Do you really need more than 16 GB of RAM in a MacBook Pro?

Vince729

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Actually if your a heavy user that would be ideal, 16gb is too much for me since I dont open applications simultaneously, plus I only use it on school, maybe if youre going to use it in job, eg powerpoint, coz opening it simultaneously eats a lot of ram.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
16 GB is a whole lot of RAM for typical computing. Heck, it's more than a majority of user will need, in my opinion.

kristenelaine1991

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
16 it quite a bit. I honestly think it just depends on what youre going to use your computer for. If your gaming, I would find a laptop/computer more equipt for gaming.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have 16 gigs in my current MacBook Pro (Mid 2014 15 inch), I have had zero issues with memory and do a lot of music writing in Logic Pro, lot's of tracks with lot's of samples and never a hiccup.

Sent from mTalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have 16 gigs in my current MacBook Pro (Mid 2014 15 inch), I have had zero issues with memory and do a lot of music writing in Logic Pro, lot's of tracks with lot's of samples and never a hiccup.

Sent from mTalk

Logics system requirements aren't even on the same stratosphere as something like Premier Pro and DaVinci Resolve.

You can run Logic on an iMac with 8GB RAM and push it very far before you feel memory pressure.

The same machine will bottleneck running serious video editing and effects packages, by comparison.

I think you people are missing the obvious issues.

Editing music is not comparable to doing serious video work at high resolutions, especially when you must multi-task applications.

The people who need more RAM aren't running Logic Pro X.

hero11

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Your need for RAM depends on the programs you use. If you only browse one website at a time then 8 GB will do just fine. If you like to have dozens of tabs open at once, edit huge video or photo files, you may want to go beyond 16GB. Most people don’t use a laptop for such tasks, but if you do, buying enough RAM is important.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Having more than 16gb for most users is overkill. More than 8gb for most is overkill.

There should still be a BTO option, but I'm betting they made this move based on how many actually ordered that. I was also surprised to see no BTO on the SSD!