years under the previous administration.
    03-19-2018 07:40 PM
    Facebook truly has people "addicted" to their devices.
    I disagree. It's Snapchat, Instagram and text messages.
    03-19-2018 08:11 PM
    Facebook is always trying to yield to add more about myself. Nope! I have location turned off for Facebook and deleted my location history.
    03-19-2018 08:56 PM
    I disagree. It's Snapchat, Instagram and text messages.
    Facebook owns Instagram and Snapchat doesn’t have nearly the user base Facebook has. Facebook was the first social media platform with over a billion users and I’m not sure anyone has came close. But honestly it’s all social media. Facebook is just the largest player of them all.
    03-19-2018 09:16 PM
    This has been going on for at least 5 years under the previous administration.
    From the article
    The firm had secured a $15 million investment from Robert Mercer, the wealthy Republican donor, and wooed his political adviser, Stephen K. Bannon, with the promise of tools that could identify the personalities of American voters and influence their behavior. But it did not have the data to make its new products work.
    I’m not sure how the previous administration was utilizing this data. From what I’ve read it seems more likely that Trump and Hilary would have benefited more from this. The timing doesn’t add up so I’m not sure what the previous administration would have to do with this. Unless there’s more information out there.
    03-19-2018 09:25 PM
    From the article

I’m not sure how the previous administration was utilizing this data. From what I’ve read it seems more likely that Trump and Hilary would have benefited more from this. The timing doesn’t add up so I’m not sure what the previous administration would have to do with this. Unless there’s more information out there.
    and besides, who the hell cares if it was going on under the “previous administration”? That’s not what the subject matter is really about here. It’s about how easily Facebook makes data mining. Of course homeboy couldn’t help himself and turn this political, lol
    03-19-2018 10:49 PM
    and besides, who the hell cares if it was going on under the “previous administration”? That’s not what the subject matter is really about here. It’s about how easily Facebook makes data mining. Of course homeboy couldn’t help himself and turn this political, lol
    Admittedly, I wasn't sure why pointing out administrations would be relevant to this topic but eh...lol.
    03-19-2018 10:51 PM
    Admittedly, I wasn't sure why pointing out administrations would be relevant to this topic but eh...lol.
    Yeah, we have our resident Russian bot :rofl:
    03-19-2018 10:56 PM
    The users (mostly old people) that “don’t care” are usually the easiest to exploit and get what they deserve. I understand when a person is unsuspecting but when it gets to the point that you’re being told straight up about what your data is being used for and you keep going you’ll get what’s coming to you. I have no sympathy.
    The thing about old people is that we are often cantankerous, and sometimes even notably bad tempered. this is often caused by being surrounded by children with no empathy, no understanding of IT being a new land to us,and general stupidity.
    03-20-2018 07:23 AM
    That’s implied
    How is it?
    03-20-2018 07:53 AM
    The thing about old people is that we are often cantankerous, and sometimes even notably bad tempered. this is often caused by being surrounded by children with no empathy, no understanding of IT being a new land to us,and general stupidity.
    It helps when people stop having children.
    Tartarus likes this.
    03-20-2018 11:26 AM
    From the article

The point is this. Data mining by the government isn’t new and Facebook has been a willing participant for years.
    03-20-2018 11:32 AM
    The point is this. Data mining by the government isn’t new and Facebook has been a willing participant for years.
    This thread isn’t about data mining by the government. I suggest you stay on topic.
    03-20-2018 11:45 AM
    The data mining in this story didn't take place by the government nor was Facebook an active participant in this. They were negligent in securing user data, sure. But they weren't actively participating in what took place by Cambridge.
    03-20-2018 12:27 PM
    This thread isn’t about data mining by the government. I suggest you stay on topic.
    The data mining in this story didn't take place by the government nor was Facebook an active participant in this. They were negligent in securing user data, sure. But they weren't actively participating in what took place by Cambridge.
    Okay
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    03-20-2018 01:24 PM
    Seriously, if someone is that worried about their information being collected, then I suggest they completely delete ALL online presence, including all email addresses, cancel all power, water, sewer and phone services, move into the woods to live off the land and off the grid.
    Annie_8plus and Quis89 like this.
    03-21-2018 10:28 AM
    Seriously, if someone is that worried about their information being collected, then I suggest they completely delete ALL online presence, including all email addresses, cancel all power, water, sewer and phone services, move into the woods to live off the land and off the grid.
    Or they can delete Facebook and eliminate one known source of data sharing. I deleted Facebook years ago. Trust me, it’s good for your health.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    03-21-2018 12:49 PM
    I deleted my Facebook profile itself back in 2014 not really because of these issues but because it just lost its luster. Less of what my friends would post and more of what "such and such liked" on my feed and sponsored ads for things that didn't appeal to me at all. It grew into a social network for older people who use it as a way to connect with each other and spread shortsighted "libs are retards" and "religious people are crazy" memes in place of actual articles and paragraphs that people aren't savvy enough to read on their own. Someone shares those things and they get the cheer-leading comments of those who share their same views to make themselves feel some self-importance. People have become "Yelpified" and believe their opinion is really, really important and it should be put out there for everyone to see when in reality they don't matter at all. Older and younger.
    grover5 likes this.
    03-21-2018 01:33 PM
    Remember back in the day when you could not be on FaceBook with out a edu email address. It needed to be verified.

Now it's just junk.....
    Rob Phillips and grover5 like this.
    03-21-2018 03:27 PM
26 12