Delete your Facebook

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
"So the firm harvested private information from the Facebook profiles of more than 50 million users without their permission.........."

That's really no big deal if you consider all the info the government collects when you simply power on your device.

Just saying.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I would argue the majority of FaceBook users simply don't care about this. Facebook truly has people "addicted" to their devices.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The users (mostly old people) that “don’t care” are usually the easiest to exploit and get what they deserve. I understand when a person is unsuspecting but when it gets to the point that you’re being told straight up about what your data is being used for and you keep going you’ll get what’s coming to you. I have no sympathy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This has been going on for at least 5 years under the previous administration.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Facebook is always trying to yield to add more about myself. Nope! I have location turned off for Facebook and deleted my location history.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. It's Snapchat, Instagram and text messages.

Facebook owns Instagram and Snapchat doesn’t have nearly the user base Facebook has. Facebook was the first social media platform with over a billion users and I’m not sure anyone has came close. But honestly it’s all social media. Facebook is just the largest player of them all.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This has been going on for at least 5 years under the previous administration.

From the article
The firm had secured a $15 million investment from Robert Mercer, the wealthy Republican donor, and wooed his political adviser, Stephen K. Bannon, with the promise of tools that could identify the personalities of American voters and influence their behavior. But it did not have the data to make its new products work.

I’m not sure how the previous administration was utilizing this data. From what I’ve read it seems more likely that Trump and Hilary would have benefited more from this. The timing doesn’t add up so I’m not sure what the previous administration would have to do with this. Unless there’s more information out there.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
From the article

I’m not sure how the previous administration was utilizing this data. From what I’ve read it seems more likely that Trump and Hilary would have benefited more from this. The timing doesn’t add up so I’m not sure what the previous administration would have to do with this. Unless there’s more information out there.

and besides, who the hell cares if it was going on under the “previous administration”? That’s not what the subject matter is really about here. It’s about how easily Facebook makes data mining. Of course homeboy couldn’t help himself and turn this political, lol

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
and besides, who the hell cares if it was going on under the “previous administration”? That’s not what the subject matter is really about here. It’s about how easily Facebook makes data mining. Of course homeboy couldn’t help himself and turn this political, lol

Admittedly, I wasn't sure why pointing out administrations would be relevant to this topic but eh...lol.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The users (mostly old people) that “don’t care” are usually the easiest to exploit and get what they deserve. I understand when a person is unsuspecting but when it gets to the point that you’re being told straight up about what your data is being used for and you keep going you’ll get what’s coming to you. I have no sympathy.

The thing about old people is that we are often cantankerous, and sometimes even notably bad tempered. this is often caused by being surrounded by children with no empathy, no understanding of IT being a new land to us,and general stupidity.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The thing about old people is that we are often cantankerous, and sometimes even notably bad tempered. this is often caused by being surrounded by children with no empathy, no understanding of IT being a new land to us,and general stupidity.

It helps when people stop having children.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From the article

The point is this. Data mining by the government isn’t new and Facebook has been a willing participant for years.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The point is this. Data mining by the government isn’t new and Facebook has been a willing participant for years.

The data mining in this story didn't take place by the government nor was Facebook an active participant in this. They were negligent in securing user data, sure. But they weren't actively participating in what took place by Cambridge.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice