Join the discussion: MacBook vs. iPad: Which one's better?

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
iPad is killing it in terms of speed and graphics. Although there are more desktop apps for MacBook, the iPad is becoming powerful enough to run desktop class apps like Affinity Photo. Because iOS is light and designed to run apps quicker than desktop apps, I use iPad for opening Mail, Safari, and other stock apps that open slower on Mac due to their desktop size. For me, iPad Pro is my fastest device, although both iPad and Mac are great for their appropriate audiences.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
MacBook benefits is external storage and being able to plug in more external items to it. iOS has less (if any) viruses and dangers. It's also a lot harder to mess up an iPad and its OS than it is to accidentally mess something up (possibly speaking from experience lol).

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I almost use my iPad Pro exclusively. I have figured out a way to use an external USB drive at home without my MacBook. So that has helped a lot. I can use regular thumb drives with the same method. But when I'm on the go, I use one of those USB thumb drives with a lightening connector.

I agree with evanking527, it's really fast. I love the interface better than my Mac. It's very fluid interface. I have the Pencil and I connect my Zagg case/keyboard & it's great!

I'm one of those ones that would like a mouse, but isn't a necessity. iOS 11 is making the iPad Pro a real device that you can use almost exclusively for practically everything. Productivity and consumption purposes.

Now that MS Office runs on it, I can now consider this my main computer!!

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I do miss having the features of Finder on the Mac, it's still a little clunky when it comes to opening various files in more than one app. The Files app by Apple is supposed to fix that, but it doesn't come close yet. I use the File Explorer app now and it works great

User preference is key. There are still things I prefer to use my Mac with...but those are few in number

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my iPad Pro has my MacBook replacement and it has worked out quite well for me. With that in mind, I’ve recently started using a MacBook Air at work, and man, it made me realize how much I miss using a MacBook. As to which one is better, it depends on a user’s preference, needs, and finances, in my opinion....:)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I much prefer the MacBook as my primary computer. I feel like I am able to do more things on a Laptop as compared to a Tablet. The iPad however is a fantastic device that I love using for taking notes in class or entertainment.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I actually think they compliment each other. No reason to pit one against the other.

I think that's about right, they both have their uses.

I think the MacBook is known to be for powerful specific use cases, like those who are using professional apps or creating apps. The iPad can be geared towards anyone, whether young or old, to do a variety of things, but has a connotation to be a toy. The iPad takes care of many small things like web browsing and going through little apps or watching videos, and the MacBook takes care of fewer things but do them very well, like bigger apps that create content. With Affinity Photo coming to iPad, I'm excited to see what other desktop apps would come over to fill that gap between iPad and Mac, in terms of apps at least.

But yeah they sure do compliment each other to make your life easier. Duet Display makes them work together in a great way as well.